Newest Member
    joxey
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ensemble support now as well.

I was mostly joking but mid month moderation (maybe briefly warm) is looking like a better bet than it was a week or so ago.  Still plenty of time to go though and we know how hard it has been to shake this blocking and realize pattern changes lately.

Reports are increasing.... Good luck extrapolating a rise in occurrence out of that mess.

That's the problem with "Records" and "Extreme Events" now days, they are being compared to an era with poor records compared to post-internet era. Now, this doesn't apply to every type of record, but in this case its obvious. The NWS report makes mention of this being the result in event records.

1996 was the year that most of America got online in the biggest surge... "You've got Mail". In our case "You've got Hail".

LOL, um no, definitely not in the 90s. The 90s to me at least, was the golden age of the internet before 4chan wrecked it. There were no memes or LOLcats everywhere. Sure, it was mostly dial up then, but most of the non-geeks, trolls, and idiots were behind AOL's walled garden until broadband became more affordable.

Anyways, it was in the middle of '01 that most of America got online.

Reports are increasing.... Good luck extrapolating a rise in occurrence out of that mess.

That's the problem with "Records" and "Extreme Events" now days, they are being compared to an era with poor records compared to post-internet era. Now, this doesn't apply to every type of record, but in this case its obvious. The NWS report makes mention of this being the result in event records.

1996 was the year that most of America got online in the biggest surge... "You've got Mail". In our case "You've got Hail".

LOL, um no, definitely not in the 90s. The 90s to me at least, was the golden age of the internet before 4chan wrecked it. There were no memes or LOLcats everywhere. Sure, it was mostly dial up then, but most of the non-geeks, trolls, and idiots were behind AOL's walled garden until broadband became more affordable.

Anyways, it was in the middle of '01 that most of America got online.

I was setting up networks while you were pooping your pants in preschool.... The internet was heating up in the mid to late 90's.... The Napster craze was in 99' and just about every college kid was pirating music.

I do agree with you on AOL and newbs though.... I had CompuServe as my first connectivity until 94... Early 94. Windows 95 was a HUGE boost to average people using PCs and eventually the net.

Anyone who has read anything about global warming and severe thunderstorms would know that, as of now, the connection is tenuous at best. Actually, an argument can be made that extreme warming could lead to some decrease in tornadoes due to less temperature contrasts/weaker jet stream/weaker shear. Whether that would apply to hail and wind, I don't know. The drastic increase in spotters/reporting seems like an obvious reason for the increase.

Would you please stop it with your interjection of logic into that "argument?"

I was setting up networks while you were pooping your pants in preschool.... The internet was heating up in the mid to late 90's.... The Napster craze was in 99' and just about every college kid was pirating music. I do agree with you on AOL and newbs though.... I had CompuServe as my first connectivity until 94... Early 94. Windows 95 was a HUGE boost to average people using PCs and eventually the net.

We had CompuServe as well, and I wrote a bunch of mini text games in QBASIC and shared them on BBS's (unforunately I lost them all when my hard drive crashed, they were very unreliable then). The warez scene was around long before Napster was around. I was pirating DOS games (Doom and Quake was extremely fun, and FPS games today have nothing on them) and music on BBS's and Usenet before anyone else did. I did all this when I was 5 or 6 years old.

Ha!  I remember CompuServe..... My 2nd "online experience".  The first was dialing in to BBS's with my Commodore 64. (History, games, and "Atari Collectors") those were the days. 1200 baud modems.  Monochrome screens, 5 1/4" floppies. Tape drives. Who could forget those?  Yeah... that was fun stuff back then.  I was in my early 20's and in my first marriage, drove the wife nuts logging into BBS's with my Commodore, and tying up the phone line, and then, she couldn't use the phone.  All of this c.1987-88

We had CompuServe as well, and I wrote a bunch of mini text games in QBASIC and shared them on BBS's (unforunately I lost them all when my hard drive crashed, they were very unreliable then). The warez scene was around long before Napster was around. I was pirating DOS games (Doom and Quake was extremely fun, and FPS games today have nothing on them) and music on BBS's and Usenet before anyone else did. I did all this when I was 5 or 6 years old.

Yup, I used to pirate like a fiend back then. I was more into hardware than programming though.

I'm trying to remember how I was reporting weather on CompuServe, but that service is what got me interested in weather more. I used to browse other forecasts across the country and I thought it was amazing.

Ha!  I remember CompuServe..... My 2nd "online experience".  The first was dialing in to BBS's with my Commodore 64. (History, games, and "Atari Collectors") those were the days. 1200 baud modems.  Monochrome screens, 5 1/4" floppies. Tape drives. Who could forget those?  Yeah... that was fun stuff back then.  I was in my early 20's and in my first marriage, drove the wife nuts logging into BBS's with my Commodore, and tying up the phone line, and then, she couldn't use the phone.  All of this c.1987-88

Dialing BBS... Nice. 

I really sucked at that. No idea if there was any weather info on those.

Heh, I got online with a local ISP in 1995 and they had very limited number of dial up lines.  Trying to get on after supper was nearly impossible.  To avoid the busy signal, I found a little program which mimicked checking mail and browser activity.  I'd get home from work and dial right in and stay in all night.  After a couple of months, I was at their user group meeting and the owner asked everyone to quit using those programs.  Those were good times. 

I remember getting CompuServe back in 1993.  It was still DOS based, and "Command Line", until I got the first copy of WinCIM the Compuserve graphical "front end" for Windows 3.11.  Soon after, I also subscribed to AOL.  I loved both services, and the best part was, if you couldn't get on one, you could usually get on the other, but here in the  Chicago area, unless it was a Friday night, getting on AOL was usually not a problem. 

I still remember the "screeing" sound the modem used to make when it connected to the service.  Flying along at 28.8kbps, and taking 10 minutes to download a 1MB photo, to say nothing of a 3 or 4mb video....I recall my Gateway 4DX/33 rather fondly...

Heh, I got online with a local ISP in 1995 and they had very limited number of dial up lines.  Trying to get on after supper was nearly impossible.  To avoid the busy signal, I found a little program which mimicked checking mail and browser activity.  I'd get home from work and dial right in and stay in all night.  After a couple of months, I was at their user group meeting and the owner asked everyone to quit using those programs.  Those were good times. 

My sister's boyfriend at the time had an account with the university that i got to use...so i'd connect at my 2400 baud and would use telnet to get my fix.  I use to visit isca uiowa and brinta ptf (think that was in the Netherlands)..sure helped with my German homework!  I'd just ask someone who spoke German how to say stuff...    I got my first computer in high school...i didn't have enough at the time for the Pentium 60mhz so i had to settle for the DX2...  I remember kufacts?  something like that, was on Univ of Kansas and was a web server of some sort...remember it was all text and very difficult to use, but man i could go anywhere through there ;)

Speaking of weather...next week looks perfect after a cold start Mon/Tues...  lots of sun and 50F or better by midweek.  GOing to be a bike ride happening next week.

We had text only internet until 2001 in the rural Missouri boonies. That made it so hard to look at good...... Wait, this is a weather forum. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The biggest change for me was when i went from dial up 56K to cable...which was sometime around 2003 or 04???   Then there were those days of free internet because no one realized that you should encrypt your wireless signal!  Anyone notice that today you can't find an open router anywhere?  I probably have 10 or more that pop up here and i can't connect to any...except mine!  I don't encrypt...  

Quite the discussion about the internet, increasing observations linked to more severe weather. I will say my initial comment of how both snow AND severe increasing is a weenies dream....its a lot harder to tell if severe is increasing. Snow is snow....even though squalls vary over short distances, in the end, an increase in total snowfall is noted at most stations in the region. Severe is different...you could have a massive severe outbreak and the official climate station goes by untouched so it shows as just a dry, calm day in the official record, where people 5 miles away could be cleaning up downed limbs for weeks.

Quite the discussion about the internet, increasing observations linked to more severe weather. I will say my initial comment of how both snow AND severe increasing is a weenies dream....its a lot harder to tell if severe is increasing. Snow is snow....even though squalls vary over short distances, in the end, an increase in total snowfall is noted at most stations in the region. Severe is different...you could have a massive severe outbreak and the official climate station goes by untouched so it shows as just a dry, calm day in the official record, where people 5 miles away could be cleaning up downed limbs for weeks.

But it appears only snowfall frequency is increasing, not actual amounts (which long term appear to be steady on average).

Just reading NWS discussion...doesn't seem like they are pumped about any major flooding on the Mississippi..which is fine by me.  I guess the wildcard is a lot of rain...which is still possible. 

I just hope to see a little more severe weather this year....been a lot of turds lately.

I don't see any quick melts in the long range, looks gradual for the upper Mississippi and Red River Region.

Archived