joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Furnace crapped out today.  Had to install a new thermocouple.  Glad it decided to crap out in early April instead of early Jan. 

Temp has dropped off pretty good now that the sun set.  Already down to 33, and probably heading for the upper teens. 

Old school!

Furnace crapped out today.  Had to install a new thermocouple.  Glad it decided to crap out in early April instead of early Jan. 

Temp has dropped off pretty good now that the sun set.  Already down to 33, and probably heading for the upper teens. 

On April Fool's Day of all days!...

I had to install one of those last autumn on my hot water heater. It can be tricky installing those if you don't have a lot of room to work.

Down to 32° here. Perfectly clear out.

You're convinced I'm wrong Chicago storm? What tells you that? Doesn't stalling i80 fronts in the spring have any pull to you? I could be wrong, but this is looking like a classic case so far.

It does have a pull because it happens every spring, but we have yet to see a classic example this season...nor will we with the next two systems.

So in the end it's just another lol worthy statement from you.

It does have a pull because it happens every spring, but we have yet to see a classic example this season...nor will we with the next two systems.

So in the end it's just another lol worthy statement from you.

To be fair, we haven't really had a chance with the super cold March, but given the cold pattern recently, I have no doubt it will happen once or twice this spring, why not in early to mid April when the boundary will likely be nearby?  Are you thinking the spiking AO will allow the ridge to build very far north?  I can see that argument for sure.

DLL - you must be really stinking up the neighborhood tonight!

I know chemistry fairly well and am pretty confident this what you had going on the grill.:

S2(s) + CaO(s) + H2O(l) --> CaH2S(l) + SO2(g)

Stay clear of that SO2 gas!

---

Temp. fall is somewhat slow tonight - at 28° as of 10:45.

DLL - you must be really stinking up the neighborhood tonight!

I know chemistry fairly well and am pretty confident this what you had going on the grill.:

S2 + CaO + H2O --> CaH2S(l) + SO2(g)

Stay clear of that SO2 gas!

---

Temp. fall is somewhat slow tonight - at 28° as of 10:45.

Yeah breathing in SO2 is not a good thing.  Makes sulfuric acid inside your lungs when it combines with water lol.  I've breathed in enough acid vapors over the last several years I'm surprised I have any lung lining left lol.  Sometimes equipment breaks down in the lab without warning and things can get hairy in a hurry. 

Down to 27 here.

If anyone ever doubts the power of the sun at this time of year, use 4/1 as an example at FWA. The daily low of 26° occurred at 1:59 PM with clouds and a few flurries.  Less than a half an hour later, at 2:27 PM, the sun came out and they hit the daily high of 42°.

A 16° temperature difference in 28 minutes with no change in air mass. Neat stuff.

20F this morning...brr

I didn't become an internet addict until college, which was 2003.  I think most people encrypt these days not because they are against freeloading neighbors but because they're paranoid.  The latter is the reason I have my router set to encrypt.  Then again, I live in an apartment complex where I don't know all my neighbors.  I am within range of at least 15 different routers at any given time.  It is nice to have an unencrypted neighbor to cover me when my modem or router goes kaput and it takes a few days to replace.  Routers can be a real pain in the butt.  It's funny I've owned hard drives that lasted 8 years but have never been lucky enough to buy a router or modem that's lasted more than two.

I use ddwrt on my router so i have in the past just allowed our mac addresses to be able to connect...but i don't even do that now.  What is funny is nobody uses my internet...i can check to see who has connected (time/etc) and its always just us...I once used a connection from far away (using a large directional 2.4ghz antenna) in repeater mode on ddwrt and rebroadcast the signal locally...it cut the download speeds in half, but worked just fine for a long time...you can grab a wifi signal from far away with the right antenna/line of sight.

Cold morning today.  Last nights snow never really materialized but I'm soooo fine with that anyway.

Still over a foot of snow here in Ellsworth, but depths vary in Charlevoix and Petoskey I've noticed.  Very little melt in the woods but I've seen some spots opening up in open areas.

A few pics....

christmas lights still on my buried bushes

I like the lake clouds.... such a winter sky still.

brutal^

When it comes to winter, he's playing chess up there while we are all playing checkers (Sub-forum wide).

A couple weeks later his weather will be almost the same as ours too.... So we just get cold dry waste of time, while he gets real weather.

When it comes to winter, he's playing chess up there while we are all playing checkers (Sub-forum wide).

A couple weeks later his weather will be almost the same as ours too.... So we just get cold dry waste of time, while he gets real weather.

yeah, not really but ok

10ysvra.gif

pass

Well, severe isn't the same... I mean general weather.

IMO, severe is so hit or miss here. I rarely factor that in.

I didn't word that so well....

I meant our winter sucks compared to his, but onces summer arrives... Not much difference overall between our locations.

I am definitely itching for Spring, but I still love the snow.... even now.  I know it's just a matter of time and Spring will arrive.  As far as severe weather, I'm out of the game and I know that... lake MI probably kills and decent convection coming across.

Average high here peaks around 78/79 with lows in the 50's during avg Summer weather.  One thing I'm hoping for is catching the ring of fire.  Maybe far enough north to escape some brutal heat and just ride the edge.  Anyway, sunny and 78 with a lake breeze for a few months is fine.  After 5-6 months of snow on the ground, it's time for a breather.

GFS continues to show a lot of rain just north of here this weekend.

Just got back on Sunday from 2 weeks up north..  left there with 2'+ of snow on the ground and around 30" of ice with  with a foot of snow and slush on top...  Just brutal ice fishing conditions :(    Wish I could do  a redo and go up in a week for 2 weeks.

Hows the river?  is she rising yet?  Must of been a circus on the water with all the fisherman last week and weekend?

Only snow piles from shoveling left here..   Vilas county and here are two different worlds right now.  Still a foot or more of old ice down here on lakes but good luck getting on to it...  Hopefully April and May fly by... 2nd worst two months of the yr for weather.

River is rising...went up a couple feet...fishing will be about done for awhile, especially if a couple inches of rain fall north of here on top of what is still a good amount of snowcover.  Fishing was good about 2 weeks ago (walleyes)....but a week or so ago the water got very dirty.  Pan fishing has been on and off... 

My brother/nephew went and fished the Fox River this past weekend right by Green Bay.  They hammered pig walleyes on Thurs, Fri was slow and Sat was OK...  They had an 8lb and a 10lb along with a ton of 18"+ fish...but...you can only keep one fish, and it has to be huge... It was bumper boats (i'll post a pic when i get them)...  The boat next to them had a 50 inch musky. 

33F at noon...  ugh :(

RC mentioned last night that he could see an I-80 warm front stall out scenario coming up. Can't argue against those set ups in April. 

Just noticed there was some snow showers this morning here before I was up.

Edit: A classic stalled out warm front scenario that is seen every spring at least once.

attachicon.gifi80warmfront.png

FAIL

Archived