amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Great 2013 Melt-off

amc

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget you had that massive blue bomb of 10 inches where i got none. That's the difference

It was 8" on Feb 24th inverted trough...but yes, that is def a difference. I had like 10" of concrete before the storm and you prob had like a 4" glacier.

Love waking up and finding the 00z guidance all bumped up QPF amounts today, lol.  Lots of flood watches up now.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...
AS OF 415 AM EDT TUESDAY...WIDESPREAD RAINFALL EXPECTED TODAY WITH RAINFALL
DEVELOPING EWD ACROSS VERMONT AT 08Z. THE FORECAST AREA REMAINS
IN PREVAILING DEEP-LAYER SLY FLOW IN ADVANCE OF SLOW-MOVING
OCCLUSION NOW ACROSS WRN NY. PW PLUME OF 0.9 TO 1.0" PRECEDES THE
FRONT ACROSS NRN NY AND WILL SHIFT SLOWLY EWD ACROSS VT THIS AFTN.
NOTED OVERALL MODEST INCREASE IN QPF PER 00Z GUIDANCE
SUITE...ESPECIALLY AS SECONDARY WAVE LOW DEVELOPS ALONG THE
OCCLUSION THIS AFTN AND TRACKS NNEWD ACROSS WRN NEW ENGLAND THIS
AFTN. ADDED MENTION OF HEAVY RAIN ACROSS SRN HALF OF CWA THIS AFTN
BASED ON POSSIBLE 0.5-0.6" RAINFALL IN 6 HR PERIOD.

Even before the rains, the mild temps/dew points have been at work overnight. A good portion of my deck that had had a couple inches of ice and snow on it on Sunday is now bare. Heavy, heavy melting in progress even before the torrents.

41.4/41

I fully expect to return to bare ground next week with only some piles left.

I am hoping a lot of my back deck gets cleared off... I still expect to have some decent snow on it in 24 hours... I want to use my grill (or at least clean out any mice that might have moved in...)

What do you got right now? Still about 12-16"?

I had about 15 this morning. The train ride into Boston though was unnerving...watching the pack diminish into just patches once east of 128...still had decent snow though around and just west of 128.

Even in the best of Marches "snow pack" becomes a rarefied phenomenon as the month ages.   The problem is, maintaining a snow cover is no longer simply a matter of cold air as one nears the Equinox (for obvious reasons).   Put it this way, 20F in full sun will lose snow pack considerably faster through micro-melt/evaporation now, then on January 15.

Tomorrow will be an example of just such a challenge.  Whatever snow coverage is left a dawn (and I suspect it will be less than some think), it's still going to take a beating all day tomorrow, as the cold in the boundary layer post fropa really isn't realized until after dark tomorrow night.   So you have partial higher sun angle, and down-slope flow goosing the temp close to 50F.  Of course the air will be drier so that will slow melt rates some -  

I have seen 20" of snow disappear in a single night before.   In 1996, after an incredible stretch of winter there was 36" of snow on the level - one night of south wind and DPs that neared 60 and there was less than 6" at dawn, and bare ground patches by that after noon up at college.   Granted, this snow now is more granular/icy in nature, so it will be a bit more resistant, but starting off with much less depth...   It'll be interesting to see what remains.  I received 16" from the last storm here in Ayer, over a preceding 3 or 4" of spring snow condition.   Right now I am down to ~6" already. 

What do you got right now? Still about 12-16"?

I had about 15 this morning. The train ride into Boston though was unnerving...watching the pack diminish into just patches once east of 128...still had decent snow though around and just west of 128.

train ride home might be more unnerving when you come home to patches... :flood:

train ride home might be more unnerving when you come home to patches... :flood:

I'm not sure its possible to lose 15-16" of dense snow in 8 hours unless its like 70F tropical downpours. But perhaps I can almost lose all of it by tomorrow morning.

that is a lot to lose in that time frame.  Let us know, will be curious to see what's left tonight.

I'll post pics as soon as I'm home. I am just as curious. Its going to be absolute carnage for the next 12 hours...there is no doubt about that.

Archived