Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Great 2013 Melt-off

amc

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just SW of the city can be ok...Milton...but if you can hack it, go just WNW of the city

Even around here there are huge difference....downtown ORH has patches of grass showing in all the torch spots. My neighborhood is still covered in deep snow...obviously form the pics.

I think Deer Island holds onto snow better than here, lol.

I think Deer Island holds onto snow better than here, lol.

The UHI is really obvious when on the train in...even inside of 128 about 5-7 miles west still had some solid snow cover in a lot fo sheltered spots...like 50% cover...then it just ramps down to almost zero really fast. Those wooded areas of Wellesley were holding onto it pretty good on the ride back and they are like right on 128.

Just SW of the city can be ok...Milton...but if you can hack it, go just WNW of the city

Even around here there are huge difference....downtown ORH has patches of grass showing in all the torch spots. My neighborhood is still covered in deep snow...obviously form the pics.

I agree.

Generally west of a line from Braintree to Weymouth to Abington to the Bridgewaters can hold on OK and do OK for snow but really its rearranging deck chairs until you get North and West and start to climb.

Every area has its little weenie nuances. I grew up in Randolph, still spend quite a bit of time here and there is usually a noticable difference even between here and Braintree/Weymouth. We are more like Stoughton/Canton/Easton/Sharon. Its usually a different world compared to the city of Boston when it comes to pack retention and we often cash in on south of the pike specials getting wayy more than BOS. I'm not here consistently enough to measure all winter but Id guess we are running at least 15"-20" more than BOS on the winter.

I agree.

Generally west of a line from Braintree to Weymouth to Abington to the Bridgewaters can hold on OK and do OK for snow but really its rearranging deck chairs until you get North and West and start to climb.

Every area has its little weenie nuances. I grew up in Randolph, still spend quite a bit of time here and there is usually a noticable difference even between here and Braintree/Weymouth. We are more like Stoughton/Canton/Easton/Sharon. Its usually a different world compared to the city of Boston when it comes to pack retention and we often cash in on south of the pike specials getting wayy more than BOS. I'm not here consistently enough to measure all winter but Id guess we are running at least 15"-20" more than BOS on the winter.

Easily this winter....in the last event alone, they beat BOS by like 10".

I agree.

A lot if it is due to forest too. Woods are everything. I just can't radiate for crap here and it's nothing like a concrete jungle. Just enough urbanization I guess. I can't go NW of BOS but maybe Dedham or something.

The UHI is really obvious when on the train in...even inside of 128 about 5-7 miles west still had some solid snow cover in a lot fo sheltered spots...like 50% cover...then it just ramps down to almost zero really fast. Those wooded areas of Wellesley were holding onto it pretty good on the ride back and they are like right on 128.

You would have loved the weenie convo we had at work. It was about the nrn ORH hills lol.

You would have loved the weenie convo we had at work. It was about the nrn ORH hills lol.

Don't get me started on some of those areas...as good as north Worcester holds onto snow pack, I can be melted out for two weeks and still find nearly 100% cover in spots to my north not even 15 minutes drive.

Don't get me started on some of those areas...as good as north Worcester holds onto snow pack, I can be melted out for two weeks and still find nearly 100% cover in spots to my north not even 15 minutes drive.

I don't know how we migrated to this, but it started out about how rt 2 can be a traffic disaster....next thing we know...we're ripping out google terrain and looking at the two weenie ridge lines in Fitchburg lol. My friend misses his place at ORH. He still owns it and rents it out...maybe I'll buy it lol.

Amazing how Tolland has the highest snow total around, yet lowest rainfall amount around. Fascinating.

It is a fascinating phenomenon.

We are just torching with high dews. Jeez.  I had 0" of snow pack on Saturday so I'm just getting enjoying more and more mud. 

11" here as the melting slows down considerably. Prob will lose another inch or so tomorrow. But all in all, managed to survive the onslaught with respectable snow pack.

I still have a few inches still--I'm shocked.  Granted I didn't get as warm as you folks out east.  But, I still had to contend with 1.09" of rain.  And, I had a pathetic starting point of only 10" or so.

31.5/28.  With forecasted temps in the low 40's, the disaster will continue.  Low dews are going to mean a whole lot less with clear sky and essentially an equinox sun angle.  That'll easily outweigh any mitigation a lower dp might bring to the table.

Somehow I managed to keep 4 inches or so. There's about 98% cover..with just a touch grass showing in  a few sun torched spots.

It's also gotten down to 31 so the pack has re frozen.

I ran down to areas around 650 feet today and down there the snow is less and much more patchy..like a quilt that MPM would wrap up in

Somehow I managed to keep 4 inches or so. There's about 98% cover..with just a touch grass showing in a few sun torched spots.

It's also gotten down to 31 so the pack has re frozen.

I ran down to areas around 650 feet today and down there the snow is less and much more patchy..like a quilt that MPM would wrap up in

You made it sound like you lost all it before it rained. What an exaggerator.

0.61" of rain total. One small patch of snow left in the back yard, which faces east. Front yard still has full cover with range of 2" - 7" of snow cover and one massive car high pile of snow from plowing the drive. High ridge across the road from our house blocks the afternoon sun. South facing side yard bare. North facing side yard almost full snow cover.

Maybe we replenish the pack next week. From NWS Gray:

WITH A SOLID FEED OF MOISTURE UP THE EAST
COAST THERE COULD BE A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF QPF WITH THIS SYSTEM.
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT ALL OR PART OF THE FORECAST AREA COULD SEE
MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS IF THE COASTAL LOW DOES
DEVELOP AND TRACK SOUTH OF THE AREA AS CURRENTLY PROJECTED.

Archived