northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Great 2013 Melt-off

amc

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bethany and Cheshire areas in Conn. saw some flash flooding yesterday. Some areas still had a solid 3-6" of snow on the ground. Add an inch or so of water and temperatures in the low 50's to that, and there you go.

Here are a couple images from Mount Sanford Road in Cheshire:
post-533-0-84793500-1363191550_thumb.jpg

post-533-0-43903600-1363191558_thumb.jpg

Snapped a couple from Randolph, MA about 5 min ago before I head back to torched New Hampshire.

Taken in "strategic" locations, some random house, sun torched areas are prob 10-20% coverage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66599526@N00/8554394559/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66599526@N00/8555503806/in/photostream/

And I'm looking at crocuses. 

Def some more grass showing today. I'd say its about 90 percent cover now. A few sunny yards less

I know that you live in another world but, any chance you can fire up a lawn thread? Different world down here and spring clean ups are under way, would never start one, that is your deal chemical kev:)

I was half kidding.  You are in good shape.   Down here, we're on our last legs...I've seen good snows especially at night up to 3/22 or so, but after that it gets very difficult outside of 4/6/82 type events...

I'm not so sure we're done here, long range EURO looks frigid for march, the weekend overrunning event has potential for something light, and there appear to be more storms in the long range on both EURO and GFS. It's not like up there by any means, but I don't think its over yet...

-skisheep

I know that you live in another world but, any chance you can fire up a lawn thread? Different world down here and spring clean ups are under way, would never start one, that is your deal chemical kev:)

lol I def will when its spring but with deep winter fir the next 3-4 weeks Noone is going to be doing any lawn work. Very late start to season this year

As far as I can tell ....all open expanses have 0 snow now in Ayer.  It was like that over to Littleton and Acton... I think most people lower then 600 or so feet in Middlesex are open Earth now.  There is snow banks left over from plowing, and some places in deeper wooded areas as you drive down country roads, but by and large - snow pack season is done! 

Mud season has begun.   Obviously elevations in the interior are going to hold on longer.  

Now, that doesn't mean we can't get a good coastal or bowling event to re-whiten things.   Also, there are crocus' and daisy shoots just start to pop here.   Quite a bit different than what Will is describing up there in the Worcester hills.   

Looks like the final damage was solid here, but we hung on pretty good. We lost a bit more since I took those pics last night...today was pretty mild, but at least the dews were low.

Here's a few pics at sunset....the last pic you can see Wachusett through the trees.

Mar13_ORH1.jpg

Mar13_ORH2.jpg

Mar13_ORH3.jpg

Mar13_ORH4.jpg

Mar13_ORH5.jpg

Nice pack left though. I love that weenie shot of Wawa in the background.

Yeah its always nice in the winter with no leaves on the trees, so you get that nice view on the north side of the hill. Man, I still wish we didnt get that cutter....we could be making a run at Mar 2001 over the next 10 days for March snowpack if we had just melted off a bit from sunny 45F days rather than getting a huge high dewpoint cutter. That leftover stuff from the blizzard is like ice now....the bottom 7 or 8 inches is the blizzard pack. We prob only have about 3 inches left of the more recent stuff on average....but it varies wildly.

You could see the weenie snowpack over ORH and south of BOS where CJA posts from on visible satellite. I noticed I could see snow on the slopes of the Blue Hills from my view of the Blue Hills down the street. This area is such a pit for snow. My folks even have snow.

Archived