• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA - March 2013

I'm glad I spent Christmas week in true Central PA because that has saved my perception of this winter. 3 snow events in 7 days up there totaling over a foot was very nice. The 29th event was definitely the winner. I just kept laughing as week after week the schools were letting out for no reason whatsoever when the only real need for "no school" was during winter break.

As for Spring? Yous are st00pid lol. The beginning of Spring up until like, early June is wonderful when seasonal. Yeah it's too muddy sometimes but there are few things better than being able to wake up at 6:00 am on a bright day and go to work (should your job allow) or run errands or whatever in a pair of shorts and sandals without freezing. The sun is warm to the touch and the smell of grass in the air, birds chirping, all that. You just feel good. By the afternoon the breeze works just perfectly with the warmth so you're not freezing or sweating balls. It's awesome. 

And then Summer comes and you ****ing bake.

I like things about all 4 seasons, that's why I would probably die if I had to live in Florida, but I'll gladly sign off on the nicer aspects of Spring when they arrive.

I have to admit that the older I get I do enjoy the 4 seasons much more but rainy dreary muddy spring days dont do it for me.  I cut and loaded several trailer loads of wood today and must say it was nice, but I already was sweating my arse off.....

I do hope to find myself waist deep in the Pine Creek teaching my son to fly fish this year and watchin hatches come off and trout hammering em.  Love that.

Nut

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad I spent Christmas week in true Central PA because that has saved my perception of this winter. 3 snow events in 7 days up there totaling over a foot was very nice. The 29th event was definitely the winner. I just kept laughing as week after week the schools were letting out for no reason whatsoever when the only real need for "no school" was during winter break.

As for Spring? Yous are st00pid lol. The beginning of Spring up until like, early June is wonderful when seasonal. Yeah it's too muddy sometimes but there are few things better than being able to wake up at 6:00 am on a bright day and go to work (should your job allow) or run errands or whatever in a pair of shorts and sandals without freezing. The sun is warm to the touch and the smell of grass in the air, birds chirping, all that. You just feel good. By the afternoon the breeze works just perfectly with the warmth so you're not freezing or sweating balls. It's awesome. 

And then Summer comes and you ****ing bake.

I like things about all 4 seasons, that's why I would probably die if I had to live in Florida, but I'll gladly sign off on the nicer aspects of Spring when they arrive.

About half of our springs we don't get that sort of stuff consistently until late April. Even last year after the Morch we got a pretty brutal cold spell in April complete with a snow event on 4/23, we got 2-3, five miles up the road got 6-7. The mountains kill us sometimes. You guys are sometimes warm and sunny while we are 40 and socked in with clouds. A lot of us know to value warm days because we might go several days with gray crappy weather.

As one of my co-workers says "I go deer hunting in late November, standing still in the cold, to prepare me for coaching Little League in April, standing still in the cold."

12z Euro was trolling an east coast bomb from about 222-240h today with a 984 sitting just off the Delmarva. GFS had said system going to International Falls, MN just as a reminder that this is out in the 8-10 day range and there really isn't any kind of agreement. Euro has been more pessimistic temp wise than the GFS as of late in the longer range. Given that this is the time of year when most are over winter and are ready for full force spring.. I'm sure it'll be that one time where mother nature gets it all together for a storm. I guess a "wtf did that come from?" snowstorm would be much better to deal with on March 20  than on April 24th as was the case last year for higher parts of the area.

We should manage another nice and warm day tomorrow before our system comes through and sends temps back to late winter reality. Rest of the week looks dry before we might have a weak system or two give light precip chances to PA. Out of the mountains and true central I wouldn't say the weather will be all that terrible later this week. Just a good bit chillier. 

As one of my co-workers says "I go deer hunting in late November, standing still in the cold, to prepare me for coaching Little League in April, standing still in the cold."

Back when I shot sports photos for the newspaper, I would be more likely to freeze doing a spring softball/baseball game than a Friday night football game. There were some brutally cold and windy days spent out on the high school baseball fields I tell ya...

Danv, how bad is it man?

I'm off work today, mainly because I am having a tough time walking. Need muscle relaxers, will be fine then. Haven't had this happen in several years. My entire family has back issues.

12z Euro was trolling an east coast bomb from about 222-240h today with a 984 sitting just off the Delmarva. GFS had said system going to International Falls, MN just as a reminder that this is out in the 8-10 day range and there really isn't any kind of agreement. Euro has been more pessimistic temp wise than the GFS as of late in the longer range. Given that this is the time of year when most are over winter and are ready for full force spring.. I'm sure it'll be that one time where mother nature gets it all together for a storm. I guess a "wtf did that come from?" snowstorm would be much better to deal with on March 20  than on April 24th as was the case last year for higher parts of the area.

We should manage another nice and warm day tomorrow before our system comes through and sends temps back to late winter reality. Rest of the week looks dry before we might have a weak system or two give light precip chances to PA. Out of the mountains and true central I wouldn't say the weather will be all that terrible later this week. Just a good bit chillier. 

Yeah, it had the storm at 0Z as well.

Back when I shot sports photos for the newspaper, I would be more likely to freeze doing a spring softball/baseball game than a Friday night football game. There were some brutally cold and windy days spent out on the high school baseball fields I tell ya...

I bet. I used to hate hitting on those cold April days, too.

I was doing yardwork in a tshirt. Great day until I hurt my back

Ouch... take it easy for a few days..

I was outside in shorts and t-shirt. It was nice. We maxed in the upper 60s, warm enough to open some windows up in the house. We had some bits of every season mixed in today.. first I shoveled some of the snow piles to make a path of snow down a small embankment and my daughter and niece were sled riding, raked some old leaves up, then cooked on the grill for dinner. All that combined with first day to DST was enough to make my head spin as everything felt out of place lol.

Yep, one fine weekend indeed.  Golf course was PACKED.  Tough time of year to play actually as there's no grass and it's really spongy but just nice to get out and practice.  

I'm sure we have plenty of ups and downs to go the next 2 months.  I recall a few years ago we had a 36 hole tournament in mid April.  The morning was beautiful then a front came through about mid day.  By the end of the afternoon round, I had to use both hands to try to write a score because they were shaking so bad from the cold.

Good times.

Ouch... take it easy for a few days..

I was outside in shorts and t-shirt. It was nice. We maxed in the upper 60s, warm enough to open some windows up in the house. We had some bits of every season mixed in today.. first I shoveled some of the snow piles to make a path of snow down a small embankment and my daughter and niece were sled riding, raked some old leaves up, then cooked on the grill for dinner. All that combined with first day to DST was enough to make my head spin as everything felt out of place lol.

I feel like Mario Lemeiux...

Yep, one fine weekend indeed.  Golf course was PACKED.  Tough time of year to play actually as there's no grass and it's really spongy but just nice to get out and practice.  

I'm sure we have plenty of ups and downs to go the next 2 months.  I recall a few years ago we had a 36 hole tournament in mid April.  The morning was beautiful then a front came through about mid day.  By the end of the afternoon round, I had to use both hands to try to write a score because they were shaking so bad from the cold.

Good times.

I'm weird but I sort of like the roller coaster. I also like seeing stuff come alive and the weird duality of snow falling on flowers.

I'm off work today, mainly because I am having a tough time walking. Need muscle relaxers, will be fine then. Haven't had this happen in several years. My entire family has back issues.

Yeah, it had the storm at 0Z as well.

I bet. I used to hate hitting on those cold April days, too.

Well , i hope you get up moving around soon. Back issues suck!

Archived