Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, the NYC forum has some talent like earthlight, Dsnowx and occasional crossover jm1220...but ugh to pretty much the rest of it.

Yeah. They are the worst. For as much as I bust on the ma people, they aren't all idiots down there either. Fir the most part, it wasn't that epic of a meltdown even with the bust. I did laugh though at the two guys who got 11 inches and were whining about the storm.

There are a couple posters in there that are self righteous pricks though...phineas coming to mind first. There was a dude who posted the night before the storm of 4-6 total in the cities, at most due to climo and marginal temps and was brutalized, lol.

But yeah...NYC is unreadable. We have a couple weenies that do go all over the place and complain, but I'll take ours over just about anyone in NYC.

I didn't see that, what did he do now?

YorkPa is probably getting it because I went into the NE thread last week or so and saluted the trollery from FitchfieldVibrations or whatever their s/n is. They laft, and prolly some decided to come here and check us out.

I was up at Blue Knob yesterday snowboarding, there was probably 12-18" on the ground up in that area since they already had alot on the ground from LES/upslope and 8-10" from Wednesdays storm. The slopes are probably about as good as they get around here for March.

post-1507-0-58648500-1362777920_thumb.jp

Ready for spring as well but also agree with what they are talking about over on the Philly thread, unfortunately: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/38643-medium-range-long-range-thread/?p=2202562

Looks like 2007 lameness. Big but short-lived warmups, then periods of sustained below normal, and for us a crappy delayed spring. Thinking this can't happen, btw, is weenie-casting. 2007 did have a decent last week of March/early April but then it got really awful. Daytime temps didn't get to 50 here between April 4 and April 18. We had a white Easter. Then the rest of the month, spring finally took over. It was a cold April overall. 

I hope that isn't the case. We do get those types of springs. 

We're certainly due one of those types of springs after last years May in March heat wave we had. I guess you can lump March 2010 in there as another recent record warm example. 2007 was a pretty rough one. It did have it's brief warm ups, I recall having a thunderstorm and 50-60ºF a couple days before we got the St Pattys Day nor'easter. There was also the blockbuster Mid-April nor'easter that delivered significant high elevation snow as well. 

I for one hope we won't be in a lousy pattern overall all the way into April, my winter bias for cold/snowy weather switches after about mid March haha. In the meantime, def enjoy the nice weekend on tap as next week will be back to chilly and perhaps unsettled weather at times. I've seen the Euro/GFS progging a clipper type system moving thru near the end of next week.. 12z GFS is slightly further north with the low track, focusing best precip in southern NY.. Euro further south having best in PA. Western and central areas would be the focus of any snowfall if we ended up with a PA favorable clipper track and success of snowfall accums would hinge on time of day. 

I was up at Blue Knob yesterday snowboarding, there was probably 12-18" on the ground up in that area since they already had alot on the ground from LES/upslope and 8-10" from Wednesdays storm. The slopes are probably about as good as they get around here for March.

attachicon.gifIMG_0521.JPG

We're certainly due one of those types of springs after last years May in March heat wave we had. I guess you can lump March 2010 in there as another recent record warm example. 2007 was a pretty rough one. It did have it's brief warm ups, I recall having a thunderstorm and 50-60ºF a couple days before we got the St Pattys Day nor'easter. There was also the blockbuster Mid-April nor'easter that delivered significant high elevation snow as well. 

I for one hope we won't be in a lousy pattern overall all the way into April, my winter bias for cold/snowy weather switches after about mid March haha. In the meantime, def enjoy the nice weekend on tap as next week will be back to chilly and perhaps unsettled weather at times. I've seen the Euro/GFS progging a clipper type system moving thru near the end of next week.. 12z GFS is slightly further north with the low track, focusing best precip in southern NY.. Euro further south having best in PA. Western and central areas would be the focus of any snowfall if we ended up with a PA favorable clipper track and success of snowfall accums would hinge on time of day. 

Nice pic. The ridges around here still have snow on them.

I'm the same way regarding spring. But have to admit being a real sucker for unusual weather events so late snow I find somewhat interesting. 

On a side note, WB Area Schools and others here in the Wyoming Valley closed today...we had maybe 1/2" of snow that melted by 2pm. :axe:

Central PA has been a parade of errors this winter with early dismissals and cancellations. Every "ice event" that brought about a WWA sent kids home on Fridays and on 3 of the 4 events, not a goddamn thing went down.

Central PA has been a parade of errors this winter with early dismissals and cancellations. Every "ice event" that brought about a WWA sent kids home on Fridays and on 3 of the 4 events, not a goddamn thing went down.

I think the only legit snow day worthy winter storms we had back here this winter were the two events that occurred Christmas week...when the kids were on X-mas break of course. Bellwood closed for Wednesday's storm when they could have gotten away with a delay. It was def a mess first thing in the morning with the several hours of heavy wet snow we managed.. but roads got cleared pretty quick once precip got shut down. There was a couple schools around here that closed Wed and didn't see a flake haha. 

I know I'm in the minority here... but Spring is my least favorite season. If I could have it my way we would have snow threats up until say mid April.. Then a few weeks of Moderation then head right into summer. Plus a longer snow season means less time to wait for November and preliminary forecasts for next winter. So if winter has a few more punches to through I say bring it! :snowing:

I'd prefer a summer slightly below normal too..

I do enjoy warm weather to some extent. Love swimming, and gardening. Nothing better than picking a sun ripe tomato from the garden and slicing it up with a sprinkle of salt while its still warm from the sun.

Euro trolling us again. Worst spring ever :(

I know I'm in the minority here... but Spring is my least favorite season. If I could have it my way we would have snow threats up until say mid April.. Then a few weeks of Moderation then head right into summer. Plus a longer snow season means less time to wait for November and preliminary forecasts for next winter. So if winter has a few more punches to through I say bring it! :snowing:

I'd prefer a summer slightly below normal too..

I do enjoy warm weather to some extent. Love swimming, and gardening. Nothing better than picking a sun ripe tomato from the garden and slicing it up with a sprinkle of salt while its still warm from the sun.

+1  Spring is muddy and blah.  Id go right from snow, to 60's and green up.  Get it over with and get into summer so that fall and winter can get here.  Fall/winter by far is my favorite. From the sounds of it, this aweful winter here in the LSV is going to keep torchering us for a while longer.  Cant wait to watch my daughter play softball in 40 degrees.....yuck..

Nut

I think the only legit snow day worthy winter storms we had back here this winter were the two events that occurred Christmas week...when the kids were on X-mas break of course. Bellwood closed for Wednesday's storm when they could have gotten away with a delay. It was def a mess first thing in the morning with the several hours of heavy wet snow we managed.. but roads got cleared pretty quick once precip got shut down. There was a couple schools around here that closed Wed and didn't see a flake haha. 

The worst driving weather we had was the one Friday clipper that overperformed. People in my office with kids were really bitching about the early dismissal at 12:30, complaining how it isn't snowing. By 1 pm the snow started, by 1:30 State College was a mess.

Lol neither xmas events we re even warning criteria here..but I agree worthy of a snow day. 5.8 in one 5.6 the other officially. They saved our total this winter though.

:lmao:

F-6 data, which is official, says otherwise (look at Dec 26-27, 7.8: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=ctp.) That was the storm that you posted "bust lol back edge approaching it's over" three times and it kept redeveloping as soon as you posted, hence the lmao. It's funny, man, seriously....2 1/2 months after that storm and you are STILL trying to downplay it. You're too much, man. Anyway, heading out to enjoy this spring weather. Later....

I'm glad I spent Christmas week in true Central PA because that has saved my perception of this winter. 3 snow events in 7 days up there totaling over a foot was very nice. The 29th event was definitely the winner. I just kept laughing as week after week the schools were letting out for no reason whatsoever when the only real need for "no school" was during winter break.

As for Spring? Yous are st00pid lol. The beginning of Spring up until like, early June is wonderful when seasonal. Yeah it's too muddy sometimes but there are few things better than being able to wake up at 6:00 am on a bright day and go to work (should your job allow) or run errands or whatever in a pair of shorts and sandals without freezing. The sun is warm to the touch and the smell of grass in the air, birds chirping, all that. You just feel good. By the afternoon the breeze works just perfectly with the warmth so you're not freezing or sweating balls. It's awesome. 

And then Summer comes and you ****ing bake.

I like things about all 4 seasons, that's why I would probably die if I had to live in Florida, but I'll gladly sign off on the nicer aspects of Spring when they arrive.

Archived