Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DT says 20:1 ratios possible in NYC

I would be confident in 15:1 for just about everyone. 20:1 will probably verify somewhere. A concern against higher ratios for say NYC, LI, coastal NJ are the stronger winds damaging flake structure required for extremely high ratios (>20:1) Best chance of highest ratios is probably Hudson valley thru NW Ct imo.

I would be confident in 15:1 for just about everyone. 20:1 will probably verify somewhere. A concern against higher ratios for say NYC, LI, coastal NJ are the stronger winds damaging flake structure required for extremely high ratios (>20:1) Best chance of highest ratios is probably Hudson valley thru NW Ct imo.

15:1 as an average is probably better. You have to look at the mid levels for areas of lift and snowgrowth in the proper temp ranges. So 0.60" liquid or so can yield 8-10", 0.75" yields 10-12", etc. The calls for over 12" are I think overdone as even the RGEM would show maybe about 12" and that is the most amplified model.

15:1 as an average is probably better. You have to look at the mid levels for areas of lift and snowgrowth in the proper temp ranges. So 0.60" liquid or so can yield 8-10", 0.75" yields 10-12", etc. The calls for over 12" are I think overdone as even the RGEM would show maybe about 12" and that is the most amplified model.

I agree. Ratio forecasting is very complex and dependent on numerous variables throughout the column. 15:1 seems likely across a good portion of the area with 20:1 possible somewhere where the numerous variables optimize the best. Again, for the NYC forum area, I think the best chance of that is the Hudson Valley. Regardless a dry powdery snow everywhere with very cold temps! As January a feel as we can ask for in these parts!

• 2 weeks later...

LOL ....JB & Sam champion on  Twitter

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi

Sam Champion ‏@SamChampion 3h
@BigJoeBastardi joey, mayb not but i can read, my friend

Retweet

Favorite

More

Expand

Nolan Belfer ‏@WeatherGeeker 3h
@BigJoeBastardi lol @Sam Champion

[/twitter]LOL ....JB & Sam champion on  Twitter

JB is going wild today about the coldest air since 1985 coming.

His call out - crisis mode in cities, live stock freezing in their tracks.

This should get interesting if JB nails this historic cold outbreak

and if he doesnt?  Christ, when has JB ever called for historic warmth in the winter?  I'll take never for $500 Alex

The funny thing is anytime a bad storm comes around the dish goes out anyway, so you cant tune in th TWC.

Very true that's the worst! Even wet snow or ice on the dish and its over! In long beach I had fios which was great.

And hell yes I watch the wtc! Granted its not what it used to be in the Steve Lyons and Paul Cocin days but I still tune I'm during major events

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived