joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JB is looking to have a great call on the epic cold coming. Amazing how he was the first to sniff it out. Tell you the truth, I really hope the media starts to warn the public. Lives may be at risk.

I'm mixed. He is prone to hype and over-exaggeration, but I've also heard that he's a good guy in person who just happens to be really passionate about the weather. I am a fan of Joe D'Aleo - a.k.a. Dr. Dewpoint - and am happy that their winter forecast is turning out well for them. Weatherbell's first winter forecast was awful and for a startup company that can be tough.

JB is looking to have a great call on the epic cold coming. Amazing how he was the first to sniff it out. Tell you the truth, I really hope the media starts to warn the public. Lives may be at risk.

Lifes are always are always at risk during cold waves. jB simply looked at long range model product output and hugged tightly. Don't think he smelt this coming any sooner than anyone that can link to the extended range models.

Her will be very wrong, but he will not admit it. He will probs delete many tweets.

Lifes are always are always at risk during cold waves. jB simply looked at long range model product output and hugged tightly. Don't think he smelt this coming any sooner than anyone that can link to the extended range models.

Her will be very wrong, but he will not admit it. He will probs delete many tweets.

Please stop repeating yourself...You sound silly and you obvious don't know what you are talking about... lol.

Btw...Joe B is the last person to model hug that's for sure...lol

Steve D

"This February may be one that you'll remember for a very long time. A type of month that will make you go back and use as an analog for future winters. "

People already fast forwarding to February, we still have half a month left. So what about all those supposed late January threats, did models back off and now we're looking further out? Is the same going to happen when it's February 1st and everyone's pointing to latter February/March in producing a snowstorm?

People already fast forwarding to February, we still have half a month left. So what about all those supposed late January threats, did models back off and now we're looking further out? Is the same going to happen when it's February 1st and everyone's pointing to latter February/March in producing a snowstorm?

Relax , you will need you`re snowmobile soon enough 

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride my man.  These next few weeks will produce.  

But he has a point, why jump ahead when we have threats before that?

I'm a positive guy so I take that news about February as something to look forward to in addition to our current threats in January, which I'm also excited about. Threats are still there.  Way better than hearing talk about a future torch in February no?? 

JB opines that places will run out of salt, but yet there is little to no snow for anyone east of the missisippi for the next 7 days.... :axe:  someone's cryin' wolf

Why should they run out of salt? Some areas in the CONUS have had above normal snowfall to date, but no place is having excessive snowfall that is approaching record rates. If places are, in fact, in danger of running out of salt, that says far more about a lacking of planning than it does the winter (at least so far).

First, seasonal snowfall is not something that can easily be forecast far in advance (by December one can have a better idea). Nevertheless, that does not make planning for snow removal/road treatment a hopeless task.

Second, when ordering salt, planning for seasonal snowfall that is 1 standard deviation above the 30-year average makes sense. For NYC, that means having salt available to cover approximately 45" seasonal snowfall. During the 1981-82 through 2010-11 period, 5 winters (17% had snowfall in excess of 1 standard deviation above the average for the period. Risk management should be embedded in the appropriations process. The fact that NYC's standard deviation for seasonal snowfall is 67% of seasonal snowfall highlights a lot of variation. Trying to play "cute" by avoiding reasonable risk management in such cases is a recipe for planning failure.

Third, if a municipality is rapidly consuming salt, it would make sense to replenish inventories.

Such an approach would not eliminate all risk of running out of salt, but it would reduce it. Certainly, there would be plenty of salt on hand for the kind of winter that has been experienced to date. Continual inventory tracking and reasonable risk management can largely avert 1994-type situations where municipalities had been underprepared and many ran out of salt well before winter had ended.

Why should they run out of salt? Some areas in the CONUS have had above normal snowfall to date, but no place is having excessive snowfall that is approaching record rates. If places are, in fact, in danger of running out of salt, that says far more about a lacking of planning than it does the winter (at least so far).

First, seasonal snowfall is not something that can easily be forecast far in advance (by December one can have a better idea). Nevertheless, that does not make planning for snow removal/road treatment a hopeless task.

Second, when ordering salt, planning for seasonal snowfall that is 1 standard deviation above the 30-year average makes sense. For NYC, that means having salt available to cover approximately 45" seasonal snowfall. During the 1981-82 through 2010-11 period, 5 winters (17% had snowfall in excess of 1 standard deviation above the average for the period. Risk management should be embedded in the appropriations process. The fact that NYC's standard deviation for seasonal snowfall is 67% of seasonal snowfall highlights a lot of variation. Trying to play "cute" by avoiding reasonable risk management in such cases is a recipe for planning failure.

Third, if a municipality is rapidly consuming salt, it would make sense to replenish inventories.

Such an approach would not eliminate all risk of running out of salt, but it would reduce it. Certainly, there would be plenty of salt on hand for the kind of winter that has been experienced to date. Continual inventory tracking and reasonable risk management can largely avert 1994-type situations where municipalities had been underprepared and many ran out of salt well before winter had ended.

I think that it should be noted also that snow/ice removal technology has advanced in the past 20 years with the use of chemical deicers that both work in addition to road salt and/or increase road salts effectiveness at lower temperatures.   

I think that it should be noted also that snow/ice removal technology has advanced in the past 20 years with the use of chemical deicers that both work in addition to road salt and/or increase road salts effectiveness at lower temperatures.   

Absolutely. Snow removal capabilities are so much better than they were back in the 1990s.

Absolutely. Snow removal capabilities are so much better than they were back in the 1990s.

I remember the first time I saw the Thruway Authority using green salt back in 2007.  I jokingly asked a colleague at the Authority if the green salt was for St. Patrick's Day and he pointed out that the green tint was from the deicer sprayed onto the salt. 

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived