• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread

earthlight

I know up here in ct they started using some different chemicals about 10 years back to treat the roads and it's worse for the cars than the salt was. I've seen reports of 5 year old cars with frames that were rotted through that woul've never been that bad after so few years in the past. Whatever they use turns the roads white and it stays white for a long time.I know we all want safe roads but i think the trade off can be very costly on maintenance and replaced vehicles.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve D

"This February may be one that you'll remember for a very long time. A type of month that will make you go back and use as an analog for future winters. "

right and he is the one who has been predicting accumulating snow this week as of a day or so ago - there is no indication that February will be anywheres near a blockbuster month for snow...........

I remember the first time I saw the Thruway Authority using green salt back in 2007.  I jokingly asked a colleague at the Authority if the green salt was for St. Patrick's Day and he pointed out that the green tint was from the deicer sprayed onto the salt. 

The NY Thruway has been using beet juice to supplement salt. One of the stats I heard is that the freezing point of beet juice is -55F

This is the company:

http://www.roadsolutionsinc.com/

and :

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/23635/just-add-beet-juice-for-ice-free-highways

it's not the red beet juice you're probably thinking off...

I' ve been plowing snow for 25 years. Except for the liquid de icing additives where they are used, some locations dont even use it. Its still Just plain old rock salt. Nothing has really changed except for newer equipment and trucks. Us operators are just a little more comfy then we were 20 years ago. The actual process of snow removal has not changed..

I' ve been plowing snow for 25 years. Except for the liquid de icing additives where they are used, some locations dont even use it. Its still Just plain old rock salt. Nothing has really changed except for newer equipment and trucks. Us operators are just a little more comfy then we were 20 years ago. The actual process of snow removal has not changed..

I saw an interview with the CEO of Road Solutions Inc. He claimed they have had a hard time selling to private contractors who plow / salt business lots because most contractors are paid by the ton of salt used, or some metric like that. By using an additive like beet juice, would decrease the amount of salt used and lower the value of the contract. I don't know if that's true or not or the truth lies in the middle somewhere.

I saw an interview with the CEO of Road Solutions Inc. He claimed they have had a hard time selling to private contractors who plow / salt business lots because most contractors are paid by the ton of salt used, or some metric like that. By using an additive like beet juice, would decrease the amount of salt used and lower the value of the contract. I don't know if that's true or not or the truth lies in the middle somewhere.

Probably very true. And you also need to have the spray equipment. Another costly investment. The only places that I know of where beet juice is used is on your major highways and interstates. And even at that, its pre applied before a storm to prevent the highways from icing. Rock salt still gets used after the juice. The liquid that is sprayed into the salt hoppers is a liquid calcium and that also helps prevent the salt from freezing solid in the hopper. Yes, moist salt will freeze like a rock and it is usually billed by the ton, or application but based on your estimate of how many tons is used.

The NY Thruway has been using beet juice to supplement salt. One of the stats I heard is that the freezing point of beet juice is -55F

This is the company:

http://www.roadsolutionsinc.com/

and :

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/23635/just-add-beet-juice-for-ice-free-highways

it's not the red beet juice you're probably thinking off...

I have no idea what it is, I just know I thought it was cool that it was green.  Here is a link to a photo from last week that shows it:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=TH&Date=20140103&Category=NEWS1301&ArtNo=103009998&Ref=PH&Presentation=desktop#img-39

Probably very true. And you also need to have the spray equipment. Another costly investment. The only places that I know of where beet juice is used is on your major highways and interstates. And even at that, its pre applied before a storm to prevent the highways from icing. Rock salt still gets used after the juice. The liquid that is sprayed into the salt hoppers is a liquid calcium and that also helps prevent the salt from freezing solid in the hopper. Yes, moist salt will freeze like a rock and it is usually billed by the ton, or application but based on your estimate of how many tons is used.

Around here many of the highway departments use some sort of liquid deicer which is sprayed onto the rock salt as it comes out of the hopper. You can sometimes see the tanks in the dump bed next to the salt hopper.  To your point though, not everyone uses it yet. 

Around here many of the highway departments use some sort of liquid deicer which is sprayed onto the rock salt as it comes out of the hopper. You can sometimes see the tanks in the dump bed next to the salt hopper. To your point though, not everyone uses it yet.

Yes.. also, at the salt storage buildings, you will see large liquid tanks with a spray boom that a dump truck pulls under after getting loaded with salt that sprays right into the hopper..

JBs twitter feed ranks up there...he's starting to use "feedback problems" to explain how models are backing away from the super severe cold. Should be fun to watch as he continues to get defensive and lash out as his thinking is yet again proven bogus.

JBs twitter feed ranks up there...he's starting to use "feedback problems" to explain how models are backing away from the super severe cold. Should be fun to watch as he continues to get defensive and lash out as his thinking is yet again proven bogus.

I agree - his problem is more then 50 % of his posts are politically motivated always critical of the  Dems and  the global warming crowd - I guess all of his clients are republicans and others don't believe in GW and think like him. 

Models do have feed back problems ... the GFS alone is notorious for that. Fact is models had warm 2 weeks ago during the upcoming period in which he argued against it... Models have flipped over to his idea ... that's why those that we're calling for end of winter are now all of a sudden saying the opposite.

The problem with what he did was make the hurricane analogy. He picked this pattern out 8 days ago it was a 12z fri GFS run that had this upcoming week a torch , he picked the error out and said I think ths is 10 to 15 days of cold

Chicago and Nyc may go below 0 .But he could hav been vague and if it only got cold for 10 days. And Chicago hit 0 and knyc hit 5 that would hav been a good forecast from 10 days away when the models didn't support him.

So if its not as cold and you don't like joe you're gona exact you're pound of flesh

Chan 7 says if we want to see snow we're going to have to go up north into New England.. she says there are chances for snow here but she says it will not accumulate to much if anything.........

She must have viewed the latest EURO TotalSnowFall_240hrs. It is plain zero for southern NJ and maybe an inch in extreme northern NJ and NYC. Nova Scotia rocks!

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived