wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March Pattern and Discussion

Bevo

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not focusing on any snow chances, but it's (at least) looking like some major freeze possibilities really far south. I think the cold is news enough to track / follow. If northern Florida can get a freeze the last part of March I will be amazed.  

It can happen:

In Alachua County (Gainesville, FL), the median last day of a freeze is March 2nd, with the latest freeze date being April 18, 1962. The latest date of a freezing temperature came from both Crestview and Tallahassee on April 23rd, 1993.

It can happen:

In Alachua County (Gainesville, FL), the median last day of a freeze is March 2nd, with the latest freeze date being April 18, 1962. The latest date of a freezing temperature came from both Crestview and Tallahassee on April 23rd, 1993.

I think we have a great shot. Snow is going to be real hard to come by, outside the mountains, but the cold (i think) is for real.

The 18z GFS was wild and quite similar to its wild solution at 00z.  The clown maps should be a lot of fun for N NC and VA.  Surface temps may be an issue, but bah.

The Euro is still suppressed, but the GFS is pretty far north (too far north for most).  Hopefully, they can meet up at a happy medium somewhere in the middle.

The LR 18z GFS is pretty wild.  It stays cold with plenty of snow threats right into early April, when it finally appears to possibly warms up.  Will it be right?  I don't know.

Days 11-15:

18zgfs1115day850mbtempa.gif

EDIT: GFS clown shows GSO down to just NW of CLT with 8-12" and RDU with almost nothing.  Surface temps were likely a factor (actually maybe not, GSO stays 32-34 during the duration of the precip).  Of course, clown maps are just for fun, anyways.

We need the cold to have the snow, obviously , and if the models are shoeing freezing into Florida, then that would be cold enough of an air mass for Northern areas of the SE to get snow

I think we have a great shot. Snow is going to be real hard to come by, outside the mountains, but the cold (i think) is for real.

WPC Disco...

FORECAST SPREAD/UNCERTAINTY AND RUN-RUN CONTINUITY

INCREASES SIGNIFICANTLY HEADING INTO NEXT WEEKEND. THE MOST

PROMINANT GUIDANCE DIFFERENCE ALOFT CONCERNS THE DIGGING AND EWD

EJECTION OF ENERGY OUT FROM THE WRN US THEN S-CENTRAL AND SERN US

FRI-SUN...ALONG WITH THE ASSOCIATED LOWER ATMOSPHERIC RESPONSE.

RECENT ECMWF/ECMWF ENSEMBLES IN PARTICULAR HAVE OFFERED MORE

SUPPRESSED SOLUTIONS THAN RECENT GFS/GEFS. DIFFERENCES ALOFT

BECOME CRYSTAL CLEAR BY NEXT SUN...ALBEIT WITHOUT GOOD RUN-RUN

CONTINUITY. THE 00 UTC ECMWF HAS AN AMPLIFIED TROUGH OVER THE SW

US WHILE THE 00/06 UTC GFS RUNS INSTEAD OFFER A DEEP SERN

US/MID-ATLC COASTAL STORM. ENSEMBLES ARE MIXED/IN THE MIDDLE BUT

OVERALL FAVOR A SOLUTION WITH EMPHASIS OVER THE SRN/SERN US. THIS

SEEMS VERY REASONABLE AS INITIALLY VIGOROUS SYSTEMS LIKE THIS ONE

TRACKING RATHER BODILY INLAND FROM THE PACIFIC ARE MORE LIKELY TO

MAINTAIN GOOD STREAM IDENTITY WITH A BETTER THAN AVERAGE LINEAR

MOTION DOWNSTREAM.

LATEST WPC PROGS FRI-SUN/D5-7 WERE PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM A BLEND

OF THE 00 UTC GEFS ENSEMBLE MEAN AND LESS DEFINED 00 UTC ECMWF

ENSEMBLE MEAN. WPC PROGS WERE THEN MANUALLY ADJUSTED TO DEPICT

SLIGHTLY BETTER SYSTEM ORGANIZATION CONSISTENT WITH UNCERTAINTY

AND A LESS SUPPRESSED SERN US SOLUTION THAN OVERNIGHT PROGS GIVEN

AMPLITUDE ALOFT/DYNAMIC POTENTIAL. A WSR FLIGHT LATER TODAY OUT

FROM HAWAII MAY BE ABLE TO PROVIDE MORE DATA FOR UPCOMING 00 UTC

GUIDANCE.

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

A WET SYSTEM ENTERING THE PAC NW MIDWEEK WILL SPREAD

MODEST RAIN/SNOW AND SOME ENHANCED TERRAIN AMOUNTS THRU THE WEST

BEFORE SETTLING INTO THE S-CENTRAL US THEN GULF COAST FRI-SAT/D5-6

WHERE INCREASED MOISTURE INFLOW MAY LEAD TO HEAVIER

QPF...INCLUDING A POSSIBLE WINTER WEATHER STRIPE ON THE NRN EDGE

OF THE OVERALL PCPN SHIELD GIVEN THE COLD PATTERN. EMERGENCE FROM

THE SERN US BY SUN OFFERS POTENTIAL FOR COASTAL CYCLOGENSIS GIVEN

POSSIBLE DYNAMIC SUPPORT.

Frank Strait saying on his blog that next weekend will have to be watched for snow for the carolinas.  He thought winter was over but not so fast he said for the carolinas.  Cold air will be firmly entrentched and here comes the moisture. 

One last hope, hey its not out of the question,  we all know from years past what March and even April can bring to the Mtns. :snowing:

I am trying to decide on something simple enough to express.  :unsure:

Mostly, the pattern does look feasible for unique continental system development.

It seems like the system will begin to show up in Texas?  that is a bit like the January system, but, it looks like it will develop on its own and not at the end of a long moisture tail. 

I kind of love how vague NWS RAH has decided to be today when discussing this possible event:

FOR THE LATE-WEEK AND WEEKEND PERIOD...THE PATTERN WILL BECOMEACTIVE WITH A POTENT SHORT WAVE DROPPING SE FROM THE NORTHERNROCKIES AND REINFORCING THE LONG WAVE TROUGH OVER THE EASTERNSTATES. THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF DIFFERENCES IN THE MODELS THAT NEEDTO BE WORKED OUT...SO ITS DIFFICULT TO PROVIDE SPECIFIC DETAILS FORTHIS PART OF THE FORECAST. BUT AT THIS POINT IT APPEARS THAT THEPATTERN MAY BE TRENDING WETTER AND COOLER THAN NORMAL FOR NEXTWEEKEND.

"...wetter and cooler than normal". Heh.  :mapsnow:

The 00z GFS just made a huge shift northward with the precip shield of our first system as of hr 138.

EDIT: For the "main event", the 00z GFS shows a Miller B and a nice rainstorm.  :axe:  Looks like a DC crushjob.

A very strange run, though.  The transfer takes forever and the GFS went from wide right and out to sea at 12z to a Miller B at 00z.  Nice consistency.

Looks like our block decided to move about 500 miles NE from past runs.  Until some other models start backing it up, I wouldn't think we should worry too much, especially with the Euro currently showing suppression depression.

:facepalm::bag:

Was this an attempt to troll the board?

It seems you have a history of trolling since you've previously only selectively posted your Euro weekly info when those charts projected warm instead of cold in the middle of winter.  I know this from casually reading this board since '10 and I'm positive I recall only warm ECMWF weekly posts from Mr. Bob.  Delta has noticed the same.

Yet, now you wait until mid-March to jump on a setup and compare it to the last widespread 6-10" of snow that SC & NC saw

I don't mean to cause a rift, but I call it like I see it... this board wasn't meant to be a place for mind games or to lure false hope to those without Met tags

good to hear Queen, although I have seen evidence to the contrary and I'm no fool... many times others would post euro weeklies when they were cold

also, saying this is the best setup since January of '11 (back when the PDO wasn't an absolute mess) is a bit of a stretch

I think his was point was that at times, it seems like some posters will come out of hibernation just to talk about a model if it shows what they want. I do agree that we usually only see, at least lately, Mr. Bob only talking about how the Euro weeklies are a blowtorch and winter is over. Now I live the euro and usually it shi*s alllllllllllll over the GFS, but this year the weeklies, and somewhat the OP runs have been terrible. That's just my 0.02 cents.

You guys have a problem with me let's take it to PM....I am not going to be getting in a pissing contest with you here. This is not the first time clown name has jumped on my posts...

You guys have a problem with me let's take it to PM....I am not going to be getting in a pissing contest with you here. This is not the first time clown name has jumped on my posts...

I appreciate your realistic approach. It is much more accurate in the long run than commenting on every positive thing that shows up way down the road.

Frank Strait saying on his blog that next weekend will have to be watched for snow for the carolinas.  He thought winter was over but not so fast he said for the carolinas.  Cold air will be firmly entrentched and here comes the moisture. 

One last hope, hey its not out of the question,  we all know from years past what March and even April can bring to the Mtns. :snowing:

March 25th......... exactly 42 years ago the Upstate of South Carolina got 8 to 12 inches of snow. Biggest flakes of snow I can ever remember seeing fall, from late that morning till after dark that night. And of course, a complete surprise.

I appreciate your realistic approach. It is much more accurate in the long run than commenting on every positive thing that shows up way down the road.

Thanks....I definitely prefaced my Jan 2011 comment with...

"I would be a little squeamish forecasting any snow outside of higher elevations at this point." in response to Larry saying the models were showing more general light snow (which he was not forecasting)...It is ashame for the winter weather lovers that a good pattern finally comes in late March...

Thanks....I definitely prefaced my Jan 2011 comment with...

"I would be a little squeamish forecasting any snow outside of higher elevations at this point." in response to Larry saying the models were showing more general light snow (which he was not forecasting)...It is ashame for the winter weather lovers that a good pattern finally comes in late March...

I think what happened to DC, the first part of this month, should be a big lesson (or warning) for tracking this potential system. I also think for us to get any snow we'll have to get heavy rates. Any light snow will either not make it to the ground (frozen) or not accumulate (bad surface temps). So it's either a lot or none.   **It is a shame**    

Archived