joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Pattern and Discussion

Bevo

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright - first time starting a new thread.  We'll know soon enough if it's bad juju or good mojo.  Leave the bollocks at the door. [/quote

I like it, I am all in now for the March 6 event. The ENS have a strong signal for a storm, we need the strong blocking to hold and some luck.

Alright - first time starting a new thread. We'll know soon enough if it's bad juju or good mojo. Leave the bollocks at the door. [/quote

Stronger storm this weekend creating more confluence over the northeast.

I like it, I am all in now for the March 6 event. The ENS have a strong signal for a storm, we need the strong blocking to hold and some luck.

The Euro wasn't far off for NC/TN and the Ensemble Mean was likely a snowstorm (24-hour panels, though).  I still think we might be in business, though things are up in the air.

If we don't get some dramatic trends today, it's time to punt the weekend potential, though, IMO (aside from some scattered flizzards).

I just took a look at the 06z GFS and it literally shows no precip whatsoever from the 3/6 system for central NC.  Not one drop of rain.  Not one flake of snow.  Nada.  Yikes.

Well done, Bevo. I tripped over some bullocks at the door and then saw that Brick was in here. So far so good. JK Brick :P

It is hard to believe that such a deep and energetic trough with all the right teleconnections in place this weekend won't produce something for someone. I think we see QPF ramp up over the next 24-48.

It is hard to believe that such a deep and energetic trough with all the right teleconnections in place this weekend won't produce something for someone. I think we see QPF ramp up over the next 24-48.

I would agree with the precip ramping up over the next two days.  In the past, the nam shows the strongest energy with a meager surface reflection only to trend wetter to match as the event approaches.

By the way, the new 12z nam is digging the energy through the panhandles of OK and TX.  It's stronger and further west with a slightly better axis than 6z in my opinion.  Let's see where it goes.

Well done, Bevo. I tripped over some bullocks at the door and then saw that Brick was in here. So far so good. JK Brick :P

So you think the models are not matching up well with the meterology?

If that votex was not in the NE..yes.

Thanks for the analysis.  It looks like the vortex might me a tough weaker on this run compared to the last, but it is not moving out.  I thought that there appeared to be slightly more ridging off the east coast that could help.  By hr 84 there's a closed off piece over NC with no precip at the surface.  Not sure about this look?

12znam500mbvort084.gif

Thanks for the analysis.  It looks like the vortex might me a tough weaker on this run compared to the last, but it is not moving out.  I thought that there appeared to be slightly more ridging off the east coast that could help.  By hr 84 there's a closed off piece over NC with no precip at the surface.  Not sure about this look?

That vortex is too sprawled out from PA all the way out into the Atlantic.  It kills any opportunity for any ridge to develop ahead of our shortwave which keeps the trough positive tilt.  Also that vortex can't move north because the block is in full force in southern greenland as you can see it nosing in from the east. 

Really for anything much to happen we need that 500mb low to close off around the MS/LA/AR border and then slide east.  Or we need that PV in the NE to get out of the way.  Neither scenario looks likely at this point in time.

post-347-0-95247900-1361979078_thumb.gif

Posts like this are really, really, really helpful and informative. Please do this more.

That vortex is too sprawled out from PA all the way out into the Atlantic.  It kills any opportunity for any ridge to develop ahead of our shortwave which keeps the trough positive tilt.  Also that vortex can't move north because the block is in full force in southern greenland as you can see it nosing in from the east. 

attachicon.gifnam_namer_075_500_vort_ht.gif

On the main board donsutherland has some good reading about the analogs going in to mid March.  He thinks the blocks may hold for a while and help keep it cold through March 20.  The GFS Ensembles show quite alot of blockiness as well and seem to meet his analogs.  However it doesn't look to me to be a very amplified pattern.  It looks very zonal and non-stormy.  I could be wrong on that, but the telleconnections for the PNA, NAO, and AO seem to want to go back to neutral around the March 10-15 timeframe (PNA goes back negative).  Thus right now I see us as just cold then cool and dry to mid March. Throwing that out for discussion, but that's kind of what I see from a lehman's point of view. 

biJuU9Jl.gif

Looking at the 12z GFS, while the energy is diving further southwest at 45 hours -- into old Mexico -- I'm not sure that is really doing us any good. All it does is -- it seems to me -- keeping the positive tile orientation of the trough strong. The bad news -- per moto's excellent analysis -- is that the blocking ridge is nosing down further from the NE over the maritimes. My ill-informed prediction is that this run will not get us where we need to be.

Looking at the 12z GFS, while the energy is diving further southwest at 45 hours -- into old Mexico -- I'm not sure that is really doing us any good. All it does is -- it seems to me -- keeping the positive tile orientation of the trough strong. The bad news -- per moto's excellent analysis -- is that the blocking ridge is nosing down further from the NE over the maritimes. My ill-informed prediction is that this run will not get us where we need to be.

That darn blocking there...won't let the vortex get out the way.  But if it wasn't there it'd be a lakes cutter.  Can't win. 

Archived