Newest Member
    joxey
March Pattern and Discussion

Bevo

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brad Panovich
March 2013 will go down as the 5th coldest March since 1939 in Charlotte, NC when the observations were moved to the Airport. It would rank as the 7th coldest since records began in Charlotte 135 years ago in 1878. In most recent history this is the coldest March since 1969 which was the 4th coldest since 1939.

Brad Panovich

March 2013 will go down as the 5th coldest March since 1939 in Charlotte, NC when the observations were moved to the Airport. It would rank as the 7th coldest since records began in Charlotte 135 years ago in 1878. In most recent history this is the coldest March since 1969 which was the 4th coldest since 1939.

and it stinks we couldnt pull out a 1"+ snowstorm out of it.

Grant Gilmore (@grant_gilmore)

3/29/13, 3:09 PM

Now this would be interesting; Snow in April? PTIA has only seen measurable snow once in April.

April 19, 1983, I assume?  I know RDU saw ~2" from that one (amazing for mid-April, to say the least), though I think it was only a dusting out this way.

I didn't live here in April 2007 (I lived in WV from 2003-2007), so I don't remember that one.  I think places in GA saw snow from that, too.

April 3, 1915 saw ~10" of snow in Raleigh, though less out this way.  Of course, that was way before PTI was built.

With all that being said, I'm not holding my breath.  I don't think I've ever seen snow fly in April before, so that would be something to see.

April 19, 1983, I assume?  I know RDU saw ~2" from that one (amazing for mid-April, to say the least), though I think it was only a dusting out this way.

I remember the April 1983 snow in Raleigh.  I am certain somewhere I have a picture of snow covered blooming azalea bushes taken during that event.

I didn't live here in April 2007 (I lived in WV from 2003-2007), so I don't remember that one.  I think places in GA saw snow from that, too.

April 3, 1915 saw ~10" of snow in Raleigh, though less out this way.  Of course, that was way before PTI was built.

With all that being said, I'm not holding my breath.  I don't think I've ever seen snow fly in April before, so that would be something to see.

We had 1" of snow here April 11 1989, then there was Easter 2007 which gave a quick dusting on grass and roofs but temps were upper 30's so it melted as soon as it stopped snowing. Those are the only times I recall of snow in April.

Then of course they had 2" here back in the 1915 event but you would have to ask jburns for details on that one... :devilsmiley:

From FFC:

MARCH APPEARS ON TRACK TO BE THE COOLEST MARCH SINCE 1971. THE
AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH AT ATL THUS FAR IS 47.9 DEG
F...WHICH IF THE MONTH ENDED TODAY WOULD BE THE 16TH COOLEST MARCH
SINCE 1879. INTERESTINGLY...MARCH 2013 WILL BE COOLER THAN BOTH
DECEMBER 2012 AND JANUARY 2013 WHICH HAS NOT HAPPENED (MARCH BEING
COOLER THAN THE PREVIOUS DEC AND JAN) SINCE 1947.

HERE ARE THE NUMBERS THUS FAR AT THE 4 CLIMATE SITES THROUGH 28
DAYS OF MARCH:

SITE....AVG TEMP.....RANK (COOLEST)
ATL     47.9         16
MCN     49.6          6
CSG     52.7          8
AHN     48.0         11

From FFC:

MARCH APPEARS ON TRACK TO BE THE COOLEST MARCH SINCE 1971. THE

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH AT ATL THUS FAR IS 47.9 DEG

F...WHICH IF THE MONTH ENDED TODAY WOULD BE THE 16TH COOLEST MARCH

SINCE 1879. INTERESTINGLY...MARCH 2013 WILL BE COOLER THAN BOTH

DECEMBER 2012 AND JANUARY 2013 WHICH HAS NOT HAPPENED (MARCH BEING

COOLER THAN THE PREVIOUS DEC AND JAN) SINCE 1947.

HERE ARE THE NUMBERS THUS FAR AT THE 4 CLIMATE SITES THROUGH 28

DAYS OF MARCH:

SITE....AVG TEMP.....RANK (COOLEST)

ATL     47.9         16

MCN     49.6          6

CSG     52.7          8

AHN     48.0         11

Great call by GaWx, sticking with his analogs and going for a chilly end of Feb into March in the face of a warm Dec to early Feb, with no evidence that a turn to below normal temps was looming.  A good snow event in the lower lands would have been icing on the cake for the call.

This is going to be the most negative Arctic Oscillation (AO) value ever for the month of March, back to 1950.  There have only been 5 occurrences of a March AO less than -2.00, and never one less than -3.00, until this year

March AO

2013: -3.173 (as of Mar 29)

1962: -2.848

1958: -2.522

1984: -2.386

1970: -2.084

1957: -2.017

Here are the temperature departures for this March and last March - polar opposites...

March 2013

march2013tempdep.gif

March 2012

march2012tempdep.gif

Looking more and more likely that next weeks cold snap will be the last widespread freeze and frost for most (outside mtns) this season.  Long range GFS does not show any significant cold shots going into mid April. After this time it would be very rare to see below freezing temps event with a good pattern. So Thursday morning may be the last time you scape your windshields for at least 6 months.

Archived