wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
March Pattern and Discussion

Bevo

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday's high at Atlanta was only 42. This is 3 colder than any high this past January and colder than any high this DJF! The only ones as cold or colder were on 3/2-3. Also, 3/25/13's mean temp. departure was -17, which was the coldest departure since 1/12/2011! The 3/26/13 mean departure of -20 was the coldest since the -22 of 12/14/10! The March MTD for Savannah has been like a normal March MTD in Atlanta. Such exciting times!

Yesterday's high at Atlanta was only 42. This is 3 colder than any high this past January and colder than any high this DJF! The only ones as cold or colder were on 3/2-3. Also, 3/25/13's mean temp. departure was -17, which was the coldest departure since 1/12/2011! The 3/26/13 mean departure of -20 was the coldest since the -22 of 12/14/10! The March MTD for Savannah has been like a normal March MTD in Atlanta. Such exciting times!

Okay - now you're just bragging. :D

Seriously though - amazing job Larry. 

Okay - now you're just bragging. :D

Seriously though - amazing job Larry.

Thanks, much appreciated from a no bollocks kind of person like you. Actually, I like to think of it as fulfilling my obligation to verify for the reader....ok, maybe I'm getting a little bollocky now lol.

Seriously, I love late season cold.....can you tell? ;)

I think we got that look many times in January. The problem was in Jan. you can handle 40 and rain because it's Jan. 

Haha, well, yeah, but if we had that track in January it may be snow.  Then again, there's no real source of cold air (and no high to the north), so perhaps not, though if 1/17 was any indication, it may not matter.

Haha, well, yeah, but if we had that track in January it may be snow. Then again, there's no real source of cold air (and no high to the north), so perhaps not, though if 1/17 was any indication, it may not matter.

We don't get Gulf lows and strong high pressure near the Lakes in January anymore. C'mon man. You know this! :)

I was telling myself all day that this is what winter is supposed to feel like.  Finally a winter's day, but not in a deep and dark December.  Now I'm plotting snow on the grass in April.  It's been a while since I've seen that, lol. But with some storms in the gulf...who knows.

Well, Larry's March has been very refreshing.  Many thanks after a disappointing heart of winter.  Many's the year that March has not let me down! 

Snow on the ground in early April, then a wet and cold spring... would be perfection, lol.  I dread anything over 73/with breezes :)   Tony

I was telling myself all day that this is what winter is supposed to feel like.  Finally a winter's day, but not in a deep and dark December.  Now I'm plotting snow on the grass in April.  It's been a while since I've seen that, lol. But with some storms in the gulf...who knows.

Well, Larry's March has been very refreshing.  Many thanks after a disappointing heart of winter.  Many's the year that March has not let me down! 

Snow on the ground in early April, then a wet and cold spring... would be perfection, lol.  I dread anything over 73/with breezes :)   Tony

You're welcome lol. I didn't know I was that powerful. While I'm as it and while at least you and I are having fun, why don't I just extend it into April lol? Per the 0Z Thu 3/28 Goofy clown, there's 1-2" of S in parts of TN on 4/2, there's 1-3" of snow on 4/3 near the AR/LA/MS intersection, and there's 1-3" in far NW SC into far SW NC on 4/4!! Very much keeping hope alive!

Brad Panovich says don't put the jackets and blankets away until June:

Brad Panovich I don't think we have to worry about any quick warm-up to 90s anytime soon. There really is no heat waves anywhere on the horizon. The pattern through June is cool. The 45 day outlook I posted yesterday kept temperature below normal through mid-May.

Brad Panovich says don't put the jackets and blankets away until June:

Brad Panovich I don't think we have to worry about any quick warm-up to 90s anytime soon. There really is no heat waves anywhere on the horizon. The pattern through June is cool. The 45 day outlook I posted yesterday kept temperature below normal through mid-May.

We're 7 weeks away from the start of our typical summertime pattern. Summer will come in with a vengeance sometime...

Thus far, it has been the eight coldest March in recorded history at GSO, with an average temp of 43.3.

According to the TWC: Raleigh, Atlanta, Charleston, SC, Greenville, SC and others had colder average March temperature than January (I believe as of March 26).  As I understand it, the blocking pattern is supposed to break down after the shot of cold under coming in next week.

i remember a few years back cool then mid 90's before mid May

It's not that rare. It's looking more and more like this:

If the blocking holds well into April this will be one of those years without a true spring.  At least how we usually think of spring in these parts.  Instead of several weeks of highs in the upper sixties and 70s we will remain cool until the pattern suddenly breaks and we skip right to the 80s.

Archived