• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Pattern and Discussion

Bevo

The Euro wasn't far off for NC/TN and the Ensemble Mean was likely a snowstorm (24-hour panels, though).  I still think we might be in business, though things are up in the air.

If we don't get some dramatic trends today, it's time to punt the weekend potential, though, IMO (aside from some scattered flizzards).

I just took a look at the 06z GFS and it literally shows no precip whatsoever from the 3/6 system for central NC.  Not one drop of rain.  Not one flake of snow.  Nada.  Yikes.

Not picking on you, James, because many people use this analogy, but I just don't understand this one.  Why are we punting, so to speak?  In football, you punt when a first down is unlikely and you hope to pin the opponent down against his own endzone.  What do we gain in this hobby of ours by punting?  Do we get better field position somehow?

I'm all for "going for it" on fourth down!  So what if we get stuffed at the line of scrimmage?  We are not then less likely to have a winning drive with the next system, are we?

Anyway, I just thought I'd argue semantics against a phrase that doesn't seem to apply, in my opinion, but is used quite frequently on this site.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not giving up.  I know we're going to run out of time, ten more days and ten more days is going to run into April.  Can someone tell me why its so hard to have low to form in the gulf while we have the cold air in place?  Why do we seem to have great signals now but every storm seems to be doing the opposite of what we need.  I'm cornfused, but still hoping for the weekend or next week before we run out of time.

I'm not giving up. I know we're going to run out of time, ten more days and ten more days is going to run into April. Can someone tell me why its so hard to have low to form in the gulf while we have the cold air in place? Why do we seem to have great signals now but every storm seems to be doing the opposite of what we need. I'm cornfused, but still hoping for the weekend or next week before we run out of time.

I believe the trough is just too far east to get a Gulf low. The PNA ridge needs to be further west to allow something to dig in and tap Gulf moisture, then ride up the East Coast.

Well done, Bevo. I tripped over some bullocks at the door and then saw that Brick was in here. So far so good. JK Brick :P

It is hard to believe that such a deep and energetic trough with all the right teleconnections in place this weekend won't produce something for someone. I think we see QPF ramp up over the next 24-48.

Considering this weekend (3/2 specifically), I find it interesting that NWS is comparing it to the 2/16 surprise in Upstate SC.  I know I've sworn off the Never Again Man, but if that energy does in fact manage to close off even a minor ULL that far south, I could see it happening again.  It don't know that convection would burst as robustly this time though. 

In my opinion, the areas with the best chance of seeing snow this weekend are the WNC mountains (TN/NC border for sure), NW SC and possibly NE GA - as it looks at the moment.  Outside elevation, I don't think it digs far enough south to really amp the qpf - but I thought that on 2/16 as well.

***Edit***

Finally had time to look at the 12Z...uhhhh......

I'm not giving up.  I know we're going to run out of time, ten more days and ten more days is going to run into April.  Can someone tell me why its so hard to have low to form in the gulf while we have the cold air in place?  Why do we seem to have great signals now but every storm seems to be doing the opposite of what we need.  I'm cornfused, but still hoping for the weekend or next week before we run out of time.

I don't get it, either. It's been like that every time we seem to have a "great pattern." It shouldn't be that hard to get a low in the Gulf when we have the cold air.

Yeah it is....The vortex in the Atlantic is breaking down just in time to let slide east and north of us. We just can't get any trends to go in our favor.

The low is so far north but then hits the blocking and literally nose dives south.  I don't what the heck to think on this storm, except to watch more models :-)

The low is so far north but then hits the blocking and literally nose dives south.  I don't what the heck to think on this storm, except to watch more models :-)

Just a crazy run....I don't know what to think. My thinking was the vortex was breaking down so it would slide just to the north of us but it was like it just hit a wall and started moving dead south as burger mentioned. Go figure.

@177 it has put down .25 on most of NC which would mainly be snow. .50 just west of CLT along the border of NC/SC. 

Well, that's finally a good step in the right direction. Maybe it will keep trending better. Pleanty of time left. I just hope it doesn't start to go backwards like this weekend's system seems to be doing.

Archived