joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WidreMann told us it was gonna snow thread

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much unanimous agreement with the 18z mems at 72hrs, there goes our potential big dog off the SE Coast, trough could not tap it in time...   :(

Still a few, 3 or 4, that indicate development associated with energy coming down, P009 gets the 18z GFS  :weenie:  award today. congrats 009, you earned it.\

Oh yes, I'm all aboard the #9 train.  That's a dream run for most of the South and a true Big Dog in NC.  Looks like some mixing issues from the Triad south and east early on, but it would be a significant snow for almost all of us.   :weenie:

http://raleighwx.ame...sp009p06096.gif

http://raleighwx.ame...sp009p06102.gif

http://raleighwx.ame...sp009p06108.gif

http://raleighwx.ame...sp009p06114.gif

http://raleighwx.ame...sp009p06120.gif

http://raleighwx.ame...sp009p06126.gif

Did the Canadian stick with that cutter solution? Talk about being "out to lunch"....

Yep, but its ensembles are all offshore, Canadian maritime type deal at 108, crazy to see a model such an outlier within its own suite!

Want to see the difference between 4D Var and the GFS (3D), check out the res for both, 12z run today, +93 hours...

ECMWF

post-382-0-28465600-1360718805_thumb.jpg

GFS

post-382-0-99297700-1360718831_thumb.jpg

Just as the blind squirrel (GFS) sometimes finds a nut, my money is always on the EC sniffing out the lots of energy, interaction, cluster flip scenarios.  Second would be the UK, the resolution and computational muscle behind the super computers across the pond is no match for our best of show.  Wish it was different, another disco, but the resources have not been allocated to change it.  

For the math guys, those with a little bit of linear algebra, and basic calc, 4D Var for dummies

post-382-0-87913300-1360719338_thumb.jpg

http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/events/adjoint_workshop-8/present/Sunday/Kepert1.pdf

Yep, but its ensembles are all offshore, Canadian maritime type deal at 108, crazy to see a model such an outlier within its own suite!

Want to see the difference between 4D Var and the GFS (3D), check out the res for both, 12z run today, +93 hours...

ECMWF

attachicon.gif12zecdvar.JPG

GFS

Just as the blind squirrel (GFS) sometimes finds a nut, my money is always on the EC sniffing out the lots of energy, interaction, cluster flip scenarios.  Second would be the UK, the resolution and computational muscle behind the super computers across the pond is no match for our best of show.  Wish it was different, another disco, but the resources have not been allocated to change it.  

For the math guys, those with a little bit of linear algebra, and basic calc, 4D Var for dummies

Great disco today Chris, we need you around more often. 

ECMWF

attachicon.gif12zecdvar.JPG

GFS

attachicon.gif12zgfsdvar.JPG

attachicon.gif4dvar.JPG

http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/events/adjoint_workshop-8/present/Sunday/Kepert1.pdf

ah, I guess that's why the energy over TX on the gfs isn't as apparent. The NAM and GGEM both have plenty of it over texas at 84 hours...when the GFS is barely there or it's "absent" or not hi-res enough to see it.

Great disco today Chris, we need you around more often.

I appreciate you not quoting my images, true veteran! Folks, when quoting images or long text, please cut out the bulk of it, helps to keep the wear down on the scroll wheel as we are viewing pages.

Hard to say where we stand currently man, I would like to see greater variability in the ens mems, that would indicate the initial conditions are more subject to change as t is stepped, and in honesty, great consensus for a non-show. As we have seen in times past, we are kind of entering this dark area inside day 5 where the guidance has difficulty picking up on energy coming out of Canada, add to that a complete cluster with parcels interacting over the central Plains day 3.5 - 4, still enough to pique ones interest. As you know, it is much easier to get these OTS tracks trend back west, closer to the gulf stream, in the home stretch compared to taking an Apps runner at day 4 or 5, and pushing it to the coast come verification. I tried to illustrate with my post above the amount of variability even in the most accurate weather model on the planet run to run. While the changes may seem insignificant with result to the final solution, the model is arriving at such with different factors weighing in. 96hrs out, we have what 2 or 3 days ago was a broad trough, now appearing sharper and maybe not as deep as originally advertised. Tilt is currently projected to be positive turning neutral over GA, maybe neg thereafter. Need to back that orientation west 200-300 miles, or more, not out of the realm at this range, the amount of lee-way given the weakening ridge out west does seem limited though.

I appreciate you not quoting my images, true veteran! Folks, when quoting images or long text, please cut out the bulk of it, helps to keep the wear down on the scroll wheel as we are viewing pages.

Hard to say where we stand currently man, I would like to see greater variability in the ens mems, that would indicate the initial conditions are more subject to change as t is stepped, and in honesty, great consensus for a non-show. As we have seen in times past, we are kind of entering this dark area inside day 5 where the guidance has difficulty picking up on energy coming out of Canada, add to that a complete cluster with parcels interacting over the central Plains day 3.5 - 4, still enough to pique ones interest. As you know, it is much easier to get these OTS tracks trend back west, closer to the gulf stream, in the home stretch compared to taking an Apps runner at day 4 or 5, and pushing it to the coast come verification. I tried to illustrate with my post above the amount of variability even in the most accurate weather model on the planet run to run. While the changes may seem insignificant with result to the final solution, the model is arriving at such with different factors weighing in. 96hrs out, we have what 2 or 3 days ago was a broad trough, now appearing sharper and maybe not as deep as originally advertised. Tilt is currently projected to be positive turning neutral over GA, maybe neg thereafter. Need to back that orientation west 200-300 miles, or more, not out of the realm at this range, the amount of lee-way given the weakening ridge out west does seem limited though.

Well as usual every model outside of the Euro wants to paint our energy different on every run just look at the NAM @45 compared to the NAM @18z. Vort up north is juiced and energy in the west is just weak glob but a bigger weak glob than 18z at the same time. So you gotta wonder if those little changes will have an affect later on as the pieces come into play later on. I guess what is keeping me excited is just the flow all winter. It seems that storms have just had a lot more moisture than modeled when there is something there. The game is on and it's gonna come down to the finish line before we know who wins. Certainly not expecting much that's for sure. 

Trough a touch sharper and tilted a bit better at 72, but also everything further east. West ridge not very impressive. This isn't enough to save us.

Actually looks very similar to 18z GFS at 5h at 84. This one is fading fast. Hopefully we'll get some miracle tonight on the euro or the models pick something up in the upcoming days cause if not this one might be DOA.

Actually looks very similar to 18z GFS at 5h at 84. This one is fading fast. Hopefully we'll get some miracle tonight on the euro or the models pick something up in the upcoming days cause if not this one might be DOA.

Why are people saying this after the trend on today's Euro? It went from showing no low at all, to a somewhat substantial one that blossoms, ATM, a bit too late. Who cares if the 12z GFS backed down a little bit?

Why are people saying this after the trend on today's Euro? It went from showing no low at all, to a somewhat substantial one that blossoms, ATM, a bit too late. Who cares if the 12z GFS backed down a little bit?

I agree the focus should be on the euro no the gfs...in other words, gfs runs should not "cancel" this storm. Phase was late on the euro and imo looked a little off with the northern stream energy so far west, the timing of everything is still way off on most models.

I agree the focus should be on the euro no the gfs...in other words, gfs runs should not "cancel" this storm. Phase was late on the euro and imo looked a little off with the northern stream energy so far west, the timing of everything is still way off on most models.

Yeah, the Euro isn't perfect, but it is a sign that the models haven't converged yet. This will be one of those things where we have to wait for the shortwaves to land before the models stabilize. 60% chance they stabilize out to sea and 40% chance not, but definitely not no chance. I've seen enough of these come back to life in the last 48-72 hours to know that we are throwing in the towel way too soon.

Um, whoever you are, could you please get word to Widre that we are all thinking of him and are praying that whomever has hijacked his computer will return access to him as soon as possible. Thanks.

Yeah, the Euro isn't perfect, but it is a sign that the models haven't converged yet. This will be one of those things where we have to wait for the shortwaves to land before the models stabilize. 60% chance they stabilize out to sea and 40% chance not, but definitely not no chance. I've seen enough of these come back to life in the last 48-72 hours to know that we are throwing in the towel way too soon.

Archived