joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WidreMann told us it was gonna snow thread

LithiaWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unusual and surprising to see this from the NWS in Peachtree City(KFFC).

They must be buying into a wetter solution for Fri-Sat period.

They have a 30% chance of rain in Macon on Saturday with a high of 50.

They're so conservative that when they post "30% chance" of anything 96 hours away they are sure of the event and must have heard from God.

LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...THE UPPER LEVEL SHORT WAVE FINALLY PULLS THE REMAINING PRECIP OUT OFTHE CWA WEDNESDAY NIGHT LEAVING A DRY FORECAST FOR THURSDAY ANDTHURSDAY NIGHT. FOR FRIDAY...A SHORT WAVE WILL DROP OUT OF CANADAAND INTO THE MIDWEST DEEPENING THE H5 TROUGH OVER EASTERN CANADA ANDTHE GREAT LAKES. IN RESPONSE AN ARCTIC FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THECWA FRIDAY NIGHT AND EARLY SATURDAY. MOST OF THE MOISTURE ASSOCIATEDWITH THIS FRONT WILL BE ALONG AND BEHIND THE FRONT. LOW LEVELTHICKNESS PROGS INDICATE A RAIN/SNOW MIX ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREAFRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY...HOWEVER SURFACE TEMPS WILL KEEP MOST OFTHE PRECIP IN THE LIQUID FORM OVER MOST OF THE AREA...EXCEPT FOR THEEXTREME NORTH WHERE THERE WILL BE A RAIN/SNOW MIX. THE PRECIP SHOULDBE OUT OF THE CWA BY 00Z SUN. A STRONG NORTHWEST UPSLOPE FLOW IN THEMOUNTAINS SATURDAY NIGHT COULD HOLD MOISTURE AND LIGHT SNOW IN FOR ALITTLE LONGER AND WILL KEEP A 20/30 POP GOING FOR THE NORTHEASTMOUNTAINS SATURDAY NIGHT. IT APPEARS GUIDANCE TEMPS ARE COMING MOREIN LINE WITH AN ARCTIC AIRMASS...BUT THEY STILL APPEAR TOO WARM ANDWILL NEED TO DROP THEM A FEW DEGREES.MUCH DRIER AIR MOVES INTO THE CWA SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY AND THISWILL HOLD THROUGH MONDAY.

I love how they say a rain/snow mix for the extreme north and in my forecast they have a 20% chance of rain/snow mix for me.

You guys give up too easy. :P

But it is interesting how the areas in the red oval seem to have a much easier time getting snow that areas in the green polygon (lower right):

attachicon.giff120.gif

Why does the DGEX still have it ? ;)

The MJO may head into the warm phases after this meaning essentially it is game over after this.

The MJO may head into the warm phases after this meaning essentially it is game over after this.

Nah, the DGEX is wide right too. :( Or maybe :) Anyway, the pattern is just too progressive it seems, which fits with this winter. But it is still several days away, and the precip blows up just off the coast. But a couple hundred miles of westward shift would put a lot of areas in play. But, it a progressive pattern. But the chances that the models have the key shortwaves accurately modeled are still questionable at best. But the eastward trend is noteworthy right now. But I still give it a 4 out of 10 for at least some areas in the SE seeing some snow.

The MJO in the cold phases really hasn't yielded a lot of abnormally cold, so I'm not sure how much influence it will eventually have on the pattern. Besides, Larry still thinks that a cold first half of March is in play. Maybe he'll be right. His research is very good.

Proclaiming game over after what comes or doesn't come out of this? Wow, that's bold.

1) Regardless of what does or doesn't come from this one, it is only mid-Feb. and this hasn't been a high threat situation from the get-go...just a possibility/speculation.

2) The correlation of MJO phases with the chance of wintry wx in the SE US is rather weak. It is far from black and white. There have been many instances of SE winter storms near/during the so-called unfavorable phases. If I get the chance, I'll see if I saved any analysis on this.

3) Even if it were black and white, MJO predictions by models are not all that reliable in general.

4) The analogs I've been following suggest a decent shot at a good wintry period (say ~1-2 weeks) in the SE US between late Feb. and mid March.

Not that it's probably worth much, but at 72 hours the GGEM has a pool of rain over the NE GOM that was not on the GFS. Probably wrong, but that's sort of what we want to see at that time if there is going to be any significant development out of this for the SE coast. Curious to see where the model goes from there.

LOL!!! Some of you all are crazy! It's Tuesday... the energy coming over the ridge hasn't even been sampled good yet and we have cliff jumpers. 

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSIONNWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD1012 AM EST TUE FEB 12 2013VALID 12Z FRI FEB 15 2013 - 12Z TUE FEB 19 2013THE PATTERN IS AN ACTIVE ONE FOR THE CONTIGUOUS UNITED STATES THISPERIOD, WITH ENERGY TRAVERSING THE NATION COAST TO COAST. THIS ISPEAK CLIMATOLOGY FOR WINTER STORMS OVER THE EASTERN STATES, SO ANYPHASING OF THE SPLIT FLOW COULD RESULT IN A HIGHLY IMPACTFULCYCLONE FOR THAT REGION. THERE ARE TWO SYSTEMS FATED ON PHASINGTHAT MAY PROVE TO HAVE SUCH IMPACT. THE FIRST WILL BE COMPLEXCYCLOGENESIS JUST OFF THE EAST COAST DAY 4. THE 00Z/12 GEM GLOBALPHASES ENERGY MORE QUICKLY AND AGGRESSIVELY THAN THE OTHER MODELS,WITH THE 00Z/12 GEFS MEAN IMPRESSIVELY DEVELOPED AS WELL. THE00Z/12 ECENS MEAN INDICATES MODEST PHASING JUST OFFSHORE, SLIGHTLYMORE DEVELOPED THAN EITHER THE 00Z/12 DETERMINISTIC ECMWF OR THE00Z/12 DETERMINISTIC GFS. CHOSE THE MIDDLE GROUND OF THE SKILLFULECENS MEAN FOR THE HANDLING OF THIS SYSTEM--THE BAGGINESS IN ITSSURFACE PRESSURES OFFSHORE ALLOWING WIGGLE ROOM FOR FURTHERTRENDING. THE SECOND SYSTEM OF INTEREST IS EXPECTED TO COALESCEOVER THE GREAT PLAINS LATE DAY 6 INTO DAY 7. THIS SYSTEM MAY BE OFSUFFICIENT AMPLITUDE TO VIGOROUSLY TAP THE GULF OF MEXICO, WITHIMPORT FOR BOTH CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL AS WELL AS MOISTURE TRANSPORTINTO THE PRIMARY SURFACE LOW FARTHER NORTH. THE LION'S SHARE OFENERGY FEEDING THIS SYSTEM WILL BE DROPPING INTO THE FAR WEST MIDPERIOD IN THE MANNER OF MOST OF THE SHORTWAVES AT THE MEDIUM RANGEOVER THAT REGION. THESE "INSIDE SLIDERS" PRECLUDE SIGNIFICANTIMPORT OF PACIFIC MOISTURE BY THE NATURE OF THEIR TRAJECTORIES. ASWITH THE EAST COAST SYSTEM EARLIER IN THE FORECAST, THE ECENS MEANAPPEARS TO REPRESENT A MIDDLE ROAD AND IS THE MOST COHERENT OF THERECENT GUIDANCE WITH REGARD TO THE TEMPORAL PROGRESSION OF THEFLOW.CISCO

Archived