joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPC Hourly Mesoscale Analysis shows the 32 deg. marker has moved north about 15 miles in the last 4 hours and now bisects LI and NYC lenghtwise (was along south shore at t =0).  Is this in accordance with the models for this time frame?

Although it would be somewhat hilarious if the gfs schooled everyone and basically slammed the door in our faces, not that it's a complete disaster. For one, it's all snow, no mixing problems and it still probably gives the city nearly a foot like some said and it would verify the current WSW over NJ as well. 

I'm so confident that the GFS is wrong that if the GFS verifies, I will not post on this forum for the rest of the winter. 

Not fair, that implies there would even be a winter after this storm :whistle:

I don't know much about convective feedback issues with the GFS, but what you say seems makes sense givin the trend of the GFS vs other models

so funny because if it showed 2 feet you all will be going nuts, not saying its right but good lord its one of the main models we use, its been consistent in not showing a snowfall

not showing a snowfalll????  10-12 inches on this run, about the same last run, what are you talking about?

If gfs is correct how much snow would we get??

If it was all snow I'd say 6-10...I like to cut QPF a bit on events almost always.  If it was mixing a bit, 4-8 probably...this is going to be our biggest storm of the season area wide, that much you can guarantee, whether its 4-8, 6-10, 10-15, or 15-20 is not as easy a call.

so funny because if it showed 2 feet you all will be going nuts, not saying its right but good lord its one of the main models we use, its been consistent in not showing a snowfall

Incorrect, 18z yesterday afternoon of the GFS was in line with current guidance other than it's own current guidance lol. Not that it matters considering the GFS cannot ever handle these types of storms well so no matter what it shows, I choose to ignore it and will continue to do so tonight. Makes things clearer and easier to forecast one way or another.

holy crap guys, the GFS just went a little bit east, and dropped totals from 1-1.25 down to .75-1". not THAT big of a failure. a blip, and probably an erroneous correction due to convection, but stop crucifying the model for pete's sake.

You of all people were calling for rain....right? Show me some rain for NYC on the latest sounding...

This has been my concern! It's accuracy is WAY higher than the NAM, RGEM, etc

At hour 18, look at the huge convective blob it develops east of it. Then look at how thereafter, the low seems to shift east towards it. That's what I think causes this kind of solution. It's a convective feedback issue. It seems to shift a lot of convection way east and causes that track. Could it happen? I guess, but I've seen this error before.

IMO, I've seen this happen numerous times when the GFS catches up on the day of the event.

last night everyone called the nam garbage. Which model is garbage?

Haha exactly ! Last night the NAM was so Far East and everyone called it garbage, and now the GFS is Far East and IT is garbage ? Lol GFS is on average much more reliable.....have to be concerned as I've been saying !

Archived