• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

just a suggestion...and for this storm I will be kinda in the area (Middlesex county NJ) so I have a dog in this hunt....

We are in an age where we have a massive pallette of data with which to paint the forecast...instead of focusing on the op run of one model, blend in the SREF, the meso models, and when they come out the GFS ensembles...before hitting the panic button on just the GFS op...

but yeah, it running in the opposite direction of a potential consensus will always grind our gears

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was all snow I'd say 6-10...I like to cut QPF a bit on events almost always.  If it was mixing a bit, 4-8 probably...this is going to be our biggest storm of the season area wide, that much you can guarantee, whether its 4-8, 6-10, 10-15, or 15-20 is not as easy a call.

4-8 is kinda low...even for gfs snowgoose.

At hour 18, look at the huge convective blob it develops east of it. Then look at how thereafter, the low seems to shift east towards it. That's what I think causes this kind of solution. It's a convective feedback issue. It seems to shift a lot of convection way east and causes that track. Could it happen? I guess, but I've seen this error before.

Stop being logical! It's time to cut snowfall in half, if not more, and bow to the GFS

Seriously people, relax and listen to the people who know what they are talking about.

At hour 18, look at the huge convective blob it develops east of it. Then look at how thereafter, the low seems to shift east towards it. That's what I think causes this kind of solution. It's a convective feedback issue. It seems to shift a lot of convection way east and causes that track. Could it happen? I guess, but I've seen this error before.

That convective blob SE of the low off NC/VA has been bothering me for days on the GFS, I think its what caused its 00Z run last night to be funky and it may have done so again.

If it was all snow I'd say 6-10...I like to cut QPF a bit on events almost always.  If it was mixing a bit, 4-8 probably...this is going to be our biggest storm of the season area wide, that much you can guarantee, whether its 4-8, 6-10, 10-15, or 15-20 is not as easy a call.

i think it t is all snow, and i think it depicts around 10-11 inches.  unless other guidance really changes i wouldnt cut qpf from gfs in mkaing a forecast,even as i agree with your general rule.

Haha exactly ! Last night the NAM was so Far East and everyone called it garbage, and now the GFS is Far East and IT is garbage ? Lol GFS is on average much more reliable.....have to be concerned as I've been saying !

You're seriously comparing last night's NAM to tonight's GFS? Last night's NAM barely had any precip at all for NJ. That was CLEARLY garbage, as we all correctly stated. This GFS is probably garbage, too, but not by nearly as much. 

we'll know relatively soon where we stand...probably around 9-10am tomorrow morning. If the low pressure is located on hse or just inland a solution like this can be thrown out. If the lp position looks similar then we should surely worry about an easterly less phased solution. My guess; its not even close

I think something similar happened here in CT on 1/12/11, the GFS was showing like 6-12" and the EURO was 15-25" (something like that) for several days and the EURO ended up being right (20"+ for most of SNE).

Granted different setup but something in the back of my mind.

Oh and I remember the NAM went nuts over CT that storm.

I was supposed to visit a friend in NYC on Sunday(driving from Lancaster, PA). I know the snow will be done, but 1 foot is a lot for a big city.  Would you recommend that I cancel or will the city be reasonably clear by then. thanks

Factor this in....last night as upton's AFD said...the nam had no idea that a storm would even be coming up the coast ! The GFS had this same idea....now the NAM is going bonkers and the GFS held serve all day and night....

And the Euro has held serve for 5 days now, while almost every other model has trended towards it...

It's not. The gfs is rain/mix to about 0z-3z and only .45" falls after. It's 4"-7" at most.

It has a surface temp of 39.5 at 1pm and 34 at 7pm. There are taints in other levels also.

one thing i am certain of is that the gfs surface temps are too high, i looked fast, so it is possible imissed a taint at 900 or something

from facebook:

While the unabated love affair of some forecasters with the ecmwf model continues, maybe because it is faithful to the cause, I still have concerns and they are being borne out by watching more short range data continue to give mixed signals. Yes, I'm apparently getting flak for not bowing down to the 1 to 2 or 2-1/2 foot snow totals in the immediate NYC area but I am going to play devils advocate... on this to the very end. Don't get me wrong- THIS IS GOING TO BE A BIG, AND POTENTIALLY CRIPPLING STORM. Will it really be historic? Biblical? Eastern New England for sure, maybe parts of CT and LI within the 880 listening area. But if our totals do wind up 6-12-18, banded sw to ne as I've mentioned on air, haven't we had storms like this before? If the 24-36" numbers verify, it indeed will not be forgotten. But here's why I've still capped my estimates:

Meteorological but bear with me- a)Check 21z sref. We don't go below freezing til nearly 10pm. Then, big precip banding is offshore. B) 0z ruc- each run bringing 540 line a bit further inland through afternoon. So I think we do lose some wasted qpf thru the afternoon. c)1z RAP- all rain for the coast even as of 3pm. d) 0z nam shows 540 all the way back to nw NJ then follows I-84, even as of 7pm. (and then still a big snow thump at night)

Craig Allen says  "I am going to play devils advocate... on this to the very end."

As written, it doesn't sound like somebody who is interested in getting it right.

Factor this in....last night as upton's AFD said...the nam had no idea that a storm would even be coming up the coast ! The GFS had this same idea....now the NAM is going bonkers and the GFS held serve all day and night....

2 days ago the GFS had this storm in Bermuda..please get your facts right..the ONLY model that has held serve for 5 days in a row has been the Euro

Archived