blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is the sounding...what am I missing

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM80km/NAM_kttn.txt

and the skew t, this mIGHT be sleet, but hr 27 is snow

look at the text data on knyc . im not trying to start a fight im just saying its not all snow

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM212/NAM212_Knyc.txt

look at the 900-875mb temp from hr 18-27 its 1-3 above .

Craig Allen has a good discussion on facebook explaining his concern that rain holds on for a longer period of time and that its mostly a 6 to 12" storm from the city westward

Craig knows his stuff, its not his first time at the rodeo. I urge everyone to read his post and understand what could happen with this storm and not just about hugging everything the model says

here is the sounding...what am I missing

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAM80km/NAM_kttn.txt

and the skew t, this mIGHT be sleet, but hr 27 is snow

130208030451.gif

The NAM BUFKIT shows rain when the soundinsgs are more sleet like, the worst I could see if the NAM verified right on is maybe a lengthy PL period of PLSN from 20Z-00Z or so but rain is highly unlikely, as usual the models don't see that boundary layer cooling that occurs

Craig Allen has a good discussion on facebook explaining his concern that rain holds on for a longer period of time and that its mostly a 6 to 12" storm from the city westward

that is concerning - he is one of thebest, if not the best in the city

Craig knows his stuff, its not his first time at the rodeo. I urge everyone to read his post and understand what could happen with this storm and not just about hugging everything the model says

He's always very conservative with snow amounts till the last minute. Lee Goldberg is a very good met too and he's now thinking 12-18 with potential increase in amounts!

look at the link i posted its a higher resolution and 3 hr timestamp they aren't snow all the way

This is what I am worried about for LI. Yes I did say earlier that models were trending colder, and that we didn't need to worry about a changeover, but after examining the text output closly on the 18z nam and 00z nam the 00z nam is obs warmer, and would warrant concern for the coastline for a change to rain for an extended period of time. Maybe it's the nam being the nam, and put out a hiccup for this run, but if the 00z gfs comes in warmer I would go for a rain/snow mix for the mid morning period for the LI coast.

Archived