joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sit back and think folks........this is an epic snowbomb for nyc, its isothermal and VVs are off the charts.

The column is cooled rapidly any warm layers are easily overcome if the NAM is correct;............and lets not forget its the warmest of guidance.

RIde the Euro all night long.

Man, the negativity is brutal, think.

This is what I am worried about for LI. Yes I did say earlier that models were trending colder, and that we didn't need to worry about a changeover, but after examining the text output closly on the 18z nam and 00z nam the 00z nam is obs warmer, and would warrant concern for the coastline for a change to rain for an extended period of time. Maybe it's the nam being the nam, and put out a hiccup for this run, but if the 00z gfs comes in warmer I would go for a rain/snow mix for the mid morning period for the LI coast.

The RGEM using its often 30-40 mile too warm on pytype in the NW sector on borderline systems would suggest the R/S line may setup right along Sandy Hook if you pushed things 30-40 miles or so, thats a very typical deal with storms here, snowing at JFK/EWR and raining Belmar.

On the NAM HR 15 , STARTS AS SOME LIGHT SNOW . BUT HR 18 - 21 -24 are lost almost 2 inches of liquid falls as rain as 850`s get as high as plus 2

However once to hr 27 .1.00 falls 850 are minus 3 , hr 30 .50 - falls 850`s are minus 10 , hr 33 .25-. fall 850`s are minus 15 hr 36 .10 - falls 850 are minus 10

BETWEEN HR 27 - 36 1.85 FALLS AS SNOW - RATIOS START AT 10 TO 1 AND GO TO 12 TO 1 .. THATS 20 INCHES AT THE PARK .

ITS IN LINE WITH THE EURO , GOD FOR BID THIS MODEL IS A TICK OR TWO TOO WARM THEN HR 24 WHEN 850`S ARE AT 0 TO PLUS 1 AND 1 INCH FALLING AS RAIN ISN`T then its really game on for NYC . For now i will give up the front end because my reward comes on the back

Euro is colder ....

I'm saying we as in the philly forum were posting the plymouth skew ts and they didn't match up with the sounding text that was being shown. Not sure if it was a one time glitch or what.

Why are we arguing over the NAM..there's too much precip..of course it's gonna be  warmer..don't believe for a second of 5 to 6 inches of precip..never happen in the cold months..never

I'm saying we as in the philly forum were posting the plymouth skew ts and they didn't match up with the sounding text that was being shown. Not sure if it was a one time glitch or what.

Then that's a big problem, isn't it? Did you address this issue with the folks at Plymouth State?

Craig Allen has a good discussion on facebook explaining his concern that rain holds on for a longer period of time and that its mostly a 6 to 12" storm from the city westward

Does that apply to those of us who are north and west of the city?

lotta rain on the RGEM on the south shore...

Once the winds turn NE and N, there really isn't much of a reason why the northern areas would have snow for like 5 hours longer than we would, IMO. Especially considering how strong the ageostrophic component would be in this setup, and how heavy the banding would be. 

Where is Craig Allen's blog ?

from facebook:

While the unabated love affair of some forecasters with the ecmwf model continues, maybe because it is faithful to the cause, I still have concerns and they are being borne out by watching more short range data continue to give mixed signals. Yes, I'm apparently getting flak for not bowing down to the 1 to 2 or 2-1/2 foot snow totals in the immediate NYC area but I am going to play devils advocate... on this to the very end. Don't get me wrong- THIS IS GOING TO BE A BIG, AND POTENTIALLY CRIPPLING STORM. Will it really be historic? Biblical? Eastern New England for sure, maybe parts of CT and LI within the 880 listening area. But if our totals do wind up 6-12-18, banded sw to ne as I've mentioned on air, haven't we had storms like this before? If the 24-36" numbers verify, it indeed will not be forgotten. But here's why I've still capped my estimates:

Meteorological but bear with me- a)Check 21z sref. We don't go below freezing til nearly 10pm. Then, big precip banding is offshore. B) 0z ruc- each run bringing 540 line a bit further inland through afternoon. So I think we do lose some wasted qpf thru the afternoon. c)1z RAP- all rain for the coast even as of 3pm. d) 0z nam shows 540 all the way back to nw NJ then follows I-84, even as of 7pm. (and then still a big snow thump at night)

Looks like 2' for basically all of Northern New Jerseg.

This is that moment when you start to lose the ability to react because of how incredible the data your looking at truly is.

Yes, and I actually truly expected a monster historic blizzard.  But when you see these runs, it leaves you speechless and absolutely awestruck.

Archived