joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what we should take away is that the NAM should have been a bit more east/lower qpf with the correction for the 2-3C error? 

Sure but no evidence to prove it would be as far east and as dry as the GFS in fact that differential would be no where near enough to get it all the way as east as the GFS was or as dry as it was.

Anyone also very very impressed with the radar down south ?   This thing is rich with moisture and I am starting to really believe that 2"+ total liquid is very possible over the area.   You don't see a juicy system like this BEFORE the phase too often.   

Definitely, and I think that the developed system tomorrow night will be very nice indeed. The source region of all this moisture makes it more confident. Just not 5" in 6 hours like the NAM had. :lol:

Going back to the whole warm temperatures equals higher heights thing: If it were the surface temperatures that were too warm, it wouldn't be a big deal, since those can cool easily with heavy precip. Also, the height of the surface isn't something that makes sense...it's just the surface...it always stays the same height.

But if you're increasing your 850mb temperature, that generally means your 850mb heights are higher, which helps to shift the 850mb low further west. That can lead to precipitation and banding being thrown too far west, and obviously would lead to more warm tainting than an 850mb low further east. 

Taking a look at the water vapor loop really leads me to believe that the NAM isn't that too far west.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

Yeah, the radar, water vapor loop, and infrared are extremely impressive. I think it definitely proves that the GFS and other lower res globals are too far east. The SLP might end up closer to the NAM than the GFS -- but the initialization error of that much at the 850mb level cannot be ignored. 

Yeah, the radar, water vapor loop, and infrared are extremely impressive. I think it definitely proves that the GFS and other lower res globals are too far east. The SLP might end up closer to the NAM than the GFS -- but the initialization error of that much at the 850mb level cannot be ignored. 

When you carefully examine the position of the developing center on water vapor and then draw a straight line with the motion the track is just off the Delmarva and inside the benchmark which matches the NAM very well.

No doubt but no way is that error enough to get it as east and dry as say the 0z GFS. Euro can't start soon enough. I think we will see it hold serve or even head to its 12z ensembles.

Archived