joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
blizzard of 2013 discussion

forkyfork

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so you're saying over 60% of the ukie precip is rain/sleet>?

According to surface temps maps, yes. So is gfs according to soundings.

Not saying they are right.

Ggem is also the same scenario.

All 3 are warm through 7pm. And all 3 have about .50"-.65" of precip after 7pm.

UKMET is one of the most floppy models out there, and sometimes can't nail an event until 1 run before verification. GGEM is better but again can get caught up in the intracacies of a convective precip event like this. Same with the GFS. I'll see how my call goes and hopefully it works out-again, I think we have a period of rain/mix on the coast/city but it flips over fast when the CCB gets cranking. If you get into that region of crazy lift/dynamics, you will snow very much, guaranteed.

According to surface temps maps, yes. So is gfs according to soundings. Not saying they are right. Ggem is also the same scenario. All 3 are warm through 7pm. And all 3 have about .50"-.65" of precip after 7pm.

The warmth just makes no sense. There's no mechanism for any of these models to warm the surface or the upper levels like this. None, nada. Whatever is doing it is a phantom creation due to these low model resolutions imho.

According to surface temps maps, yes. So is gfs according to soundings. Not saying they are right. Ggem is also the same scenario. All 3 are warm through 7pm. And all 3 have about .50"-.65" of precip after 7pm.

Surface temps are crap on lower res models, look at wind direction instead. If it's NE and off land, I doubt it's anywhere near that warm.

is it surface that is too warmn or othel evels,that makes a  huge difference in how much credibility iwould end to that solution.

Interesting to note, and not that it has any bearing on us, but Roanoke, VA has been getting fairly heavy snow (reports and checked out a few webcams) despite a forecast of mixed precipitation. This is from their recent AFD:

SEEMS COLDER AIR WINNING OUT AGAINST THE WARM NOSE OVER THEROANOKE/SOUTHERN SHENANDOAH VALLEYS INTO THE BLUE RIDGE OF FLOYD.SOME REPORTS OF HEAVY SNOW IN THE ROANOKE AREA SIGNIFYING LACK OFWARM NOSE PROGRESSION NORTH OF BLACKSBURG. MODELS HAVING A HARDTIME WITH THIS...BUT THE 18Z GFS/21Z SREF NOT TOO BAD IN THEPLACEMENT OF PRECIP.

Surface temps are crap on lower res models, look at wind direction instead. If it's NE and off land, I doubt it's anywhere near that warm.

Not disagreeing. But seeing temps of 39-41 degrees for NYC on the gfs and ukie at 1pm tomorrow, is a bit annoying.

Take a good look at the radar, the moisture is developing great and it is steadily moving north way quicker than expected. The shearing has not occurred yet, and it doesn't look like it will. The gfs and other models showed the shearing as the precip got closer to coast, if it is wrong like it looks, could signal that gfs and others like it are totally wrong! Also shows moderate snow starting 8:45 in our area, light snow at 4 to 5 ish

According to surface temps maps, yes. So is gfs according to soundings.

Not saying they are right.

Ggem is also the same scenario.

All 3 are warm through 7pm. And all 3 have about .50"-.65" of precip after 7pm.

It's with in the realm of possible outcomes hence the low end of many forecast totals. One good thing I guess, is the ukie is no longer tracking the low over Bermuda. I'll stick with the old EE rule in this case. But substitute the NAM with ETA and favor the EC by 65%.

Right now I'm thinking precip may be a hair too late for us here to start as snow, lots of 33/22 T/Td spreads but I think we may work up to 36/28 or 37/30 or so by the time precip arrives 11-13Z.  At that point its a question too if any mid-level warm layers are in there, if so the 20-23Z changeover time is probably about right, if not we could see a faster transition.

Right now I'm thinking precip may be a hair too late for us here to start as snow, lots of 33/22 T/Td spreads but I think we may work up to 36/28 or 37/30 or so by the time precip arrives 11-13Z.  At that point its a question too if any mid-level warm layers are in there, if so the 20-23Z changeover time is probably about right, if not we could see a faster transition.

What makes it likely we will get that warm? What mechanism is there in all of this to warm us up that much with pig cold high to our north? Is it roaring SE winds or something else? I honestly just don't buy that but hey what do I know which is why I am asking you lol.

Archived