Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're going to regret not having the national guard ready in some of these areas.

There's only one or two gas stations open in se ma in this area right now and they are about out of fuel. Power is still out to pilgrim nuclear they shut down automatically and are on generator power which hopefully continues to work!

I'd say about 10" here snowing light to moderate. Worst storm for power grid damage I've ever seen here.

The further north stall set a record for Portland which is cool. Snow sports needed the snow up there bad. Given the power situation here and what may be days or weeks for some, I'm kind of glad it shifted.

Milford(?) with 38"?

I think that one is suspect but we're going to hear that one in the media like we heard about that gust at BOS last night.  Not many people have rulers that go over 36" and this is a public report...no affiliation so we have no idea where they were measuring.

Bottomline though, it's going to be tough to get good measurements with this in some places.

Going to have to hand it to the Nam/Euro for hitting this one, GFS was a miserable failure but this one was not its game

EE rule of old

Return of the King: Euro is in a league of it's own, had this days before other models

NAM fine-tuned the details within 36 hours and was dead on with the higher qpf

They're going to regret not having the national guard ready in some of these areas.

There's only one or two gas stations open in se ma in this area right now and they are about out of fuel. Power is still out to pilgrim nuclear they shut down automatically and are on generator power which hopefully continues to work!

I'd say about 10" here snowing light to moderate. Worst storm for power grid damage I've ever seen here.

The further north stall set a record for Portland which is cool. Snow sports needed the snow up there bad. Given the power situation here and what may be days or weeks for some, I'm kind of glad it shifted.

Power still on here.  Not sure how. Looks like an F5 came through.

Getting power back will be a big issue Anyone with electric heat and no generator w/fuel will not be able to stay in their house. This isnt August or even October

Still getting decent snows with this band rotting overheard. Probably over 2' but no real way to measure here.

Going to have to hand it to the Nam/Euro for hitting this one, GFS was a miserable failure but this one was not its game

I started archiving runs of the GFS a few days prior to this so it should be interesting to review.  I'm still not convinced that the NAM or ECMWF "nailed" this.  The axis of max precip was off but a lot of the dynamics were correct so I guess it's how you weigh everything.  It's all just guidance.

Yup, still going strong. I'm watching the wind blow this snow like dust devils. Higher gusts bring vis down to zero. Having some French toast and then it's out for picture-taking.

The wind has been a major factor here sustained in the low 30's with max gust of 45 mph

Archived