• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013

dryslot

I went to bed too. Got to see heavy snow this morning and it is still ccoming down good right now. I saw one report of already having 24".

If I measured every 6 hours with a snowboard I'd probably be very close. Eclipsed Jan. 2011 here. Forget what we got in 2005 but I think this is either close or just a bit more.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly model guidance focused too much on the surface low pressure and tied the upper levels to that. It was very evident from satellite and radar that upper levels were farther west than modeled.

It was pretty clear on WV last night as it was swinging up into the GOM

From my point of view.........Mr Werbner lost much respect when he referred to the emergency as "winter storm Nemo"

My wife works at Yale-New Haven hospital. She slept there last night...but the majority of day shifters not able to get in this morning...so much of the night shift crew is still on. Rt-34 is apparently closed. 

I was able to force my way out the front door to get my final measurements. 27.5"...current snow depth around 21". Unbelievable to think had we not had that convective graupel/hail that Ryan talked about for a few hours last night we easily would've eclipsed 30"

Keep in mind there is almost no gas in this region right now.

You asked...maybe 10-12" here. Lots of tree damage.

Are we allowed back on the roads?

Rollo you close to the coastline? Any coastal flooding obs with the 10am high tide?

TWC focusing on Scituate down to Plymouth, and I'm sure you heard about the voluntary evac in Hull

Pretty much tracked underneath you

Too close but good for you! Oceanwx hit it on the head. Roger smith posted that satellite in the middle or the night: the surface low was near the BM. But the mid levels were further west and that's where the gfs failed. Nam wasn't terribly better it just overforecasts qpf so much all the time people think it nailed it.

Euro was hands down the best. Not perfect but as close as you'll get. Only thing it struggled with at 24-48 hours was the stall point. Great otherwise.

Plows haven't been around here since 10pm last night...so about 10" of snow on the roads. Snow banks at the end of the driveway at least 3'...probably will be 4' by the time the plows get through. Not sure when I'll be able to get out of the driveway. Neighbor across the street recently bought a plow...wondering if its gonna be too much to handle. 

Rollo you close to the coastline? Any coastal flooding obs with the 10am high tide?

TWC focusing on Scituate down to Plymouth, and I'm sure you heard about the voluntary evac in Hull

Yeah going to walk up there now but based on the wind won't be bad. Probably worse out towards sandwich and east. This area didnt really even flood in 78.

My relatives left hull overnight. Not good.

Archived