amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Disco/Nowcast/Observations for SWFE on Monday/Tuesday Snow to ice

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah about 1.5-2. It's impossible to get a good meaurement because either there was snowpack previously or people were walking where it snowed or something. 

Or the BBQ sauce smelling **** they spead all over campus is melting whatever falls lol.

I'm gonna call you by your first name here on out, I feel bad calling you by your tag name. I'm George btw. 2011 PSU grad. UML 2013.

Snowing pretty hard here in downtown Boston. About to leave for the train back west. Flakes look like they are starting to aggregate now. You can tell where all the salt was....the side road is mostly wet with accumulation in spots and the sidewalk area at downtown crossing where they don't allow the cars on Summer St/Washington St is totally covered.

For all the joking about sun angles, road temps plummeted as soon as it got dark.  Now they're covered in this snot that's falling (here)

I drove home from UConn at 3:30 and there was a car ahead of me which slid off the road and into a ditch.

Unless the roads are heavily traveled, they're like banana peels. 

What is the infrared thing you mentioned?

But yeah, roads really respond to solar well.  

They also have a lot of salt on them right now from the weenie events (esp the more traveled roads). We haven't had a good chance to rinse it off, though Wednesday night should give the roads a good washing.

They also have a lot of salt on them right now from the weenie events (esp the more traveled roads). We haven't had a good chance to rinse it off, though Wednesday night should give the roads a good washing.

The salt clouds thrown up yesterday and this morning were some of the worst I can recall. We could use a bath. My dark gray car is almost white. Blizz would not be pleased

Back to moderate snow.  Some decent echoes NW of here.

We had another burst of moderate snow with good growth, but seemed to be aggregates, whereas earlier under the band I thought were dendrites.  I'm not very good at examining them however, maybe a met knows this.  

When you plot the doppler spectrum of a vertically pointing with a radar you can see a widened or even a bimodal signature with aggegates and mixed precip.  Dendrites have a very narrow spectral width.  Unfortunately the UMass radar was not on earlier.

it is absolutely winter bliss out there in Ayer.  We had 1/4 vis burst the left 1.25" on top of the 1 inch, so nearing 2.5" and it's snowing with tiny plates.  Bluish tint to the air as the sky gradually takes on the butterscotch tone of a winter storm at night.  

It sucks beyond the dreams of black holes that it will all be blown away in 2 days, but it is sure something for the duration at hand.   Just beautiful.   

Good burst of moderate to heavy snow (Saranac Lake showing +SN 1/4sm) moving into central VT... tracking towards central/southern NH (New Hampshire, not HVN).  This could be a nice 1/2-1" burst for Dendrite's area and you NH posters.

Keep inching them towards those advisory levels. ;)

Pouring flakes out there right now in Portland. Eyeballing the tire tracks and footprints outside I would say we're nearing an inch. Roads don't look great judging by the traffic lined up down Commercial St.

Archived