• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

Just in time for the Ice Trail to open on Lake Morey and more importantly for the Pond Hockey Championship this upcoming weekend!!  You can watch the crews getting the ice ready for the tournament here:    http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcam

Yeah, I've been watching them on the cam, working away, for the past week or more.

I love the time lapse video feature. Yesterday's is pretty funny with all the four-wheeler activity, the skaters and the brief squall.

It makes it extra-cool that the cam is pointed right at my family's place right now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting that radar, J.Spin.  I had 1/4" of arctic dust on my car this morning, and there's a fresh 0.5-0.7" at 1,500ft overnight.  Went in the books as a dusting to 1" last night, as I've been around long enough to know if there's over half an inch down here, there's probably at least an inch a couple thousand feet overhead. 

Really dry but dense stuff.  Like the snow that falls in horrific snow growth arctic cold.  Needles and other very tiny flakes.

I love the BTV mesonet page for Mansfield... I've already seen if that Froude number is 1.0 or higher, this side and down into town will do nicely as the precip is able to make it over.  If its like 0.7-1.0" we are probably on the eastern edge of the precipitation... and under 0.7 we really don't stand a chance as that's all west slope and eastern Champlain Valley.

Pretty cool stuff. 

scott-

where are u getting your frounde numbers?

scott-

where are u getting your frounde numbers?

I have no idea where to get the forecast Froude numbers... but as it starts snowing, I generally just watch this page...  The bottom of the Mansfield mesonet page has it.  And it also spells it out if you click on the question mark.  Muccilli and crew over at BTV are really killing it with this stuff.  Awesome to see the amount of focus they have lately on mountain weather.  But I agree (as the opening paragraph of the Froude number study says), locally here it can be something that no one except the ski areas notice, or it can lead to events that close the busiest stretch of Interstate in Vermont between Burlington and Montpelier.  There are so many rough commutes on I-89 due to upslope snow that its worth trying to nail it down.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/mountain/profile/

"The Froude Number represents the flow of air when it comes in contact with a barrier, in Vermont's case, the Green Mountains. It is an estimation of whether the flow can make it over the mountains or not and is basically a ratio of the wind perpendicular to the mountain chain versus the atmospheric stability. Under northwesterly flow, if the Froude Number is low (< 1), or subcritical and blocked, the air will not make it over the mountain and the precipitation will back up and fall primarily along the spine of the Green Mountains and the western slopes. If it is very low (< 0.5), the precipitation will back further west into parts of the eastern Champlain Valley and the western slopes of the Green Mountains. If the Froude Number is high (> 1), or supercritical and unblocked, the air will flow freely over the mountains and deposit the heaviest precipitation on the east side. A Froude Number near 1 is critical and the heaviest precipitation will likely fall along the barrier."

That's pretty much what I've noticed in the past like two weeks already... Froude number over 1 and we get it in Stowe Village... 0.7-1.0 and we are on the eastern side of the snow band, getting blow over from the Spine with partly cloudy skies directly overhead, and under 0.7 the ski resort is on the eastern edge of the snow with clear skies in town.  Under 0.5 and the snow band is in like Williston/Richmond/Essex/Jerhico, etc.  Something like 0.3 and its probably snowing hard in Burlington, haha.

1.8" so far with this one.  Looks like it's tapering off though as I can see stars above the falling snow.

Then again, I could see the moon last night while it was snowing too....

Should make for a splendid sunrise--pics to follow if I see something nice on my way out this morning.

Nice!

Only two tenths in Stowe Village... and *maybe* a half inch dusting at 1,550ft.  Snowing lightly but its hard to call it snow...its like diamond dust mixed with freezing fog.  Or the 5 degree equivilent of mist.  It is accumulating slowly, but you can't really see the flakes themselves...its like someone tossed glitter into the air.

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.03” L.E.

There was half an inch of snow on the snowboard this morning.  Water content, was 6.0% H2O, and it seemed like the flakes had been fairly small.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.7

Snow Density: 6.0% H2O

Temperature: 5.7 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

1.8" so far with this one.  Looks like it's tapering off though as I can see stars above the falling snow.

Then again, I could see the moon last night while it was snowing too....

Should make for a splendid sunrise--pics to follow if I see something nice on my way out this morning.

2" on the dot at my house.  A little bit more than I expected as I could see the moon through the snow as well last night and figured it was about finished by the time I went to bed at 11:30.  Less down here in Montpelier.  As for temps, 3.8° when I got up at 6:15, 1.7° when I left at 7:15.

2" on the dot at my house.  A little bit more than I expected as I could see the moon through the snow as well last night and figured it was about finished by the time I went to bed at 11:30.  Less down here in Montpelier.  As for temps, 3.8° when I got up at 6:15, 1.7° when I left at 7:15.

Moon/star snow is always cool in my book.

And yeah, temp was dropping at home too--6F when I got up at 5am and 3F when I left at 7am.  A balmy 12F when I got into Hanover.

The top 5 are the stations to watch over the next couple days...............

000NOUS41 KCAR 221353PNSCARPUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME845 AM EST TUE JAN 22 2013...A BITTERLY COLD MORNING ACROSS NORTHERN MAINE......MINIMUM TEMPERATURES IN THE PAST 6 HOURS......LOCATION...                             ...TIME...      ...MIN......AROOSTOOK COUNTY...BIG BLACK RIVER (885 FT)(GOES)             700 AM JAN 22       -37 FESTCOURT STATION MAWS (724 FT)(GOES)       730 AM JAN 22       -35 FNINE MILE BRIDGE (931 FT)(GOES)            700 AM JAN 22       -33 FDICKEY (590 FT)(GOES)                      700 AM JAN 22       -29 F1 NW CLAYTON LAKE (1030 FT)(AWOS)          725 AM JAN 22       -29 FNORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL AIRPORT (AWOS)     535 AM JAN 22       -24 FMADAWASKA (503 FT)(AWS)                    705 AM JAN 22       -23 F2 W SAINT AGATHA (825 FT)(APRSWXNET)       800 AM JAN 22       -23 F4 E NEW SWEDEN (680 FT)(APRSWXNET)         619 AM JAN 22       -20 F1 NE CARIBOU (544 FT)(APRSWXNET)           647 AM JAN 22       -19 F1 NW PRESQUE ISLE (540 FT)(APRSWXNET)      627 AM JAN 22       -19 F1 NW PRESQUE ISLE (540 FT)(AIRNOW)         600 AM JAN 22       -17 FNORTHERN AROOSTOOK REGIONAL AIRPORT        753 AM JAN 22       -17 FHOULTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (ASOS)       653 AM JAN 22       -17 FCARIBOU, ME (624 FT)(ASOS)                 454 AM JAN 22       -16 F1 ENE PRESQUE ISLE (649 FT)(APRSWXNET)     720 AM JAN 22       -16 F3 NW MONTICELLO (574 FT)(APRSWXNET)        650 AM JAN 22       -15 F5 SE WINTERVILLE (1186 FT)(MEDOT)          514 AM JAN 22       -13 F2 SSW ASHLAND (6030 FT)(AIRNOW)            500 AM JAN 22       -13 F5 NE MARS HILL (633 FT)(APRSWXNET)         747 AM JAN 22       -12 F1 W LITTLETON (188 FT)(APRSWXNET)          656 AM JAN 22        -8 F

Yeah, I've been watching them on the cam, working away, for the past week or more.

I love the time lapse video feature. Yesterday's is pretty funny with all the four-wheeler activity, the skaters and the brief squall.

It makes it extra-cool that the cam is pointed right at my family's place right now.

Absolutely...today is a great day to watch the cam and tomorrow the time lapse, as they are right in front making all the rinks!!

1.3" this morning when I left, my Boston friends were not impressed I ended up with more up here after what happened down there...lol.

Just a dusting in AUG, and "50 flakes" at home. 12z gfs pretty dry (and cold) over the next week plus. Hope the D9 rainstorm is mistaken, as going "suppressed, suppressed, inland runner, suppressed" would be discouraging.

Big Black at -37 this morning, nice! I'd be surprised if they (and Estcourt Station) didn't show some -40s this week.

The "unleash the hounds" front came through St. J about 30 to 45 minutes ago.  There were a few gusts and a light flurry.  Peak gust of 25mph was at 3:41.   Down to 9.5 now off of a high of 15.  "Wind Chill"- (I hate that phrase) is -20.

http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/CurrentConditions

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=16#

post-1533-0-21098300-1358893429_thumb.pn

Down to 13.6F off of a high of 21F. Had 2.1" of snow last night from 0.08" liquid. It was probably 3/4-1SM when I left the house around 630a. The snow quickly tapered off between exits 18-17. Concord didn't have too much and my mom in Hooksett said they had a dusting.

Will probably get a bit below zero the next few nights with some highs near 10F the next 2 days. It'll be damn cold, but nothing epic IMO. I take notice when temps between H9-H95 get colder than -25C with a 1040-1045mb high oozing in.

1/4" just now with a snow squall.  Looks like boring weather ahead after a couple of days of cold.  My coldest winter days are highs around 0F.  Point and click has me at around 7F tomorrow.   

By the way just bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  Love the giant 5.5" screen.  Makes looking at models graphics, radar etc. on the fly really easy. Big screens are the way to go for weather data!

Temp approached -20 here about 5 AM.  Then the wind stirred things up and bumped the temp to a balmy -10.  CAR's forecast for NW Maine today is a high -11 to -13 (zone 1/zone 3) with strong winds and flurries.  No all time records, but we only saw high temps in the double digits below zero every 3 yr or so when I lived up there, so solid bottom of winter temps.

-2°F this morning.

Interesting ride home from work Tuesday afternoon. Going north on I-295 near Freeport and a heavy snow squall came through. Instant white-out! Snow slicked roads, can't see a damn thing, cars going off the road. Once I got to the connector to Rte. 1 to Brunswick, it stopped. No idea how much snow fell in that area, but it seemed like a good 1/2" to 1" in a very short period of time. Once I arrived home, I measured .50" from a snow squall that had gone through, according to my wife. She said that it snowed so hard, that she couldn't see the sumacs at the edge of the cove (about 100' away).

-2°F this morning.

Interesting ride home from work Tuesday afternoon. Going north on I-295 near Freeport and a heavy snow squall came through. Instant white-out! Snow slicked roads, can't see a damn thing, cars going off the road. Once I got to the connector to Rte. 1 to Brunswick, it stopped. No idea how much snow fell in that area, but it seemed like a good 1/2" to 1" in a very short period of time. Once I arrived home, I measured .50" from a snow squall that had gone through, according to my wife. She said that it snowed so hard, that she couldn't see the sumacs at the edge of the cove (about 100' away).

I was in Portland and could see those dark clouds off to the north. Looked like a thunderstorm. Nada where I was.

Disheartening AFD from GYX this morning: frigid and mostly dry for the rest of this week, with above-normal temps and possible rain in southern zones early next week. I was frankly a little surprised to see them going so bullish on a torch this far out given the mixed signals; my point-and-click has a high of 38 for next Tuesday. Hopefully any thaw will be short-lived. Unlike some of our brethren to the south, I like it cold in the winter even if we're not having a KU every couple days.

Archived