joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eventually crept down to about -4 early this morning. The temp didn't exactly plummet last night. It's amazing what a difference being near the coast makes, even with little/no wind and a decent snowpack.

Looking back at Portland climate data, it's hard to imagine what types of patterns had to be in place to achieve some of those record lows: -21 for December, -26 for January, -39 for Feb. (which is also the all-time record). Interestingly, all of the 17 coldest readings on record occurred prior to 1981. In the 8+ years that I've been here, I've only seen a handful of sub-zero readings and don't think I've seen any double-digit negative numbers.

Geez, that's an ugly cutter and two or so day torch on the gfs for next week....yuck. Looks pretty good after that, though.

I'll have to try that boiling water trick, mreaves...I thought it needed to be colder than this.

As in more cold and dry? This pattern sucks. Then we'll probably have another cutter the week after. Wash, rinse, repeat. Yes, I'm getting bitter.

Eventually crept down to about -4 early this morning. The temp didn't exactly plummet last night. It's amazing what a difference being near the coast makes, even with little/no wind and a decent snowpack.

Looking back at Portland climate data, it's hard to imagine what types of patterns had to be in place to achieve some of those record lows: -21 for December, -26 for January, -39 for Feb. (which is also the all-time record). Interestingly, all of the 17 coldest readings on record occurred prior to 1981. In the 8+ years that I've been here, I've only seen a handful of sub-zero readings and don't think I've seen any double-digit negative numbers.

That -39 is my choice for the most anomalous temp reading I've seen for anywhere in the northeast.  PWM's climo for 2/16 was about 24 in 1943, something like 34/14, which would make the low temp 53F below the avg, the mean -40.  It was certainly a huge, though fairly short, arctic blast; CON hit -37 for their all time low, and NYC touched -8, their 3rd lowest ever.  1942-43 was a cold winter, so I'm guessing the Fore River (right next to PWM's instruments) was thickly iced over by mid-Feb, mitigating against the saltwater influence, but PWM colder than CON is still strange for a winter morning.

2/-14 yest at my place, with an aft high of -3.  It was -15 when I left the house this morning, cold enough that the state Prius I was using decided to quit 1/3 the way to work, resulting in some cold walking for this non-possesser a of cellphone.

Powder freak are you below your snowfall pace last year. At home or mtn snowboard. Seems like mansfield is way below ave snowfall for jan, but haven't been following

Yeah we are below normal for January...but the first week of the month was decent.  We had that 3 week stretch starting December 16th when I measured 85" at 3,000ft snow board. 

As far as I can tell, we are currently on pace for slightly below normal snowfall in town and at the mountain.  We are still doing much better than last year, IMO, but that might just be also because of the cold temps so it feels more like winter than last year.  We ended with 210" last year at 3kft and this year we are already at 135"... so February/March/April would have to absolutely blow for us to end up with less than 210" up at that location.  I mean, we should be able to get 85" quite easily in that amount of time, but then again with current weather patterns, I guess nothing would surprise me.

Down in town, I'm at around 50" of snowfall (I think jvt24 is a little ahead of me), and last season was 86".... so I'm hopeful as we should be able to get more than 36" in Feb/March/April in town.  That should be no problem, but again, nothing would surprise me given the recent winters.  We could get that much in one synoptic/upslope combo storm, so who knows.

We were getting some impressive gusts at the mountain today... generally sustained at 40-50mph and gusting 60mph.

Lots of snow was being transported around the mountain.  It always impresses me when the wind gets strong enough to toss snow from the surface or in the trees, hundreds of feet in the air.  These giant plumes were moving all around the mountain all afternoon.

Saw a couple huge gusts transporting large amounts of snow off the Nose/Maple Ridge area from down in town... just huge plumes of snow at times (much larger than this one pictured below).

thanks for the response powder, its just sooo dryy.  euro had a nice day 7 look to it for the upslopedy slope . sure that wont change upteen times.

seemed weird to see a 984 low try and redevelop under us with a 1009high pressure N of us. but who knows.  NAO progs show mostly neutral BUT the Nao west maps look like decent west based block. not sure if it's a classic west based block but the euro ens show it to be a -2.0 West based NAO for the 28'th.  

I have no idea how LCI can be reporting 6mph wind right now.  Just got back from the Gilford Hannaford and the parking lot was madness with snow blowing in from Paugus Bay and salt dust being kicked up from Lowes' parking lot.  Just had a gust to 41 mph now that the wind is coming mostly from the west.  10 min average is 26mph

Good weather for the lake ice, that's for sure. 

Yes it sure is!!  Although a bit "milder" today than I thought at 9F, obviously plenty cold to keep making ice out there.  Really lucked out this year with this cold snap coming and temps staying cold throughout the weekend as well.  Although I won't lie I wouldn't mind temps bumping up to 20 or so while I stand there officiating for 8 hours...LOL.

I have no idea how LCI can be reporting 6mph wind right now.  Just got back from the Gilford Hannaford and the parking lot was madness with snow blowing in from Paugus Bay and salt dust being kicked up from Lowes' parking lot.  Just had a gust to 41 mph now that the wind is coming mostly from the west.  10 min average is 26mph

Nice little shot of low level cold tonight. The wind is pretty loud here too even though I'm not recording anything over 25mph.

Archived