Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

>

With the pattern change underway and the old thread well over 30 pages, I thought I would try my hand at starting a new thread.  As my foot  of powder has become 3 inches of impenetrable crystalized hard pack, I await a freshening of snow.  Hopefully tomorrow can bring a surprise 2 or 3 inches to get things started.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks interesting for NNH and ME.. Never seen these products until today.  Copying post from storm thread.

OceanStWx, on 15 Jan 2013 - 15:00, said:snapback.png

SREF_XPROB_DEND_100__f030.gif

09z

SREF_XPROB_DEND_100__f024.gif

15z

Interesting signal to the north of the weenie band. Despite being farther from the forcing, there is a high probability of a large DGZ. This leads to enhanced snow ratios. Fluff factor could keep the sharp NW cutoff from being a reality.

With the pattern change underway and the old thread well over 30 pages, I thought I would try my hand at starting a new thread.  As my foot  of powder has become 3 inches of impenetrable crystalized hard pack, I await a freshening of snow.  Hopefully tomorrow can bring a surprise 2 or 3 inches to get things started.

Very striking image on your post that finished thread #2. "Mare's tails and mackerel scales make tall ships carry low sails." Classic mackerel, though probably no strong storm to follow. However, 2-4" is fine, refreshing the snowcover so Thursday night's radiational cooling can work its magic.

liking my area over toward dryslot for 4-6". I like the GYX map. The H85-H7 lift will move in toward late morning and the midlevel moisture tail should hang back over us into the early evening. It should be a nice recovery from Monday's massacre.

i am thinking the same thing for down near CON as well. i am a bit west, so prob 4" imby

PF: where on the BTV site is that map? All I see under the regular snowfall map section is "no significant snowfall expected"

Here's the GYX map

They post most of that stuff on their Facebook page. No idea where or if its on their site but its on their FB news feed. They are quite active in social media.

This evening was good timing for a snowpack water content analysis, since CoCoRaHS wants them on Wednesdays, the pack seems to have settled down now after the recent warmth, and some snow may be coming tomorrow.  Anyway, tonight’s analysis revealed that there’s currently 1.06” of liquid in the snowpack, so a bit over an inch of liquid was lost since my last analysis one week ago.

Looks like a nice intense band moving onto the coast near Popham Beach. Dropped the Jetport to 1/4SM +SN for a time, 0.10" liquid in that hour too. 1"/hr type stuff.

Great! Unfortunately, I'm not at home to enjoy it. Locked in an office building until afternoon. Commute home this afternoon may be a headache. Never-the-less, thank you for the great work that you and your team do for us.

:weenie:

Just stepping into the short term now, but the trends look nice for a little surprise high end advisory. Loop the radar and check out the elements moving NW off the water. You got a little inverted trough running up into the coast from near Cape Cod.

Been watching that on Radarlab, Can see it just SE of Portland

acsnw_t3sfc_f15.png

HRRR seems to be on that inverted trough idea too. Really hangs the precip back along the coast all day. Some weenie jackpots of 6-8" in there.

The GFS picked up on that yesterday on a couple runs up here, It was the only  model that showed that trough look

post-1154-0-00875500-1358343826_thumb.pn

Archived