joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like SN+ at home via my live wxcam. Can't see the island so visibility is less than 1/4 mile. Here is the link to the live feed. Please limit viewing to 3 minutes or less. Updates about evey second or so. http://www.bathmaineweather.com/wxwebcam.php

Here in Portland, SN-.

Looks like some nice sized flakes too.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Tried to capture the banding going on as best as I could. Enhanced QPF along the east slopes of the mountains, and have the impressive banding going on along the coast left over from previous forecasts. I suspect there will be a little sucker hole in snow totals for the interior Midcoast just S of WVL but too early to slash away at totals now.

Snowfall here in Burlington has been a lot more robust that I thought it would be based on the forecast.  There’s been steady snow falling out there comprised of pretty large flakes, some up to ¾” in diameter.  I did a quick check outside and accumulation was right at an inch as of 1:30 P.M.  It seems like the BTV forecast discussion speaks to this observation a bit:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 1211 PM EST WEDNESDAY...MODERATE SNOW CONTINUES TO FALL ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY THIS AFTERNOON WITH AN UNEXPECTED BAND FORMING NORTH OF THIS MORNINGS MAIN PRECIPITATION SHIELD...NOW LOCATED ACROSS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL PORTIONS OF VERMONT AND NEW YORK. ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN VERMONT STILL ON TRACK FROM THIS MORNING WITH TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 2-3" EXPECTED BY THIS EVENING...AND NOW LOOKING AT A DUSTING TO 2 INCHES ACROSS NORTHERN VERMONT AND NEW YORK AS WELL. HAVE A GREAT AFTERNOON.

The temperature report from Montpelier (which I assume is from Knapp airport) has been totally screwed up since last night. Keeps jumping from the mid 30's to lower 40's from hour to hour. The actual temperature has been a steady 27-28 degrees for the last 12 hours.

Even if it's an automated report you'd think they would have caught and fixed this by now.

Tried to capture the banding going on as best as I could. Enhanced QPF along the east slopes of the mountains, and have the impressive banding going on along the coast left over from previous forecasts. I suspect there will be a little sucker hole in snow totals for the interior Midcoast just S of WVL but too early to slash away at totals now.

Unless AUG gets into at least moderate snow, that's where the sucker hole will be.  Grass is still sticking out of the snow in places, and it looks like we're still shy of 2" here.  Much nicer looking than it was yesterday, however.  :)

The temperature report from Montpelier (which I assume is from Knapp airport) has been totally screwed up since last night. Keeps jumping from the mid 30's to lower 40's from hour to hour. The actual temperature has been a steady 27-28 degrees for the last 12 hours.

Even if it's an automated report you'd think they would have caught and fixed this by now.

I saw that too.  I saw a 34 there this morning when everyone else was in the mid/upper 20s.  They had issues at the Springfield, VT airport regarding temps recently too.

Looks like things should be winding down in the next few minutes, just in time for the evening drive.

Eventually it'll do the same here but for now, this band just doesn't want to quit.

Bet we'll end up with 4"ish out at the house.  Probably close to that now here at work, deep in the valley.

Yeah I think the front looks like a quick 1-3" type event depending on how much orographics get involved. Could probably double today's snowfall by 11am tomorrow.

Ended up with nearly 2" here. Hard to say exactly (1.75-2) because the huge dendrites have left a very lumpy surface on the snow board...definitely a solid quarter inch variance on the surface.

Archived