joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.75" total here at the house. Sure glad we got something. Looks like mid-winter out there again.

Well, after reporting a 47° reading at 5pm they finally took the Montpelier thermometer off line. Trouble is the wind chill now shows -13°. Guess they're getting tomorrow nights readings out early...lol

Yeah...there's been temp issues there all day. There's no temp obs now so there should be no wind chill obs either. I'm guessing the site where you get data is using no temp as a temp of 0F.

I'd assume they get it fixed in the next day or so. MPV is a fairly important climo station.

2.75" total here at the house. Sure glad we got something. Looks like mid-winter out there again.

l

Yeah very happy to have the snowbanks white along with the trees. The 2" here went a long way towards freshening up the old snow. Depth here is just over 6.5" and that bottom 5" is as rock hard as snow can possibly get.

Yeah...there's been temp issues there all day. There's no temp obs now so there should be no wind chill obs either. I'm guessing the site where you get data is using no temp as a temp of 0F.

I'd assume they get it fixed in the next day or so. MPV is a fairly important climo station.

Yeah, I'm showing 0° here I see. The page I use for hourly observations for the past 3 days is here: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KMPV.html

You can see when the thermometer started going haywire...and where I got the bogus windchill report.

just catching up on the thread

we lost all of our snow in st albans to burlington vermont corridor during the thaw. only some snow piles remained.

i finally took the drive back to ottawa yesterday for the first time this winter. no snow at the border, and very little S of montreal. as i drove into S burbs and downtown montreal, there was a covering with some open patches. as i headed west to the West island, coverage and depth increased dramatically and i could see how the airport near dorval had such a large snowfall a couple weeks back, because the coverage and depth was solid even along the highway. then it got dark between montreal and ottawa lol. but there was a solid snowpack all the way.

as i pulled into ottawa, i was shocked at the amount of snow still on the ground despite the recent 4 day thaw. basically 95% + coverage except where snow gets windblown and doesnt pile up well. otherwise looks about a foot + of solid glacier on the ground, and driveway piles topping out to 5 feet in spots. i can only imagine how much snow was on the ground before the thaw! my dad tells me that at least 50% of the snow melted, probably closder to 2/3rds!!

ill post up some pics tomorrow after a day walk....defintely was not expecting to see a mid winters scene after the snow got blasted away in northern vermont.

just catching up on the thread

we lost all of our snow in st albans to burlington vermont corridor during the thaw. only some snow piles remained.

ill post up some pics tomorrow after a day walk....defintely was not expecting to see a mid winters scene after the snow got blasted away in northern vermont.

Ahhhh life in the Champlain Valley during winter. Not really a snowpack area. I'm pretty sure everyone east of the Spine kept their snow cover, and even some spots survived with double digit snowpack like you found in Ottawa.

It was always startling to me how fast the CPV can lose snow, especially Vergennes-BTV-St Albans corridor and the islands.

Ahhhh life in the Champlain Valley during winter. Not really a snowpack area. I'm pretty sure everyone east of the Spine kept their snow cover, and even some spots survived with double digit snowpack like you found in Ottawa.

It was always startling to me how fast the CPV can lose snow, especially Vergennes-BTV-St Albans corridor and the islands.

you can add the southern Champlain Valley to the list of places with rapid snow melt. We lost 15 inches of snow from Friday to Monday. But it's usually not because we're buffered by the lake, but that we are vulnerable to warm southerly flow.

I've lived in Orwell since 04 and found that on occasion we are 10-15 degrees colder than towns along the northern half of Champlain (where the width of the lake allows true buffering) and towns along the base of the Greens (Moddlebury on souh to Rutland). My theory is that those spots often experience mixing of winds, which then push the coldest air to the lowest places, which would include Shoreham, Orwell, and Benson.

So much microclimate for such a small state.

you can add the southern Champlain Valley to the list of places with rapid snow melt. We lost 15 inches of snow from Friday to Monday. But it's usually not because we're buffered by the lake, but that we are vulnerable to warm southerly flow.

Yeah it's definitely due to southerly flow exposure. In fact, the way the terrain funnels air northward between the Dacks and Greens, you actually get south winds that are accelerating/enhanced. I lived in BTV for 6 winters and Jonesville/Richmond for one, and any spot west of the Spine is really prone to full mid-winter melt outs. Oftentimes you'd see snow reappear around JSpins area and that was sort of the mouth to eastern VT in the I89 corridor.

yeah im finding out that snow melts very quickly here.....deifnitley not a snowpack area.

yeah im finding out that snow melts very quickly here.....deifnitley not a snowpack area.

Hope life in St. Albans is treating you well. Looks like you may be in for quite the shot of arctic air tonight.

Did you know that St. Albans played a role in American and Canadian history? There was a bank robbery there in the Civil War by Confederate agents who proceeded to flee to Montreal.

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.08” L.E.

Today’s snow was the first in nine days, which is definitely a long spell for around here.  It sounds like there’s the potential for some additional accumulation tonight with the arctic frontal passage.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Hope life in St. Albans is treating you well. Looks like you may be in for quite the shot of arctic air tonight.

Did you know that St. Albans played a role in American and Canadian history? There was a bank robbery there in the Civil War by Confederate agents who proceeded to flee to Montreal.

It was the furthest north action of the Civil War.

Archived