• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread III

klw

It generally gets disrupted by the mountains, but occasionally a piece breaks off and survives the trek. Where, is hard to say, but we'll know shortly when it hits IZG.

Can see that happening now on radar as some of that line is falling apart as it moves over the mtns into the foothill region

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea what the southern White Mountains (NH) might get with these squalls?

If you're talking Thornton, it should be right on the doorstep. How strong it will be is a different story, radar doesn't perform well in that area. But gusty winds and a nice temp drop is in store aside from snow.

Those weekend waves are progged to track further south a week ago. But over the last few days the models have been consistent, keeping those waves just to our north.  The event on sunday does look like a pretty classic 2-4, 3-5 type event. The front sparks some snow showers as it moves through and the back flow keeps it all going through the day.  Obviously I'd like to see it track over the greens and make a pow, but we'll just build back with what we get slowly but surely. 

Awesome!  Watching the snow accumulate at home while at work.  Now that's solid.

What's the triangle block for?  I'm assuming that one is painted in 2" increments while the other one is 1"?

Yep, you got it, the tiny one (piece of a porch post I believe) has 1” increments alternating in black and white, and the triangle block is a piece of leftover pressure treated wood with 2” increments alternating in brown and white.  I’ve got a couple of those and I’ll place them in different spots to corroborate the measurements.  I also have one more made on a scrap piece of pressure treated 4 x 4 that has 3” increments and goes up to about a foot – that’s good if we’re going to be out of town and a larger storm is coming etc.

I had been using the web cam on my wife’s computer for a couple of years when we would travel, but that’s been a bit finicky lately (and it’s a hassle moving the entire computer around), so I bought a Dropcam.  They’re indoor cams, but for only about $150, you’ve got real time HD video of whatever you want (with sound, but I have that turned off since I don’t need it for snowfall observations).  It’s super simple to set up (it’s basically a camera with a AC plug on the end) and it connects to the wireless network in your house.  But yeah, aside from being able to monitor accumulations (during travel, storms where the snow may melt before I have time to measure, etc.), it’s also kind of nice to be able to pop open a window with HD video of the snow falling at the house.  I don’t have a smart phone or tablet or anything, but you can also watch it on those.  Today I was just sort of curious how things would go with the frontal passage, so I hooked it up.

Nice SPS OceanSt...pretty much spot on with what happened here. Brief 1/4sm +SN and 30-35mph gusts with right around an inch of snow in town at 750ft.

Roads are quite slick here with dropping temps. Looks like the initial snow was melting on the treated roads but now that's freezing up as it drops.

Nice SPS OceanSt...pretty much spot on with what happened here. Brief 1/4sm +SN and 30-35mph gusts with right around an inch of snow in town at 750ft.

Roads are quite slick here with dropping temps. Looks like the initial snow was melting on the treated roads but now that's freezing up as it drops.

I'm not so much concerned with 1/4SM down here on the coastal plain, but with any snow crossing the interstate, melting, and re-freezing behind the front I wanted to have a statement out for motorists. I can't stop all the accidents, but maybe a couple people think twice before continuing along at highway speed.

I'm not so much concerned with 1/4SM down here on the coastal plain, but with any snow crossing the interstate, melting, and re-freezing behind the front I wanted to have a statement out for motorists. I can't stop all the accidents, but maybe a couple people think twice before continuing along at highway speed.

That is key, Its coming thru here now, -SN and winds have picked up here

Front through here.   No big deal.  Flurries and a brief snow squall giving a dusting.  Temp high was 33.4F.  Now 20 minutes later with brighting skies its 30F.

What was your total yesterday and YTD? I'm trying to keep track of both Plymouth State and my house this winter but I've been keeping track of Plymouth  from a distance since 12/21. I have them at 22.1". I'm sure your total is higher with elevation, but is it within 5-8"?

Pretty fractured at this point.

Yep, I think I saw a total of 3 lonely flakes by the time the remnants reached here. Temp doesn't seem to be dropping much either, although I have seen some of those upstream changes.

Pretty bummed about the pull-back from what was at one time billed as a true Arctic outbreak next week. A couple days ago it looked like teens for highs on MLK Day, and now the point-and-click has upper 20s here. I guess we'll have some cold nights before we moderate again, but nothing too remarkable. Hopefully the parade of rainstorms shown by the last couple GFS runs won't come to pass...

Looks like several chances for snow over the next 5 days or so...

Warm front lifts north on Friday night bringing light snow (BTV has 1-3" in the zone forecast), then cold front and CAA behind clipper system on Sunday looks pretty robust on the NAM, especially in the northern Adirondack and northern Green Mtn upslope zones. 

Brrrrr....

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MASSENA...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH...STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE...DANNEMORA...LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...OGDENSBURG...POTSDAM...GOUVERNEUR...ALBURGH...SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS...NEWPORT...ISLAND POND...BURLINGTON...JOHNSON...STOWE...ST. JOHNSBURY...MONTPELIER...MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES...BRADFORD...RANDOLPH...RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD...WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...ENOSBURG FALLS...RICHFORD...UNDERHILL...BRISTOL...RIPTON...EAST WALLINGFORD...KILLINGTON318 PM EST THU JAN 17 2013...VERY COLD TEMPERATURES EXPECTED TONIGHT...A MUCH COLDER AIR MASS CONTINUES TO OVERSPREAD THE NORTH COUNTRYFOLLOWING PASSAGE OF AN ARCTIC FRONT EARLIER TODAY. APPARENTTEMPERATURES WILL RANGE FROM 10 TO 20 BELOW ACROSS THE NORTHERNADIRONDACKS...ST. LAWRENCE VALLEY...AND NORTHEAST KINGDOM...ANDGENERALLY 5 TO 15 BELOW ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRYTONIGHT. APPARENT TEMPERATURE IS HOW IT FEELS ON EXPOSED SKIN WITHOR WITHOUT WIND. WINDS WILL BE NORTH AT 5 TO 10 MPH THISEVENING...THEN GENERALLY LESS THAN 5 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT.FOR THOSE VENTURING OUT TONIGHT OR FRIDAY MORNING...WEAR A WARMCOAT...GLOVES AND COVER YOUR HEAD TO PROTECT AGAINST FROSTBITE ANDHYPOTHERMIA. DRESSING IN LAYERS CAN ALSO HELP PROTECT YOU AGAINSTTHE COLD.

Yep, I think I saw a total of 3 lonely flakes by the time the remnants reached here. Temp doesn't seem to be dropping much either, although I have seen some of those upstream changes.

Pretty bummed about the pull-back from what was at one time billed as a true Arctic outbreak next week. A couple days ago it looked like teens for highs on MLK Day, and now the point-and-click has upper 20s here. I guess we'll have some cold nights before we moderate again, but nothing too remarkable. Hopefully the parade of rainstorms shown by the last couple GFS runs won't come to pass...

Huh? Are we in a different state. I thought some pretty frigid air was coming and holding till at least next weds. Other than what looks like a miss for the tuesday event (local mets were saying potential blizzard coulple days ago. ho hum), I thought it was high and dry. Any more rain and large warm ups would suck.

Huh? Are we in a different state. I thought some pretty frigid air was coming and holding till at least next weds. Other than what looks like a miss for the tuesday event (local mets were saying potential blizzard coulple days ago. ho hum), I thought it was high and dry. Any more rain and large warm ups would suck.

Well we when you live on the immediate coast near the warmer water i guess that's what you get for temps, I see high teens daytime and right around zero nights here over the next week after a brief couple of normal days sat-sun

What was your total yesterday and YTD? I'm trying to keep track of both Plymouth State and my house this winter but I've been keeping track of Plymouth  from a distance since 12/21. I have them at 22.1". I'm sure your total is higher with elevation, but is it within 5-8"?

Yesterday we had just under 3".  I was just up in Plymouth and it looks the same.  I have not been keeping a good seasonal tally since I have been out of town here and there, sorry!

Event totals: 1.6” Snow/0.05” L.E.

The density of the snow from today’s frontal passage was very similar to yesterday’s snow – both came in at a bit over 3% H2O.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 32.0

Snow Density: 3.1% H2O

Temperature: 10.9 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

Highs in the 20s in mid-January in Maine are seasonal -- even in my part of the state -- and that's nowhere close to frigid. Tuesday does look like a miss (although still plenty of time to change; just look at these last two systems), and then it looks like there's at least a possibility of one or two cutters starting about a week from now. I'm apppreciating the snow I have and will make the most of the conditions over the next few days, but I'm keeping my expectations low going forward.

Archived