• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

I'm not sure why you're running lower than the airport. Wind trajectory would be bringing air from central Lafayette toward you and this setup should favor colder readings the farther N/W you are. Eh, who knows?

Right, that's what I'm saying. I'm surrounded by a relative concrete jungle too. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an interesting story about what happened here early Sunday morning.

Around 2-3am a line of thundersnow moved through southern Ontario with the cold front. From what I heard...the temp ahead of the line was above freezing and when it arrived it plummeted below freezing with high winds and heavy snow and even reports of large hail similar to a severe thunderstorm with torrential rain. Woke up Sunday morning to about 2" and numerous large trees or tree branches knocked down. Apparently the lightning was intense with heavy low bass thunder. Environment Canada had a wind warning for 55mph+ winds issued for all counties in southwestern Ontario ahead of the line. Sad I missed it. 

Right, that's what I'm saying. I'm surrounded by a relative concrete jungle too.

Maybe your thermometer is wrong. :P

Another interesting thing about tonight...and beavis will appreciate this...is the rather homogenous temperature distribution in the Chicagoland area. Normally you'd expect the city locations to be much warmer but any radiational cooling advantage has really been mitigated up to this point at least with the winds staying up. Example: Aurora is 3 degrees and O'Hare and Midway are 5 degrees as of 11 PM.

Maybe your thermometer is wrong. :P

Another interesting thing about tonight...and beavis will appreciate this...is the rather homogenous temperature distribution in the Chicagoland area. Normally you'd expect the city locations to be much warmer but any radiational cooling advantage has really been mitigated up to this point at least with the winds staying up. Example: Aurora is 3 degrees and O'Hare and Midway are 5 degrees as of 11 PM.

It's possible. :lol:

And that is different. ARR is the radiating king of NE IL.

I remember them closing school back in the mid 90's for cold...  But yeah..it had to be really cold for them to cancel school back in the 90's...

Worst thing for me (high school) was PE (winter) and having a swimming course (our school had indoor pool)... Walking outside after class (last of the day) sucked...frozen hair!

Got to be cold for MKE...  L Mich not doing much to help out this morning:

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKSOHARE          PTCLDY    -1  -8  72 NW7       30.35R WCI -14MIDWAY         PTCLDY     1  -9  62 W9        30.36R WCI -14AURORA         CLEAR     -1  -9  68 W8        30.36R WCI -15LANSING*       CLEAR      1  -8  67 W8        30.36R WCI -13JOLIET*        CLEAR      0  -8  69 W5        30.37R WCI -10WAUKEGAN       CLEAR     -4 -13  65 W6        30.33R WCI -16DUPAGE AIRPORT PTCLDY    -1  -9  68 W8        30.34R WCI -15WHEELING       CLEAR     -2 -10  69 NW5       30.36R WCI -12KANKAKEE*      CLEAR      1  -7  69 W7        30.38R WCI -11MORRIS*        CLEAR      1  -5  75 W3        30.37RLEWIS AIRPORT* CLEAR      0  -6  73 W10       30.36R WCI -16NORTHERLY IS   NOT AVBL$$WIZ051-052-058>065-066-070>072-221500-SOUTHEAST WISCONSINCITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKSMILWAUKEE      PTCLDY    -5 -16  59 NW10      30.32R WCI -23KENOSHA*       CLEAR     -5 -13  68 W8        30.33R WCI -20RACINE*        CLEAR     -5 -15  62 W6        30.34R WCI -18BURLINGTON     CLEAR     -6 -13  71 W5        30.32R WCI -17WAUKESHA       CLEAR     -8 -15  71 W9        30.30R WCI -25

Metro Airport got down to -1 last night, and that was with passing lake stratus and a decent breeze.

Even City Airport got down to 1*F.

I don't know if it's the light snowcover or the airmass in general, but temps were a little colder than forecast last night despite that steady westerly breeze and partly to mostly cloudy skies. DTW's low of -1F was the first time below zero since Feb 11, 2011.

Looking like southern MI (I-94 again) may see some lake snow again tomorrow afternoon and evening...and then Friday stilll way up in the air, though at least some light snow is likely. Whether or not we get a noticeable 1 or 2 day thaw or not around the 29th remains to be seen, but on the whole, the extended looks cold and active. Don't want to jinx, but perhaps this is the beginning of our back-loaded winter.

Coldest temp since 2009

Hmm....are you sure? The -1 at DTW was coldest since Feb 11, 2011....but I would assume you are always colder than them on the coldest of nights, and DTW had a low of -5F on Feb 10, 2011. I suppose its not unheard of for them to be colder (maybe clear here, cloudy in northern burbs?), just wondering.

I don't know if it's the light snowcover or the airmass in general, but temps were a little colder than forecast last night despite that steady westerly breeze and partly to mostly cloudy skies. DTW's low of -1F was the first time below zero since Feb 11, 2011.

Looking like southern MI (I-94 again) may see some lake snow again tomorrow afternoon and evening...and then Friday stilll way up in the air, though at least some light snow is likely. Whether or not we get a noticeable 1 or 2 day thaw or not around the 29th remains to be seen, but on the whole, the extended looks cold and active. Don't want to jinx, but perhaps this is the beginning of our back-loaded winter.

This is a rare instance where Detroit is actually colder than Toronto. I'm at -12.6C right now, and you're at about -17C or 0F.

Archived