Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, right? I kissed my wife awhile ago and be both about got electrocuted.

I love winter and all, but those MN temps are a little much for me. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to receive the amount of snow that you get.

Now that's what I call "sparking a romance"! :lmao:

Down to 12F here in Toronto. West winds generally aren't good for bringing cold into this city. Too much moderation from the lake.

My thermometer just dipped below 0F for the first time in a long while: -0.4F is the current temp.  I was hoping some of the outlying areas in SE Wisconsin could make a run at -10F, and that looks doable for the likes of Waukesha, Sheboygan, Fon du Lac, etc.  Given our lax criteria for cold days seemingly, MPS may even close with this cold snap.  It happened back on Feb. 5-6, 2007 with pretty similar temps.  In fact, the second of those days featured wind chills of only -10 to -20F, yet they closed for the second straight day along with most other area districts.  Needless to say there was some disagreement, and some vocal parents about closing.  I agree that it seems a bit too lax, -25 or greater wind chills make sense, but when you're talking highs in the single digits with wind chills around -15, it is not necessary, though still bitterly cold clearly.

Closing schools for wind chills in the -10 to -20º range is weak sauce.

Granted I'm old, but that wasn't even a consideration back in my school days.

I know, I think they just got a bit lazy and said, well we closed it one day, so might as well tomorrow as well with a subzero low (even ignoring the lighter winds the next day).

Most schools are closed up here tomorrow and rightfully so with wind chills to -45 at times.

Yeah, but you live in Arctic. ;)

I know, I think they just got a bit lazy and said, well we closed it one day, so might as well tomorrow as well with a subzero low (even ignoring the lighter winds the next day).

Somewhat related, but the city schools around here are famous for a 2 hour delay for 0.2" of snow. Times have changed. 

6 here. Dropoff has been very slow, not surprising given wind and lack of snowcover. The positives are clear skies and lack of warm air advection.

5.5º on my thermometer. Just strange how I'm running a little ahead of the airport. Must be "more snow cover" on this side of town. ;)

+1° here now. -4° is the forecast.

Yeah I remember back when I was in high school in southern WI, school didn't close unless the temperature itself was -20° or below or if the WC was below -35°. Or if the buses wouldn't start!

Definitely different now.

For schools here in Kenosha to be cancelled, wind chill has to hit -34. I'd imagine though they might have a few snow days to bank....

Bottom line is that the administration doesn't want children walking to school or waiting for a bus to pick them up when the air temperature is at or below 0. The wind chill only solidifies their final decision to cancel. As of now, looks like school is on.

Archived