Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm....are you sure? The -1 at DTW was coldest since Feb 11, 2011....but I would assume you are always colder than them on the coldest of nights, and DTW had a low of -5F on Feb 10, 2011. I suppose its not unheard of for them to be colder (maybe clear here, cloudy in northern burbs?), just wondering.

-1 that Morning

50 is going to feel pretty nice after this stretch

But then it plummets right back down late next week.  What's the point of having pleasant weather if it's just going to make the next colder snap feel bad again.  If it's not going to snow, then I'd prefer less of a yo-yo pattern, because it's pointless to have if all the precip is going to come with the warm air.

1" futility ender? :whistle:  

9z SREF snow probs for tomorrow. Granted it isn't high chances, but some snow tomorrow is likely. Just thought it was interesting...

attachicon.gif1:22 9z SREF 39 hrs.gif

attachicon.gif1:22 9z SREF 42 hours.gif

Bring it on! :)

Had a low of -5.5° here this morning. Colder than anything last winter. This air mass would have easily hit -20° if there would have been at least 2+" on the ground with snow upstream.

We're looking at the models from Mexico now!

Bring it on! :)

Had a low of -5.5° here this morning. Colder than anything last winter. This air mass would have easily hit -20° if there would have been at least 2+" on the ground.

I noticed it got a little colder than the initial forecast on this side of the lake.  GRR got down to -1 and my own thermometer shows a low of -3.  It isn't anything too special until you factor in the wind which stayed up around 10mph off the lake all night long.  Brutal out there.  Exact same airmass with a calm wind, totally clear skies, and a good snowpack would have easily yielded a record, especially considering that todays record low for GRR is only -7.  Oh well. 

I noticed it got a little colder than the initial forecast on this side of the lake.  GRR got down to -1 and my own thermometer shows a low of -3.  It isn't anything too special until you factor in the wind which stayed up around 10mph off the lake all night long.  Brutal out there.  Exact same airmass with a calm wind, totally clear skies, and a good snowpack would have easily yielded a record, especially considering that todays record low for GRR is only -7.  Oh well. 

For a wind off the lake that's in the 30s, that's a pretty good low.

Winds stayed 5mph and under most of the night here. Mundelein in central Lake County got down to -7°, which beat out every location in NE/NC IL. Surprised Aurora didn't hit -10° or something like that last night, :lmao: .

Eh, there were a few clouds here early this morning...at least at my place. Might have had some diamond dust as well...something was floating through the air.

Clouds did seem to increase this morning but almost all of the overnight was spent with clear skies per the LAF obs. I think the wind staying up was by far the bigger hindrance.

Archived