• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

The DGZ was progged to be like 400 mb deep in northern IL today so maybe the high ratios are legit. Plus I don't know what they would've meant to type in place of 120...say they accidentally added a 1 to the 120...that would make it 20:1 which is not all that incredible.

fcst sounding I just pulled off the for around DVN earlier today showing the deep DGZ

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had probably the heaviest snow seen this month in the last 20 minutes besides perhaps January 5th.  Roads completely covered.  This is what you call a DAB+ event.  Better than a dusting, but not really a solid measurable snow either.  Very narrow banding, and my neighborhood was in the right spot for the rail thin band.

Just had probably the heaviest snow seen this month in the last 20 minutes besides perhaps January 5th.  Roads completely covered.  This is what you call a DAB+ event.  Better than a dusting, but not really a solid measurable snow either.  Very narrow banding, and my neighborhood was in the right spot for the rail thin band.

There's some 30dbz pockets in those bands. A few strong ones headed straight towards the area.

Snowing at a decent clip right now, already a solid dusting on everything.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT...CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI

627 PM CST WED JAN 23 2013

WIZ046-047-051-052-056>060-062>072-240245-

MARQUETTE-GREEN LAKE-FOND DU LAC-SHEBOYGAN-SAUK-COLUMBIA-DODGE-

WASHINGTON-OZAUKEE-IOWA-DANE-JEFFERSON-WAUKESHA-MILWAUKEE-

LAFAYETTE-GREEN-ROCK-WALWORTH-RACINE-KENOSHA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTELLO...BERLIN...FOND DU LAC...

SHEBOYGAN...BARABOO...PORTAGE...WISCONSIN DELLS...BEAVER DAM...

WEST BEND...PORT WASHINGTON...DODGEVILLE...MADISON...JEFFERSON...

LAKE MILLS...WAUKESHA...BROOKFIELD...MILWAUKEE...DARLINGTON...

MONROE...JANESVILLE...BELOIT...ELKHORN...LAKE GENEVA...RACINE...

KENOSHA

627 PM CST WED JAN 23 2013

...SLIPPERY ROADS THIS EVENING...

SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN

BETWEEN 6 PM AND 9 PM...BECOMING BRIEFLY HEAVY WITH VISIBILITIES OF

1/2 MILE. A RAPID ACCUMULATION OF 1/3 INCH TO 1/2 INCH OF SNOW

WILL OCCUR WITH THESE HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS...MAKING UNTREATED

ROADS SLIPPERY. THE SNOW WILL DIMINISH TO FLURRIES FROM NORTHWEST

TO SOUTHEAST...WITH NORTHWEST WINDS INCREASING TO 15 TO 25

MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH...AS A COLD FRONT DROPS THROUGH THE

REGION.

TRAVELERS SHOULD BE ALERT FOR A RAPID DETERIORATION OF DRIVING

CONDITIONS AS THESE SHOWERS MOVE THROUGH THE REGION.

$$

REM

CORRECTED WORDING IN LAST SENTENCE.

Interesting observation. And I don't think they've got much snow up that way. Maybe radational cooling wasn't a factor.

I'm guessing that the clear skies allowed the temperatures to drop an extra degree or two at all stations in the GTA. There was only a couple of degrees spread between downtown Toronto and Pearson/Buttonville airports. I think the extra snowcover along with the clear skies helped lower temperatures a tad more downtown.

EDIT: probably not going to cut it.

SPECI KORD 240220Z 31010KT 3/4SM -SN SCT025 BKN035 OVC060 M07/M12 A3015 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1 1/2 $

SPECI KORD 240235Z 31010KT 3/4SM -SN BKN025 BKN035 OVC040 M07/M12 A3016 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 3/4 RVRNO $

Nice burst of snow here in Kankakee as well.

Last little band of scattered precip rotating south towards us might give us our first flakes of the day. 

Narrow little snow squall passed through.  Only lasted 5-10 minutes but was enough to whiten the ground a bit.  Picked up 0.2".  Hard to believe ORD had such low totals with snow falling off and on all day, and this little thing gave me this much. 

Narrow little snow squall passed through.  Only lasted 5-10 minutes but was enough to whiten the ground a bit.  Picked up 0.2".  Hard to believe ORD had such low totals with snow falling off and on all day, and this little thing gave me this much. 

Chistorm is trying out his new job, so get ready and strapped in for lowballed ORD totals. :)

Even though temps were in the low 20's the snow was melting on many surfaces...and blowing off of others. The grass is the only thing it was efficiently accumulating on.

The decent burst of -SN this afternoon at ORD was much shorter than here, so the 0.1" is believable compared to the 0.3" here.

Archived