northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...i'll take 20Fs...or at least some sunshine.  Single digits all day and thick overcast.   Can't be very often you ahve cloudy conditions and such cold temps.

Its very common in Michigan, but for a place with no lake influence... It is probably rare.

It was -36 at two places north and west of Ely, Minnesota this morning. (Not sure of exact city names) I think that's the lowest I've seen in the US in this particular cold wave. It's quite a low temperature for places outside high-altitude valleys and high mountains.

It was -36 at two places north and west of Ely, Minnesota this morning. (Not sure of exact city names) I think that's the lowest I've seen in the US in this particular cold wave. It's quite a low temperature for places outside high-altitude valleys and high mountains.

Embarrass, MN had -42 this morning.

I'm fairly confident that the February cold snap is going to occur but I sure as hell hope it's accompanied with more snow opportunities than its January counterpart. Our inability to coax even the most meager of synoptic snows for weeks at a time, even with a quasi-favorable pattern is bordering on mind boggling.

Looking ahead, even if some of us end up with a bit more snow than last year, the fact that this winter has had so many more opportunities for appreciable snow but failed to deliver might incline a few of us to cast our ballots for 2012-13 as the more unsatisfactory winter.  

I'm fairly confident that the February cold snap is going to occur but I sure as hell hope it's accompanied with more snow opportunities than its January counterpart. Our inability to coax even the most meager of synoptic snows for weeks at a time, even with a quasi-favorable pattern is bordering on mind boggling.

Looking ahead, even if some of us end up with a bit more snow than last year, the fact that this winter has had so many more opportunities for appreciable snow but failed to deliver might incline a few of us to cast our ballots for 2012-13 as the more unsatisfactory winter.  

For some, perhaps, but for here, no way. In fact, the "more snow than last year" is technically the only thing thats up in the air for here as of now with regards to a lock that this winter is better than last. Last winter, DTW saw a total of 26.0" of snow, just 20 days of 1"+ snowcover. Through Jan 24th this winter, snowfall is at 13.8" and counting, and 1"+ snowcover days are at 21 and counting, ALREADY surpassing last winters total. Tempwise, last winter was the 6th warmest winter on record and chances we finish as warm this year appear to be on the order of like 1%. Already have had an arctic blast better than any last year, a snowstorm better than any last year, and a period of respectable snowcover better than any last year. Has this been a good winter so far? Not really. Has it been better than 2011-12? Absolutely.

I do agree with your Feb ideas, and forecasts for a backloaded winter seem to be common. Whether or not this happens will determine whether this is a "good winter" or simply "better than last winter" in my book.

January will finish here somewhere around normal in temps, above normal in precipitation, and most likely less than 1.0" total snow. Pretty disappointing, when you look at it that way. I guess sometimes it just doesn't want to snow.

If Feb and Mar suck, not that Mar is a good month for here anyway, then for MBY...this winter will be more unsatisfactory. I saw 20" last winter...some how, some way. We're sitting at 6.9" right now.

For some, perhaps, but for here, no way. In fact, the "more snow than last year" is technically the only thing thats up in the air for here as of now with regards to a lock that this winter is better than last. Last winter, DTW saw a total of 26.0" of snow, just 20 days of 1"+ snowcover. Through Jan 24th this winter, snowfall is at 13.8" and counting, and 1"+ snowcover days are at 21 and counting, ALREADY surpassing last winters total. Tempwise, last winter was the 6th warmest winter on record and chances we finish as warm this year appear to be on the order of like 1%. Already have had an arctic blast better than any last year, a snowstorm better than any last year, and a period of respectable snowcover better than any last year. Has this been a good winter so far? Not really. Has it been better than 2011-12? Absolutely.

I do agree with your Feb ideas, and forecasts for a backloaded winter seem to be common. Whether or not this happens will determine whether this is a "good winter" or simply "better than last winter" in my book.

You make some good points. It's amazing how easy it is to forget the December storm. Feels like an eternity ago. But you're right. The almost 5" I got out of that was double anything I saw last year. And the sub zero temps from yesterday are probably 10-15 colder than anything observed last year. Ok. I'll retract that last paragraph. Spring would have to start Feb 1 for 12-13 to be considered worse than last winter. This winter is still quite bad though and a lot of work needs to be done before that'll change.

Really it is the NE IL, SE WI crowd that has a real claim to worst winter. The futility going on in chitown west to mby is mind boggling. Largest event and deepest snow depth is .6"... This is certainly worse than last year.

I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but although you have some good points about last winter vs. this winter (colder arctic outbreak, December snow, length of snow cover, etc), this winter has still underperformed. As mentioned above, some areas of the subforum have had it so bad that even you would be complaining if you lived there. There are very few areas that are at or above average for the year.

Personally, I am one of those who are the opposite of you. I like snow, but not cold. While you would prefer a constant snow cover, I would rather be able to look out the window and see it snowing. That makes last winter better than this year to me so far.

Really it is the NE IL, SE WI crowd that has a real claim to worst winter. The futility going on in chitown west to mby is mind boggling. Largest event and deepest snow depth is .6"... This is certainly worse than last year.

Yeah. I fully expected some crummy winters soon to make up for the heavy snowfall 2007-2011 saw...thats nowhere near normal and climo has to try to even itself out, or its not climo anymore. I fell into the media trap in Fall 2011, ignoring the signs, and thinking wow ANOTHER great winter may be on the way. Which of course...was a huge fail. But whats going on in your area is far worse than any of the rest of the region. Most of the region is basically having a mediocre winter. The trends thus far seem to argue that Chicago may be in for a historically bad snow season, but dont be the least bit surprised if Feb/Mar get some  late season thumps of snow that make the season total more respectable and out of the top 10 or even the top 20 most futile winters.

I know that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but although you have some good points about last winter vs. this winter (colder arctic outbreak, December snow, length of snow cover, etc), this winter has still underperformed. As mentioned above, some areas of the subforum have had it so bad that even you would be complaining if you lived there. There are very few areas that are at or above average for the year.

Personally, I am one of those who are the opposite of you. I like snow, but not cold. While you would prefer a constant snow cover, I would rather be able to look out the window and see it snowing. That makes last winter better than this year to me so far.

Yeah I was strictly talking mby and winter as whole. I have complained about the weather actually, it just gets lost in the shuffle :lol: (see the snowcover destroying torch the 2nd week of Jan). I just don't go overboard and overdramatic like many do.

Trust me, I am happy ingot my lake effect snow....but I still can't help but smack my head looking at the first synoptic event on radar to give us over an inch. bahaha

It heads toward West Michigan and moves both South and breaks up as it hits the snow shield. 45 minutes of snow and now SUN. Lol

Are you close enough to the shoreline to be cashing in on the snow this afternoon?

Archived