• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

I know I'm probably   :deadhorse: ...but the cold air mass currently sitting over the upper midwest is really amazing.  The Grand Marais airport in NE MN (elevation around 1700') is -22F at 1 PM CST, with a wind chill in the -40s.  The 850 mb temp is probably around -34C.  I can't remember the last time I saw a temperature in the lower 48 that cold during peak daytime heating.  Maybe Feb 1996?  I don't remember it that cold during the day in mid-Jan 2009, during that arctic outbreak.  Of course the overnight mins were very impressive in mid-Jan 2009 due to the snow cover.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp has only managed to rebound back up to 9 after bottoming out at 1 above mid-morning.  That's with full sun.  Temp may yet tag 10 before tailing off.  Point calls for -3 tonight, but 4km NAM has us holding at zero.  Gonna be close, but it looks like we won't be able to sneak through the winter without a subzero reading. 

You can tell the folks at DVN are bored out of their minds.  Never seen this much effort put into a flurry/very light snow forecast.  Pretty impressive actually.

AT 18Z/21 FLURRIES AND SOME -SN WHERE OCCURRING ACROSS PARTS OFNE/SD. CAREFUL ANALYSIS OF WHAT IS GOING ON INDICATES PWATS OF ATLEAST 0.25 INCH OR 0.5-1 G/KG OF MOISTURE WITH WIND/MOISTURECONVERGENCE IN THE 800-900MB LAYER. CONDENSATION PRESSURE DEFICITSIN THE SAME LAYER WERE ALSO 30 OR LESS WHILE 700MB RH WAS 90 PERCENTOR HIGHER WITH A THETA E GRADIENT.MOVING THESE FEATURES INTO THE FUTURE BRINGS THEM ACROSS THE CWFATUESDAY NIGHT BUT THE WIND/MOISTURE CONVERGENCE WEAKENS IN AMAJORITY OF THE MODELS. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT MODEL SMOOTHING OF THESESUBTLE FEATURES IS OCCURRING. IF ACTUAL -SN OCCURS WITH THE FLURRIESTUES NIGHT THERE IS A GOOD PROBABILITY THAT IT WILL BE IN BANDS.GOING ON THE SCENARIO OF BANDED -SN OCCURRING AND USING THE 700MB RHAS A TIMING FEATURE...FLURRIES WITH A BAND OF -SN WILL MOVE INTO THECWFA TUESDAY EVENING AND COVER ALL BUT THE NORTHEAST QUARTER OF THECWFA BY MIDNIGHT. AFTER MIDNIGHT THE FLURRY ACTIVITY WILL SLOWLY INTHE SOUTHWEST WITH ONE OR MORE NARROW BANDS OF -SN ACROSS THENORTHERN CWFA. WHERE -SN DOES OCCUR IT SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN ADUSTING.FLURRIES OVER ROUGHLY THE NORTHEAST HALF OF THE CWFA AT SUNRISEWEDNESDAY WILL END DURING THE MORNING AS CONDENSATION PRESSUREDEFICITS RISE. SKIES ARE THEN EXPECTED TO CLEAR DURING THE AFTERNOONAS THE NEXT COLD HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS INTO THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES.

Started the day at 14 around 6:00AM and it dropped all day to 8° at 5:00PM.  WOnder how much cloud cover and the lake will help keep us warm tonight?

According to WGN you got 5" today...? so far.

You can tell the folks at DVN are bored out of their minds.  Never seen this much effort put into a flurry/very light snow forecast.  Pretty impressive actually.

AT 18Z/21 FLURRIES AND SOME -SN WHERE OCCURRING ACROSS PARTS OFNE/SD. CAREFUL ANALYSIS OF WHAT IS GOING ON INDICATES PWATS OF ATLEAST 0.25 INCH OR 0.5-1 G/KG OF MOISTURE WITH WIND/MOISTURECONVERGENCE IN THE 800-900MB LAYER. CONDENSATION PRESSURE DEFICITSIN THE SAME LAYER WERE ALSO 30 OR LESS WHILE 700MB RH WAS 90 PERCENTOR HIGHER WITH A THETA E GRADIENT.MOVING THESE FEATURES INTO THE FUTURE BRINGS THEM ACROSS THE CWFATUESDAY NIGHT BUT THE WIND/MOISTURE CONVERGENCE WEAKENS IN AMAJORITY OF THE MODELS. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT MODEL SMOOTHING OF THESESUBTLE FEATURES IS OCCURRING. IF ACTUAL -SN OCCURS WITH THE FLURRIESTUES NIGHT THERE IS A GOOD PROBABILITY THAT IT WILL BE IN BANDS.GOING ON THE SCENARIO OF BANDED -SN OCCURRING AND USING THE 700MB RHAS A TIMING FEATURE...FLURRIES WITH A BAND OF -SN WILL MOVE INTO THECWFA TUESDAY EVENING AND COVER ALL BUT THE NORTHEAST QUARTER OF THECWFA BY MIDNIGHT. AFTER MIDNIGHT THE FLURRY ACTIVITY WILL SLOWLY INTHE SOUTHWEST WITH ONE OR MORE NARROW BANDS OF -SN ACROSS THENORTHERN CWFA. WHERE -SN DOES OCCUR IT SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN ADUSTING.FLURRIES OVER ROUGHLY THE NORTHEAST HALF OF THE CWFA AT SUNRISEWEDNESDAY WILL END DURING THE MORNING AS CONDENSATION PRESSUREDEFICITS RISE. SKIES ARE THEN EXPECTED TO CLEAR DURING THE AFTERNOONAS THE NEXT COLD HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS INTO THE WESTERN GREAT LAKES.

I've never seen such a long discussion on a simple -SN and flurry event! :snowwindow:

Nice shot of the -SN that fell over the weekend in southern IA.

According to WGN you got 5" today...? so far.

I've never seen such a long discussion on a simple -SN and flurry event! :snowwindow:

Nice shot of the -SN that fell over the weekend in southern IA.

attachicon.gif012013snow.jpg

Nice.  On the expanded view you can see small streaks of snow that fell from the snow showers early today.  Those extend into Indiana.

Down to 6 already.

9º/-6º at LAF at 7:00pm. Staticky. 

I know, right? I kissed my wife awhile ago and be both about got electrocuted.

Point and click tonight is -17.  Im already there.

I love winter and all, but those MN temps are a little much for me. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to receive the amount of snow that you get.

Archived