Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing pretty good in Ames right now.  It looks like it will mostly go south of CR, though.

Just west of Ames in Boone they're down to 0.5 mile.  Vinton just northwest of CR just dropped to 2 miles.  This is the winter of the <100 mile wide snow bands.  Seems like every "event" this season consists of narrow swaths of snow. 

Up to 17 now with clouds increasing.  Would probably have stayed around 10 all day if there was some snow cover.

Wow 55mph at DTW. Temp hovered in the mid-40s through last evening actually completely melted my last snow pile in a shaded area of the backyard. Now my neighbor across the street is the only one Ive seen who has a snowpile left from shoveling Decembers snows. Everything else is 100% grass, just the old plow piles in parking lots. Hopefully I will not be able to say that in 24 hours.

Oh and yes, on what will be a brutal day with single digit wind chills...DTW will be able to log a high of 45F set just after 1am. HATE those days!

12am- 42F

01am- 44F

02am- 43F

03am- 39F

04am- 29F

05am- 25F

06am- 23F

07am- 21F

08am- 20F

I hear you. It will really raise our monthly mean temperature. Plus, anyone looking back years from now will never realize just how cold the day was, focusing instead on the high of 45F

Just west of Ames in Boone they're down to 0.5 mile.  Vinton just northwest of CR just dropped to 2 miles.  This is the winter of the <100 mile wide snow bands.  Seems like every "event" this season consists of narrow swaths of snow. 

Up to 17 now with clouds increasing.  Would probably have stayed around 10 all day if there was some snow cover.

I guess the Canadian models were right about the prospects for a little clipper snow! Just not in this subforum.

Getting pretty cloudy here as well.

On today's 12z Euro, the -36C 850 mb contour shows up in far northern MN on the 24 hour panel (12z on 1/21).  Besides some of insanely cold model runs from 7-10 days ago, that is the coldest model prog I've seen.  This cold snap will prove to be very intense in the Upper Midwest, where there is snow on the ground.  I wouldn't be surprised if INL hits -35...and some of the favorable cold spots (like Embarrass and Tower) may hit -40.   

On today's 12z Euro, the -36C 850 mb contour shows up in far northern MN on the 24 hour panel (12z on 1/21).  Besides some of insanely cold model runs from 7-10 days ago, that is the coldest model prog I've seen.  This cold snap will prove to be very intense in the Upper Midwest, where there is snow on the ground.  I wouldn't be surprised if INL hits -35...and some of the favorable cold spots (like Embarrass and Tower) may hit -40

I was thinking -40 for Tower as well.  Gonna be brutal but interesting at the same time.

0.1" - just ignore it.

Spoken like a true West Michigander....haha. When I went back to PA over Christmas I chuckled as everybody went out and shoveled/cleaned stuff off after every little dusting.

It was one of the first things my wife and I noticed when moving here...people don't really bother cleaning off the snow until it gets to a couple inches of depth. Otherwise, in a normal winter, you'd be cleaning every day!

A lot riding on the Thursday-Friday system. Outside of ORD, a widespread 8" snowfall would bring a lot of us to within a few inches of normal and a chance for this winter to redeem itself. On the other hand, a whiff or insignificant snow would essentially cement this winter as a dud as we'd need an improbably anomalous snowy period in February and March to recover. 

Down to 12 F after an afternoon high of 16 F.

Wind chill advisory starting later tonight, real temps will be around zero but winds are projected to remain steady at 5-15 mph.

WIND CHILL VALUES...COLDEST VALUES 18 TO 24 BELOW LATER TONIGHT  INTO MONDAY MORNING AND THEN 20 TO 30 BELOW ZERO MONDAY NIGHT  INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

In other news we still officially have 1" of snow depth as of the latest ob... I wonder if they do have a solid inch out at the airport or just piles everywhere.

It'll probably blow away Hawkeye!

15° with partial sun here.

It seems like that happened here.  Wind sublimation.  There was a half inch of fluff on the ground earlier today but it's looking more bare again this evening.  The lake effect has all stayed southwest of me so far and dewpoints are way down in the single digits.  I've never seen it so cold with a total lack of snowpack.  :arrowhead:

It seems like that happened here.  Wind sublimation.  There was a half inch of fluff on the ground earlier today but it's looking more bare again this evening.  The lake effect has all stayed southwest of me so far and dewpoints are way down in the single digits.  I've never seen it so cold with a total lack of snowpack.  :arrowhead:

Blow or sublimated away! Doesn't sounds like you'll have a problem accumulating snow tonight!

Temp sitting at 15° now. There is some high and mid level clouds keeping it a little milder.

Sitting on a T of snow here for January. Granted Jan 13 could've had 0.1" of sleet, but I'm punting that. No matter, the Thu-Fri system may be the only hope for MBY to see measurable this month. Don't think I've ever personally experienced a January without at least 0.1" of snow, let alone more. And it's not like this month will be a runaway end to end torch either. Not a complaint, just the facts. I guess sometimes it just doesn't want to snow.

Blow or sublimated away! Doesn't sounds like you'll have a problem accumulating snow tonight!

Temp sitting at 15° now. There is some high and mid level clouds keeping it a little milder.

I don't know.  The wind direction isn't optimal for MBY.  I'm in the northern part of Kent county east of US-131.  There's always a really sharp SW-to-NE cutoff in these kinds of events.  It's also really hard to get good flake size with dewpoints down in the single digits.

Sounds like you did pretty good today Blackrock.  We ended up with about 3/4".  Nice to see some white out there.  This is probably our second biggest snow of the winter!

Biggest storm IMBY was the 3" from the westernmost band of December OV storm.  That one cut off really quick west of I-131 though.

Spoken like a true West Michigander....haha. When I went back to PA over Christmas I chuckled as everybody went out and shoveled/cleaned stuff off after every little dusting.

It was one of the first things my wife and I noticed when moving here...people don't really bother cleaning off the snow until it gets to a couple inches of depth. Otherwise, in a normal winter, you'd be cleaning every day!

I'll brush off the walkways but it has to be at least 3" before I'm motivated to clear the entire driveway.  The problem is some winters are filled with 1-3 inchers.  Multiple layers packed on with freeze-thaw cycles in between turns the driveway into a 3" thick skating rink that doesn't melt until spring.

A lot riding on the Thursday-Friday system. Outside of ORD, a widespread 8" snowfall would bring a lot of us to within a few inches of normal and a chance for this winter to redeem itself. On the other hand, a whiff or insignificant snow would essentially cement this winter as a dud as we'd need an improbably anomalous snowy period in February and March to recover. 

If can pick up 10" of snow this next week they will be sitting at exactly normal Jan 26th, which is the halfway point of our snow season here. Its not likely, but with lake effect and storm POTENTIAL its certainly possible. Too much left of winter to go either way for me the 3rd week of January. If we were in 1978 we would probably think we were en route to a 100"+ winter in Detroit, only to have the snow shut off to just a few nickels and dimes the rest of the winter (just over 8" more from Jan 27th thru April). If it was 1900, we would think we would be lucky to see a 15" winter and we got 70". Moral of the story, whatever happens this week will merely tell me where we sit mid-winter, but still wont be confident on the end result.

Down to 12 F after an afternoon high of 16 F.

Wind chill advisory starting later tonight, real temps will be around zero but winds are projected to remain steady at 5-15 mph.

WIND CHILL VALUES...COLDEST VALUES 18 TO 24 BELOW LATER TONIGHT  INTO MONDAY MORNING AND THEN 20 TO 30 BELOW ZERO MONDAY NIGHT  INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

In other news we still officially have 1" of snow depth as of the latest ob... I wonder if they do have a solid inch out at the airport or just piles everywhere.

Snow depth after thaws is always so hard. You have to do the average depth, and you don't count any manmade piles of any kind (also dont measure near a heat source like concrete). Its supposed to be the average depth of untouched or sheltered grass. Say you have half bare ground and half the ground has a 2" depth, your depth is 1". If its more like 75% bare ground and 25% has depth, even like 2-4", its a T.

Archived