Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Nice surprise here.

attachicon.gifJan 21 snow 1.JPG

attachicon.gifJan 21 snow 2.JPG

I have a love/hate relationship with these kind of squalls. When its snowing, its often better than anything you will see in many if not most snowstorms. But its over in 10 minutes. Had one this morning here, though this was semi-expected with the flow over Lake MI

3372-800.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mississippi River effect snow !

River_Effect.png

Modis_2013Jan20.png

Very cold temps, open water, gusty winds... 

Lake Pepin is just a dammed portion of the Mississippi (pool)...

Interesting.

The sky looks pretty interesting right now.  Tiny little cumulus scattered around, but in between there's patches of what look like ice crystals.  Basically look like patches of cirrus a few thousand feet up.  Very arctic looking sky.

MOS and 2m temps from GFS/NAM showing lows above zero here tonight, however everything is running a bit warm as of 18z so I think a low just below zero is still a possibility.

It'll be close.

As others have said, if only we had extensive region snow pack...this could've been fairly impressive.

Interesting.

The sky looks pretty interesting right now.  Tiny little cumulus scattered around, but in between there's patches of what look like ice crystals.  Basically look like patches of cirrus a few thousand feet up.  Very arctic looking sky.

Lake St Clair lake effect band? 

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=DTX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

MOS and 2m temps from GFS/NAM showing lows above zero here tonight, however everything is running a bit warm as of 18z so I think a low just below zero is still a possibility.

Speaking of getting below zero, finally got the 3 dates where ORD had no snow cover and RFD and Madison had 0 or T snow cover: 1/23/03, 1/27/03, 12/24/04. 

1/23/03:   ORD Low: -4: 850 mb T: -26; 925 mb T: -24; RFD snow depth: 0; MSN snow depth: 0

1/27/03:   ORD Low: -7: 850 mb T: -17; 925 mb T: -17; RFD snow depth: T; MSN snow depth: 0

12/24/04: ORD Low: -2; 850 mb T: -22; 925 mb T: -22; RFD snow depth: T; MSN snow depth: T

DLL - River Effect snow! Really.

I would have thought all the river water up there would be in frozen form! lol That's really cool though. B)

I noticed a trace of snow this morning also. Must have been some snow caught up in the NW flow...?

Frigid out there right now with passing clouds. 8°.

Speaking of getting below zero, finally got the 3 dates where ORD had no snow cover and RFD and Madison had 0 or T snow cover: 1/23/03, 1/27/03, 12/24/04.

1/23/03: ORD Low: -4: 850 mb T: -26; 925 mb T: -24; RFD snow depth: 0; MSN snow depth: 0

1/27/03: ORD Low: -7: 850 mb T: -17; 925 mb T: -17; RFD snow depth: T; MSN snow depth: 0

12/24/04: ORD Low: -2; 850 mb T: -22; 925 mb T: -22; RFD snow depth: T; MSN snow depth: T

Thanks. That is interesting...all 3 occurrences came less than 2 years apart.

Those warm days kept that portion of the river open enough.  The current is pretty strong out on the main channel, so not much warmth allows everything to open right back up, especially if we get some water runoff to raise the water levels a little. 

I was talking to my brother and on Saturday, before the front came through...the fishing was the best they can ever remember.  All panfish (sunfish/crappies)...  Everyone had their limit and they had to leave after just a morning on the ice...  Limits there are 10 sunfish/25 crappies... so 35 a guy and there was a group of close to 10.   Its a shallow pocket and you can see all the fish that are down there...they said it was like an aquarium.  

Thanks. That is interesting...all 3 occurrences came less than 2 years apart.

You're welcome, I thought the 1/27/03 occurrence was most interesting, the lowest temperature but warmest temperatures aloft. Haven't looked at the composites yet, but I'm assuming the radiational cooling had to be ideal for that. Also, 12/24/04 was right after the monster OH valley snowstorm, which given the lack of snow on the ground up here, had to be a heartbreak like 12/26/12 for this area. Paducah, KY had at least 10" of snow on the ground and got down to -11 that night. 

You're welcome, I thought the 1/27/03 occurrence was most interesting, the lowest temperature but warmest temperatures aloft. Haven't looked at the composites yet, but I'm assuming the radiational cooling had to be ideal for that. Also, 12/24/04 was right after the monster OH valley snowstorm, which given the lack of snow on the ground up here, had to be a heartbreak like 12/26/12 for this area. Paducah, KY had at least 10" of snow on the ground and got down to -11 that night.

Surface high positioning looks like it was pretty good on 1/27/03

012712.png

Archived