amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet. How much accum. do you have? Hopefully they will make it across the lake, or perhaps even pick up moisture.

It only lasted about 10 minutes and since then it has been intermittent small flakes. Just a dusting on the sleet and ice from last night.

Too bad the composite radar image isn't verifying. The area would be getting a steady light snow right now!

Pretty sweet Manitoba Mauler showing up for next weekend on all of the major global models as the pattern re-amplifies. It looks to be followed (possibly) by a clipper right after. This Mauler wouldn't have much moisture to work with (typical for this type of system), but very high ratios, intense dynamics via a very strong baroclinic zone and high winds could make for a brief but wild ride not only along the system track but also along the surging arctic front, where snow squalls would be possible.

Pretty sweet Manitoba Mauler showing up for next weekend on all of the major global models as the pattern re-amplifies. It looks to be followed (possibly) by a clipper right after. This Mauler wouldn't have much moisture to work with (typical for this type of system), but very high ratios, intense dynamics via a very strong baroclinic zone and high winds could make for a brief but wild ride not only along the system track but also along the surging arctic front, where snow squalls would be possible.

I mention in the med-range discussion that the euro looks sweet for next Monday.

One thing I can say for here...the ground will be frozen and ready when any snow hits lol. Interesting here in SE MI, after Decembers 20-day torch to start the month, snow immediately covered the ground as soon as it got cold and stayed until this torch the last few days. So we havent really seen that rock-hard frozen ground yet.

This evening slug of moisture dropped another 0.24" of rain with just a trace of a few flurries at the end. So our Dec 20-Jan 13 precip totals...

Dec 20/21..0.79" (1.1" snow)

Dec 24.......0.07" (0.9" snow)

Dec 26/27..0.44" (6.3" snow)

Dec 28...........T (0.1" snow)

Dec 29.......0.20" (2.7" snow)

Dec 30...........T (0.3" snow)

Jan 5/6.......0.03" (0.6" snow)

Jan 10/11...0.94"

Jan 12/13...1.06" (T snow)

Dec 20-Jan 13: 3.53" (12.0" snow)

12z NAM has snow in the Ohio Valley later this week. NAM trickery or is it onto something?

going with option 1.

If you notice, the nam has actually flattened itself a bit since yesterday....which means it's making the adjustment to reality, although slowly.   Yesterday it was amped enough to suggest rain up to my location.

Now today is what I would call a nice winter day here. Not a deep snowpack but enough to completely cover the grass, along with sunny skies and temps in the low 20s. I would rather have this than mid 30s with 40MPH SW winds anytime. Also, no haze makes it even nicer. Mild weather in January almost always comes with fog/haze.

Hasn't been above freezing since the new snow Sat night, but it's already shrinking away.  Considerably less quality snow cover compared to the low-ratio snow from the Dec 20 system. 

Looks like our next chance for snow will be another week to 10 days at least.  Didn't think we'd top last year's futility of 19", but it seems almost hard to believe we'll get 14 more inches from late Jan through Mar the way things are going.  Oh well.

Here's something you don't see very often. I'm not sure if this is just an error, but if not, pretty cool stuff:

Yesterday's low temperature is higher than today's maximum temperature. In theory this should never happen because the temperature at midnight should overlap into both days. But last night at 11:59 pm the temperature was 37, but today's high was 36. That means that at 11:59 pm last night the temperature was most likely 36.5 degrees and at the stroke of midnight dipped to 36.4 hence giving (due to rounding) a 1 degree difference between the two days. I think the climate report always shows the last occurrence of a temperature so that 36 held for a few more hours before dropping. Pretty cool stuff and I'm willing to bet this rarely ever happens.

Today's Climate Report:

CLIMATE REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH515 PM EST MON JAN 14 2013......................................THE CLEVELAND OH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 14 2013...VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1871 TO 2013WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR                                                  NORMAL..................................................................TEMPERATURE (F) TODAY  MAXIMUM         36    225 AM  70    1932  34      2       22  MINIMUM         27   1254 PM  -6    1893  22      5       19  AVERAGE         32                        28      4       21

Yesterday's Climate Report:

CLIMATE REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH1228 AM EST MON JAN 14 2013......................................THE CLEVELAND OH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 13 2013...CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1871 TO 2013WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR                                                  NORMAL..................................................................TEMPERATURE (F) YESTERDAY  MAXIMUM         64    648 AM  68    2005  34     30       24                                      1890  MINIMUM         37   1159 PM -10    1977  22     15       17  AVERAGE         51                        28     23       21

Here's something you don't see very often. I'm not sure if this is just an error, but if not, pretty cool stuff:

Yesterday's low temperature is higher than today's maximum temperature. In theory this should never happen because the temperature at midnight should overlap into both days. But last night at 11:59 pm the temperature was 37, but today's high was 36. That means that at 11:59 pm last night the temperature was most likely 36.5 degrees and at the stroke of midnight dipped to 36.4 hence giving (due to rounding) a 1 degree difference between the two days. I think the climate report always shows the last occurrence of a temperature so that 36 held for a few more hours before dropping. Pretty cool stuff and I'm willing to bet this rarely ever happens.

Today's Climate Report:

CLIMATE REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH515 PM EST MON JAN 14 2013......................................THE CLEVELAND OH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 14 2013...VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1871 TO 2013WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR                                                  NORMAL..................................................................TEMPERATURE (F) TODAY  MAXIMUM         36    225 AM  70    1932  34      2       22  MINIMUM         27   1254 PM  -6    1893  22      5       19  AVERAGE         32                        28      4       21

Yesterday's Climate Report:

CLIMATE REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH1228 AM EST MON JAN 14 2013......................................THE CLEVELAND OH CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JANUARY 13 2013...CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1871 TO 2013WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR                                                  NORMAL..................................................................TEMPERATURE (F) YESTERDAY  MAXIMUM         64    648 AM  68    2005  34     30       24                                      1890  MINIMUM         37   1159 PM -10    1977  22     15       17  AVERAGE         51                        28     23       21

You would be correct, the same is true for 2 minute wind speeds and wind gusts.

Now today is what I would call a nice winter day here. Not a deep snowpack but enough to completely cover the grass, along with sunny skies and temps in the low 20s. I would rather have this than mid 30s with 40MPH SW winds anytime. Also, no haze makes it even nicer. Mild weather in January almost always comes with fog/haze.

Agree with this. That wind last week sucked and made it feel terrible outside despite it being warmer. Despite the clouds and light snows this morning it did not feel that bad outside. Only have a half inch on the ground but it is better then totally bare.

Archived