northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was a really cool picture posted in the WGN weather blog today. Rain shaft over Soldier Field and the Field Museum.

photo2-764x1024.jpg

That pic's badass!

Temp has actually ticked up a degree or two this eve.  We're tied for the warmest of the day right now at 51.  Wind has been very gusty from the south all eve.  MLI up to 55 right now, which is only 1 degree short of the record.

Nice day around the region. It literally felt like an early spring day. Not looking forward to a snow starved cold snap next week. Looks boring.

It sure does! Perhaps we can get some clippers to produce. Models don't really seem to pick up on them until about three days before they form.

I think if I lived in Chicago or Milwaukee and loved cold/snow/winter...I'd think about moving north...way north!  This is just getting strange.

43F right now...clear skies...10pm...Jan 11th ...in La Crosse. 

How much of your glacier is still around? Is it still packed or slush?

North sides of buildings, its still covered the grass...anything south facing and the grass is showing and there are a lot of snow free spots.  Still piles...   Lots of melting going on tonite.  There are some huge fields by me that are almost snow free. 

We didn't have the glacier like Madison here...so easier to melt off. 

mon2day.F.gif

North sides of buildings, its still covered the grass...anything south facing and the grass is showing and there are a lot of snow free spots.  Still piles...   Lots of melting going on tonite.  There are some huge fields by me that are almost snow free. 

We didn't have the glacier like Madison here...so easier to melt off. 

mon2day.F.gif

Wow, you lost a lot. Didn't you still have around 8 inches?

Sickening day. Snow is completely gone except for piles. Was shocked that I picked up 0.94" of rain overnight. It actually soaked right into the leftover snow rather than wash it away as temps were in the 30s. Soaring temps into the 50s are what took care of the snow. This will only help to spread the flu around too. Makes me want a cold, rainy spring just to spite all the people who want this weather now :lol:

Extended looks cold...just hoping we can get SOME snow back with the lakes/clippers. Model qpf is low but it always is far-out in situations that involve lake effect or lake enhancement.

Yeah this was a crap day for the snow cover. Most of it was gone IMBY anyway, but now there is no evidence that there was ever any snow except in the heavily sheltered areas or places where the snow was piled a few feet high. By the time it gets below freezing again there will probably be nothing to remind me that winter happened.

48 degrees before sunrise in Detroit in the middle of January on our way to around 60 later on. Just crazy.

We had around 6 inches i think before this warm spell...but it didn't seem like that in my back yard...  I think they measure at the airport, so that should be close to what i have...if they measured on the bluff, then i'm sure they would have had more up there (500 ft above me)... 

We surged to 48F around 3AM... Now down to 27F..  Should be at 9F tonite.  Nice cold front.   Too bad its just back to normal for this time of year.

Just looking out the windows...  Can see that we had serious melt last night...even from yesterday afternoon.  All my trees out front have grass showing around them which was not like that yesterday. 

GFS shows nothing in the way of precip so this is what we keep for some time.

Next week looks normal, to maybe above normal. 

I think if I lived in Chicago or Milwaukee and loved cold/snow/winter...I'd think about moving north...way north!  This is just getting strange.

43F right now...clear skies...10pm...Jan 11th ...in La Crosse. 

They just had their snowiest decade possibly on record 3 years ago.

Temperatures dropping sharply this morning, from 48 F at 5 am to 32 F now.

Still plenty of snow piles next to roads and sidewalks, but yards are for the most part snow free. What a difference a day makes.

Wow. I am guessing the ground didn't have a chance to freeze before the snowfall either, which probably increased the rate of melting.

Yeah this was a crap day for the snow cover. Most of it was gone IMBY anyway, but now there is no evidence that there was ever any snow except in the heavily sheltered areas or places where the snow was piled a few feet high. By the time it gets below freezing again there will probably be nothing to remind me that winter happened.

48 degrees before sunrise in Detroit in the middle of January on our way to around 60 later on. Just crazy.

There will be old dirty plow piles...that will be it. No way do those all go. Looks like a possibility of getting a quick burst of snow tomorrow evening per latest models...lets hope its right!

Wow. I am guessing the ground didn't have a chance to freeze before the snowfall either, which probably increased the rate of melting.

Surprised Madison lost its whole glacier. But that was the case here regarding the ground,. We went from torch to snowcover immediately (which as we know insulates the ground) so not only did ground not freeze grass didnt get brown.

Surprised Madison lost its whole glacier. But that was the case here regarding the ground,. We went from torch to snowcover immediately (which as we know insulates the ground) so not only did ground not freeze grass didnt get brown.

Yeah, that was interesting about this week here. Although we had much less snow than you, our ground was frozen solid so some of the little bit of snow we had lasted until yesterday!

Looks like spring out there other than the odd drift in the ditch trying to survive. 

There are definitely glacial remnants still, bits of snow in yards and piles larger than couches in spots. :P

post-645-0-80199400-1358013172_thumb.jpg

Temp falling faster than forecast today - already 40°. Had a brief amount of sun, but now it's disappearing again!

Somewhat surprised you lost much of your glacier Turtle! Thought there would be a 2-3" layer of glacial firn left on the ground!

Archived