northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18z GFS.  Two clippers track too far north for any decent LES, yet again....  Then another rainstorm at 384 hrs...  :axe: .  Northern Ontario has a ton of snow on the ground and they're just going to keep hogging it all the whole winter it appears.

Don't count on it.... Clippers don't have the warm sector that gulf lows have... You can get good snow on any side of the low with a clipper.....

Don't count on it.... Clippers don't have the warm sector that gulf lows have... You can get good snow on any side of the low with a clipper.....

Yes they do, and usually if you are South of a clipper track it tends to not yield for your area at least not synoptically.

I thought that was where we wanted clippers to go, as they would bring westerly and southwesterly winds off the lake, giving us some lake effect... Unless moisture is "lacking" again.

Yes they do, and usually if you are South of a clipper track it tends to not yield for your area at least not synoptically.

They obviously have a warm sector, but its not as substantial as a sub tropical connected mid latitude cyclone.

It was a glorious day. Was able to accomplish many outside tasks including a siding project on my mud room. The wind was annoying but the mid winter sun felt nice on the face. Snow cover is taking a major hit around here, wont be much left by Saturday which is fine because the snow pack looked dirty anyhow. So too "positive polly" it up in here, Im hopelessly awaiting another decent snow storm. 

It was a glorious day. Was able to accomplish many outside tasks including a siding project on my mud room. The wind was annoying but the mid winter sun felt nice on the face. Snow cover is taking a major hit around here, wont be much left by Saturday which is fine because the snow pack looked dirty anyhow. So too "positive polly" it up in here, Im hopelessly awaiting another decent snow storm. 

I take it there was not as much wind out that way? Was gusting above 40mph here alot of the afternoon.

I take it there was not as much wind out that way? Was gusting above 40mph here alot of the afternoon.

It was windy. Im unsure of measured gust speeds, a good estimate maybe a few 30-35s. My neighbors must have got a good laugh watching me chase rouge peices of siding that the wind picked up.

18z GFS.  Two clippers track too far north for any decent LES, yet again....  Then another rainstorm at 384 hrs...  :axe: .  Northern Ontario has a ton of snow on the ground and they're just going to keep hogging it all the whole winter it appears.

The direction of the storm track over the entire period coming up is VERY clipper prone... I can spot several in the pipe-line.

LES could really start to pile up.

The direction of the storm track over the entire period coming up is VERY clipper prone... I can spot several in the pipe-line.

LES could really start to pile up.

As long as the flow is west/wnw all will be good and thus yeah the LES may start to really pile up in W.MI.

I personally think the models are trying to push things a bit too quick.. Again lets hope the MJO not only does a loop in phase 6/7 but as well craps out ( or atleast hangs out there for a while ) at/near the 6/7 line..

I thought that was where we wanted clippers to go, as they would bring westerly and southwesterly winds off the lake, giving us some lake effect... Unless moisture is "lacking" again.

Heavier LES can occur in the warm sector of a clipper provided the lapse rate is steep enough and the cloud layer extends all the way through the DGZ.  If the DGZ is high and the inversion level is low don't expect much to happen ahead of the front.

Pretty much. Only exception sometimes is in those areas downwind of the lake.

Sometimes there is convective snow with an arctic front tied to a clipper.  It depends on how potent the upper level portion of the wave is.  There are different "types" of clippers.  The ones shown on the GFS look more like WAA variety, i.e. not very steep lapse rate environment south of the low and thus not much precip in that sector.

Sometimes there is convective snow with an arctic front tied to a clipper.  It depends on how potent the upper level portion of the wave is.  There are different "types" of clippers.  The ones shown on the GFS look more like WAA variety, i.e. not very steep lapse rate environment south of the low and thus not much precip in that sector.

Agreed.

I remember some clippers that have had a band of moderate to heavy snow lining the cold front! Sometimes those events can put down a quick 2-3" of fluffy snow.

EURO really loops the MJO around that 6-7 area.

EMON_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

That is what i am hoping for as far as the MJO goes. Couldn't ask for much more. The Cold and snow will come for many of us if that works out as that model is showing.

I remember some clippers that have had a band of moderate to heavy snow lining the cold front! Sometimes those events can put down a quick 2-3" of fluffy snow.

There was a really good case of "warm" sector snowstorm in February 2002.  A foot of snow fell in a period of 5 hours over parts of W MI with thundersnow along and ahead of the arctic front.  I recall the totals were pretty significant even in WI before it scooped up the lake moisture.  The thing was associated with extremely cold 500 mb temps caused by a small chunk of the polar vortex pinching off over the northern plains and then quickly scooting east.

A quick 3-5" is a lot more typical for GRR with a stronger clipper / arctic front. 

Archived