Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

I love this site.  Only two daytime images a day, but the image quality is spectacular.  The posted image was at 1000m resolution, but you can zoom into a local area at 250m res.  Another nice feature is that you can see images everyday going back to 2007.  :D

EDIT:  I should point out that the two images a day are taken by two different satellites I believe.  Depending on the day one may be better than the other.  Sometimes they're both really good.  Just click back and forth on the "terra" and "aqua" tabs to see which image looks best for a specific location on the day in interest.

Great shots. I thought the dirty area in southern IN was a bit of a screwzone but it looks to be hoosier national forest

Won't say that come Saturday.... Just means one lost weekend for a region that lives and dies by winter sports... Hopefully its back after next monday.

Amazing how much the sun worked over the trails out in the open on Monday. Coming into work tonight, even here in Gaylord, the main trails are already down to a slushy mud/dirty snow mix. Another few days, and I strongly suspect all of our snowpack will be gone. 

couldnt ask for a better pattern here than Feb 2011. of course whats good for SE MI isnt necessarily good for SW MI and vice versa. It has been YEARS since we have seen a classic clipper pattern that sort of helps everyone. Talking one clipper after another, all taking slightly different tracks to spread the "wealth".

Nah man, in my book Feb 2010 was much better.

Another high res look.  Snowpack over Indiana and Ohio look pretty stout still.  Our snow that fell with the secondary deformation band 12/20 is clearly starting to fade away on satellite now.  Should be gone tomorrow.

jan7n.jpg

I like how you can obviously pick out every larger metro area in the visible by the reduction in snow (e.g. snow free roads, parking lots, cleared roofs, etc)

post-599-0-96323700-1357645486_thumb.jpg

Another high res look.  Snowpack over Indiana and Ohio look pretty stout still.  Our snow that fell with the secondary deformation band 12/20 is clearly starting to fade away on satellite now.  Should be gone tomorrow.

I like how you can obviously pick out every larger metro area in the visible by the reduction in snow (e.g. snow free roads, parking lots, cleared roofs, etc)

post-599-0-96323700-1357645486_thumb.jpg

Easily increases daily average temps locally.... Sadly those are where we have our longest records kept.

We are starting to see some ice here in Chicago…it's not ideal for LES folks to get your best cold mid winter when the lakes are at their coldest.

Frozen over Lakes not an issue in NWLM

There is little to no ICE on Lake Michigan/Grand Traverse Bay from TC toward Charlevoix. Ice probably goes out about 100 feet at best. I'm banking on a LES event next week here. My fingers are crossed. Would love to see it while I'm here.

Like many, I'm already looking forward to spring. February may still deliver, but waiting has worn me out mentally, and I'm ready to look forward to warmer weather.

I look at the bright side...each day it doesn't snow is another day that I don't have to share the road with the yahoos around here. It gets tough to navigate at times (LAF has some hilly areas) and the locals aren't exactly the most skilled winter weather drivers.

We are starting to see some ice here in Chicago…it's not ideal for LES folks to get your best cold mid winter when the lakes are at their coldest.

The winter has been probably 5 degrees above average, I doubt the lakes are going to be an issue. 

*IF* the GFS verified, that would probably bury the U.P and western lower snowbelts... That nice little low pressure that proceeds the cold dump will provide the instability.

Actually, it might get too cold for LES if the next few periods verify. Our luck eh?

The winter has been probably 5 degrees above average, I doubt the lakes are going to be an issue. 

*IF* the GFS verified, that would probably bury the U.P and western lower snowbelts... That nice little low pressure that proceeds the cold dump will provide the instability.

Actually, it might get too cold for LES if the next few periods verify. Our luck eh?

Short of the lakes freezing over how does it get too cold?  Even a frozen lake can still generate LES if the delta T is large enough (or at least that is my understanding).

Like many, I'm already looking forward to spring.  February may still deliver, but waiting has worn me out mentally, and I'm ready to look forward to warmer weather.

I understand the frustration living on that side of the lake, if the synoptic storm doesnt happen... You get shut out.

Compare both sides of the lake:

The forecast says "Light Snow showers", but thats the 7 day out computer generated forecast.... It could verify as a foot... Especially that progressively colder air down the road.

Like many, I'm already looking forward to spring.  February may still deliver, but waiting has worn me out mentally, and I'm ready to look forward to warmer weather.

I agree... This winter has been a shot to the gut thus far. If we continue on this track and February does not deliver, the "it cant be worse than last winter" line of thinking will be down the drain.

Short of the lakes freezing over how does it get too cold?  Even a frozen lake can still generate LES if the delta T is large enough (or at least that is my understanding).

I don't think it will be a problem, but sometimes the air is too dry and it makes for poor LES... Like I side, long shot on that happening. 

Frozen over Lakes not an issue in NWLM

There is little to no ICE on Lake Michigan/Grand Traverse Bay from TC toward Charlevoix. Ice probably goes out about 100 feet at best. I'm banking on a LES event next week here. My fingers are crossed. Would love to see it while I'm here.

Seawifs_lake_effect_snow.jpg

This happened in Dec 2001 after a TERRIBLE start to winter. Petoskey got 81 inches.

I look at the bright side...each day it doesn't snow is another day that I don't have to share the road with the yahoos around here. It gets tough to navigate at times (LAF has some hilly areas) and the locals aren't exactly the most skilled winter weather drivers.

Aw poor baby...roads too slick for ya? 

Seawifs_lake_effect_snow.jpg

This happened in Dec 2001 after a TERRIBLE start to winter. Petoskey got 81 inches.

That's a cool satellite image! Can see the LES clouds off of Lake Nipigon as well.

Ice is rarely an issue on the lakes outside of Lake Erie. It's been a long time since any of the other lakes have had enough ice to shut off the LES potential.

12z Euro close to ending it all for Chicago at 120 hours. 

Closer to home, it has a "drawn out" mixed bag event from late late Saturday through early Monday.

But I better pull against that scenario. Consensus in this sub-forum is for Spring to arrive immediately. And, we want the roads to be nice and dry as well. 

That's a really cool site! You can see the vegetation outlining the river valley's nicely. Yep, Sidewinder that's the Hoosier National Forest.

Up to 40° here with increasing clouds it seems.

I'm not ready for spring by a long shot!

12z Euro close to ending it all for Chicago at 120 hours. 

Closer to home, it has a "drawn out" mixed bag event from late late Saturday through early Monday.

But I better pull against that scenario. Consensus in this sub-forum is for Spring to arrive immediately. And, we want the roads to be nice and dry as well. 

The 12z Euro was a bad run...in agreement with the GFS for mood flakes and then cold and dry.  Pattern change mega storm is looking like a ghost.

The 12z Euro was a bad run...in agreement with the GFS for mood flakes and then cold and dry.  Pattern change mega storm is looking like a ghost.

Ah I see, now we're picking the least desirable solution and running with it. Good times in this sub-forum.

Archived