• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Maybe just one week of CRAP for you....but some of us have been buried in it for months!

A friend commutes weekly from Grand Rapids to Howell. He said not only is there more snowpack in SE MI than GRR, but on the road he notices when he gets west of Lansing for a while there is an area with NO snowcover! That is crazy. Things looking up for all past mid-month.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the weather might get snowy after the warm up. GFS has some very nice white dreams in the long term. Fantacy land yes but at least there is something to look forward too. The storms seem to start NW and march SE with every one dropping more southernly.

A friend commutes weekly from Grand Rapids to Howell. He said not only is there more snowpack in SE MI than GRR, but on the road he notices when he gets west of Lansing for a while there is an area with NO snowcover! That is crazy. Things looking up for all past mid-month.

Yeah, I know what area you're talking about. I saw it on my way back during Christmas.

We lost most of the little snowpack we had with yesterday's screw job. Atleast it will be easier to take this week's thaw not having to watch some nice snowpack vanish away. I sure hope we see SOME snow after mid month.

NWS showing us getting up to 39F next week...   Snowpack isn't very substantial around here, so its going to take a hard hit, if not disappear entirely, especially if the rain monster shows up. 

Your area does appear to miss the bulk of the torch... 39 is a reasonable call.

My backyard on the other hand is likely to hit 55.

Dude I'm telling ya...I'm kinda excited for the second half/post torch. I really think this is the best potential we've all had in a long time. Time will tell...

I know its long range, but the GFS and Euro are showing this cold snap to be temporary... 

We have the Neg NAO, but no block.

Fueled up and ready to go. Many seats available...

I'll jump on board...and I'll even give the driver a nice tip. :)

Reading the tea leaves in other sub-forums and on the main board, it appears we'll first jump into a gradient pattern after the potential pattern-changing storm around Jan. 12.  This will provide some opportunities for snow (with "decent" cold)...laying the foundation for more impressive cold for the last 10 days of the month.  Of course it's far out in time...but my main takeaway is that we shouldn't expect a quick change to real arctic cold.  

Selfishly in the short-term, I'm hoping the warm-up over the next 7 days doesn't destroy the snow cover up north too much.  We need as much snow cover as possible in order to fuel the gradient pattern and set the table for cold later on.

NWS point has us back into the upper 30s tomorrow and Tuesday, and then 40s from Wed-Sat.  Our 1-2" of snow cover should be all gone by Tue, so with the newly barren soil temps could easily overachieve later in the week.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a few 50s around these parts.  Just gonna embrace the warmth and enjoy it before the major surge of cold air.  Hopefully we can get some new snow cover by mid month.

I'll jump on board...and I'll even give the driver a nice tip. :)

Reading the tea leaves in other sub-forums and on the main board, it appears we'll first jump into a gradient pattern after the potential pattern-changing storm around Jan. 12. This will provide some opportunities for snow (with "decent" cold)...laying the foundation for more impressive cold for the last 10 days of the month. Of course it's far out in time...but my main takeaway is that we shouldn't expect a quick change to real arctic cold.

Selfishly in the short-term, I'm hoping the warm-up over the next 7 days doesn't destroy the snow cover up north too much. We need as much snow cover as possible in order to fuel the gradient pattern and set the table for cold later on.

Completely agree Beavis. It won't be instant arctic cold, but we don't want that. Core of the cold will be just to our west initially, which puts us in the battle zone. And I can't see it, deep cold, racing east immediately. It will eventually, for us, but in the meantime...a lot of potential fun to be had. Hopefully it all pans out. :)

lol, what?

Both sets of ensembles are good to go for cold from mid month onward. 

Completely agree Beavis. It won't be instant arctic cold, but we don't want that. Core of the cold will be just to our west initially, which puts us in the battle zone. And I can't see it, deep cold, racing east immediately. It will eventually, for us, but in the meantime...a lot of potential fun to be had. Hopefully it all pans out. :)

DLL is dropping the ball, so I'll post it:

post-830-0-76863500-1357493811_thumb.png

I'm liking those temperature profiles for some good midwinter action. As you said the GL/OV doesn't look to get dumped on with arctic air right away, but our area should be in play for any storm systems during this time period..

I don't have any 50s in my forecast, but mid 40s I do. I'll get my Christmas lights down during those milder days. Decreasing clouds now at 28°. Nice layer of ice on the driveway from yesterdays slush refreezing.

Yep, don't want Arctic air right away. That will only cause it to be drier than normal.

Dude I'm telling ya...I'm kinda excited for the second half/post torch. I really think this is the best potential we've all had in a long time. Time will tell...

The regime over the next several days is an absolute catastrophe for winter lovers...the period after that almost has to be better simply because it can snow when it's cold. There should be chances after we flip but somebody will probably come out of it feeling cheated.

Archived