• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Tonights lows have me wondering. Temp sitting at 34 and a forecast low of 20..... Looking at temps accross lower Mi I can't see the sudden drop comming.

DaddyLL nice walk you had today. Ice in these parts not ready for that kind of adventure. Although Lake Erie and St Claire are starting to chunk over. Love to see the beauty in everyones back yards.

Perhaps the cold will slosh back into the region after Jan thaw much like in Dec. The cold pushed SE with the storm track during the month. By looking at the GFS the same SE shift might work again.

Stayed overcast all night (as often happens here lol) so temps never did fall. They are actually falling now as the suns up. Snow is probably a frozen glacier now.

Oh, and yes, nice pics dll!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cut-off 1 is a lock for rain for the entire sub-forum, storm 2 (850 over MSP on 12z GFS) is a lock for rain for 100% of the subforum and beyond that concensus falls apart given typical pattern change issues. 

IMO Storm 3 looks to be right on the heels of 2, so much so that I don't expect the trough to go negative and don't expect much to come from it.

Storm 4, who knows but many of us will be risking suppression by that point.

Cut-off 1 is a lock for rain for the entire sub-forum, storm 2 (850 over MSP on 12z GFS) is a lock for rain for 100% of the subforum and beyond that concensus falls apart given typical pattern change issues.

IMO Storm 3 looks to be right on the heels of 2, so much so that I don't expect the trough to go negative and don't expect much to come from it.

Storm 4, who knows but many of us will be risking suppression by that point.

Storm 3 looks like an anafrontal type setup, at least on the GFS. Freezing rain in LAF at 144 hours on the 12z GFS...a KTIM special. :devilsmiley:

These will get wiped out quite easily by this time next week, should be sporting decent + departures by then...but here's the temperature departures for the first 6 days of January in central Indiana.

IND: -5.1º

EYE: -5.2º

LAF: -5.4º

GEZ: -6.5º

BMG: -6.6º

HUF: -7.0º

For storm 2, I think some areas in the subforum should get snow. Mostly rain, but DLL, mnweather, Andy, and Turtle in particular could see some snow.

After the cool down this weekend, I highly doubt will see any mild days like this week the rest of the month. Everything points to lengthy time below freezing.

The GFS is trying push the cold air too far east too fast. So I think the subforum will be under the gun for some snow systems through the 25th or so before a colder, drier air mass moves in.

we've been talking about the 1/15ish period for close to a week now...i'll be watching but don't feel all that optimistic.

I realize that...but I've been beating the drum with a little more positivity. :lol: 

Just nice to see HM thinking that period holds some promise for our region. That's all. He's pretty good at what he does. We'll see.

Locked? Not really.

Im talking cold-enough-to-snow cold, not epic cold. After this weeks warmup, every single signal, model, ensemble shows the cold returning. Its strength is to be determined, but its silly to make this typical (but annoying) January thaw anything more than that - a January thaw. If the GFS eases off the cold, we will hear "gfs already taming the cold" and if it strengthens the cold we will hear "great suppression here we come".

12z GFS almost says put a fork in Jan...at least this run... shows the cold shot, but its very tame compared to earlier runs...  Looks like rain later this week...temps still don't look to get very high here, so that should save most of the ice... 

My epic meltdown the other day was alluding to that.

I realize that...but I've been beating the drum with a little more positivity. :lol:

Just nice to see HM thinking that period holds some promise for our region. That's all. He's pretty good at what he does. We'll see.

Epic Chicago pattern this time?

Some of the east coast big dogs and many in our subforum saw the previous active pattern coming and it delivered...the midwest/lakes is a huge area, we'll see who gets lucky.

Archived