northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's one hell of a stubborn southeast ridge on the euro. I guess that's a good thing for us folks west of the apps. If the euro is up to it's old game of hanging energy back...and in reality it all comes out. Wow, with that southeast ridge and the cold drilling down the plains someone in this region is gonna get CLOCKED. It'll be interesting to see when/if we start to get a blockbuster storm concensus on the models soon. Damn, we all need something to track.

Sorry...what were we talking about? :lol:

Made it all the way up to 40 after starting at 12.  Due to the overachievement today DVN bumped the point for tomorrow up to 47.  Wouldn't be surprised to see 50.  Euro has us close to 60 with springlike humidity Saturday before the bottom falls out.  That will be an interesting day lol.

Snowpack took a hit today.  Can see some patches of grass around now.  Probably be all gone (except dirty piles) by late tomorrow afternoon.

Only 6-8" snow depth in Kalkaska County. Very similar to MBY which is extremely odd for Jan.

Traverse City you can see grass in a lot of areas/properties. Hit 40 today snow took a good hit. Maybe 2-3" OTG.

Mid Michigan from basically the Saginaw Bay toward Clare,Mi. No snow OTG.

Basically outside of the Detroit Area this winter has been horrible maybe except Gaylord to SSM has been a little decent but other then that. MEH.

Only 6-8" snow depth in Kalkaska County. Very similar to MBY which is extremely odd for Jan.

Traverse City you can see grass in a lot of areas/properties. Hit 40 today snow took a good hit. Maybe 2-3" OTG.

Mid Michigan from basically the Saginaw Bay toward Clare,Mi. No snow OTG.

Basically outside of the Detroit Area this winter has been horrible maybe except Gaylord to SSM has been a little decent but other then that. MEH.

LES has been non-existent... Remove LES and northern Michigan probably averages 40-60 inches, this includes the U.P.

Luckily there is enough for Snowmobiling. I seen a couple today actually around 131 SW of TC.

Won't say that come Saturday.... Just means one lost weekend for a region that lives and dies by winter sports... Hopefully its back after next monday.

I'd be happy with a 3-6" cold-fluff type clipper for my area.  DTX is beating GRR in terms of snowfall because the lake effect machine just hasn't performed.  The pattern has been way too progressive. 

We have to hope and pray like hell the cold comes in further west ( as the models etc HAD been advertising ) and we don't end up with a crappy -NAO type blocking pattern which is what has been killing us here in W.MI as the flow is typically more nnw/n/nne/ne off the lake when we get the crappy blocking. On top of that we also get suppression city.

I'd be happy with a 3-6" cold-fluff type clipper for my area.  DTX is beating GRR in terms of snowfall because the lake effect machine just hasn't performed.  The pattern has been way too progressive. 

We have to hope and pray like hell the cold comes in further west ( as the models etc HAD been advertising ) and we don't end up with a crappy -NAO type blocking pattern which is what has been killing us here in W.MI as the flow is typically more nnw/n/nne/ne off the lake when we get the crappy blocking. On top of that we also get suppression city.

It's been so long since I have seen a good pattern.... Forgot what they look like.

Almost fell over when I coaxed a winter-hating friend of mine to go hiking with me today. Used the sunshine and mild temps as an excuse why it wouldnt be "so bad". Went to Oakwoods Metropark...I cant get enough of these parks scattered throughout the area in winter/fall. They are like little pieces of up north right in metro-Detroit.

3363-800.jpg

3364-800.jpg

3365-800.jpg

3366-800.jpg

3367-800.jpg

3368-800.jpg

3369-800.jpg

It's been so long since I have seen a good pattern.... Forgot what they look like.

For here Feb 2010 was not bad but the last really good lasting pattern was back in Dec/Jan 2008-09.. Talking storm track though. Has been crappy on the LES front for a good number of years now here in W.MI. Not talking Berrien/far sw..  Had some spurts in 06/07 and 08-09 but that has been pretty much it since i moved here in 2004. One of the mets i talk to who works at GRR has been beyond frustrated with it all. He like me though thinks that eventually IT HAS to give and probably sooner rather then later. Going by averages alone it has been worse just to the west/nw of here. Tons of penny/nickle events is what has helped to keep the averages up here till last winter and ofcourse this winter anyways.

For here Feb 2010 was not bad but the last really good lasting pattern was back in Dec/Jan 2008-09.. Talking storm track though. Has been crappy on the LES front for a good number of years now here in W.MI. Had some spurts in 06/07 and 08-09 but that has been pretty much it since i moved here in 2004. One of the mets i talk to who works at GRR has been beyond frustrated with it all. He like me though thinks that eventually IT HAS to give and probably sooner rather then later. Going by averages alone it has been worse just to the west/nw of here. Tons of penny/nickle events is what has helped to keep the averages up here till last winter and ofcourse this winter anyways.

couldnt ask for a better pattern here than Feb 2011. of course whats good for SE MI isnt necessarily good for SW MI and vice versa. It has been YEARS since we have seen a classic clipper pattern that sort of helps everyone. Talking one clipper after another, all taking slightly different tracks to spread the "wealth".

couldnt ask for a better pattern here than Feb 2011. of course whats good for SE MI isnt necessarily good for SW MI and vice versa. It has been YEARS since we have seen a classic clipper pattern that sort of helps everyone. Talking one clipper after another, all taking slightly different tracks to spread the "wealth".

Closest would be 2007-08 but that ofcourse was a result of a hyperactive favorable storm track vs clippers.

For here Feb 2010 was not bad but the last really good lasting pattern was back in Dec/Jan 2008-09.. Talking storm track though. Has been crappy on the LES front for a good number of years now here in W.MI. Not talking Berrien/far sw.. Had some spurts in 06/07 and 08-09 but that has been pretty much it since i moved here in 2004. One of the mets i talk to who works at GRR has been beyond frustrated with it all. He like me though thinks that eventually IT HAS to give and probably sooner rather then later. Going by averages alone it has been worse just to the west/nw of here. Tons of penny/nickle events is what has helped to keep the averages up here till last winter and ofcourse this winter anyways.

Yup, this is why I had a "meltdown". Locals here are just amazed at how snowless it has been.

Josh, I like your snow pics. You guys still have a beautiful snow cover. We are down to grass in most places with an inch in shady and protected areas.

Enhanced for visuals.

wisgif13-1.jpg?t=1357604512

Another high res look.  Snowpack over Indiana and Ohio look pretty stout still.  Our snow that fell with the secondary deformation band 12/20 is clearly starting to fade away on satellite now.  Should be gone tomorrow.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/jan7n.jpg/'>jan7n.jpg

Another high res look.  Snowpack over Indiana and Ohio look pretty stout still.  Our snow that fell with the secondary deformation band 12/20 is clearly starting to fade away on satellite now.  Should be gone tomorrow.

jan7n.jpg

AWESOME shot! Do you have a link for these images?

I enhanced it a bit. Its amazing how well defined the snowcover is on these hi-res shots on a day when just a few wispy clouds are present

post-276-0-08676400-1357622667_thumb.jpg

AWESOME shot! Do you have a link for these images?

I enhanced it a bit. Its amazing how well defined the snowcover is on these hi-res shots on a day when just a few wispy clouds are present

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/

I love this site.  Only two daytime images a day, but the image quality is spectacular.  The posted image was at 1000m resolution, but you can zoom into a local area at 250m res.  Another nice feature is that you can see images everyday going back to 2007.  :D

EDIT:  I should point out that the two images a day are taken by two different satellites I believe.  Depending on the day one may be better than the other.  Sometimes they're both really good.  Just click back and forth on the "terra" and "aqua" tabs to see which image looks best for a specific location on the day in interest.

Archived