• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

I was just getting at that rain during the winter doesn't fill ground water supplies up unless you're in an area with a lack of frost depth. This rain might help raise the Mississippi River up enough stave off a barge halt because the water level is so low.

Anyway, sounds like you have a good time in the great white north!

Just a few flakes now. Never really saw any drizzle or sleet today.

I think bows point has more to do with the record low water levels on Lake Michigan etc.. Why i say any type of precip ( rain/snow/sleet ) is good precip right now across this region.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF is it with the winter cancellation type posts? Sure I95 corridor may struggle ( especially south of Boston ) for a while but most in this region should be set after this week. :huh:  Most of what JB cries about has to do with I95 not this region.

Oh and Ottawa you need to chill.

+105

Yes on both. I took him to the Bird Park hill. He gets a lil freaked out of the river at at the bottom of poop hill, lol.

lol yeah, can't blame him really. Too many times when I was young we ended up skidding out onto the ice at poop hill. Well, if there was ice on the river. Bird Park works...at least the hill there isn't pointed directly at the river.  :lol:

WTF is it with the winter cancellation type posts? Sure I95 corridor may struggle ( especially south of Boston ) for a while but most in this region should be set after this week. :huh:  Most of what JB cries about has to do with I95 not this region.

My last post was intended to be funny. JB always used to throw that joke out. I imagine he'll be "feeling the heat" from his I-95 subscribers over the next week. Only goes to show that being a meteorologist is a "high pressure job".

I'm sure winter will return after next week after which I will most certainly be able to chill. :)

I think bows point has more to do with the record low water levels on Lake Michigan etc.. Why i say any type of precip ( rain/snow/sleet ) is good precip right now across this region.

The lake is definitely important. We need a wet pattern all around to start bringing them all up.

I mention ground water because I'm on a well and have studied ground water movements and recharge.

The CPC outlooks look good. Let's hope some of it's snow! lol

37°/17° for today.

Have had a blast the past week or so. The cold and snow on the ground has done wonders to my outlook. As for tonights snow about 0.2" totals as of now. Wonder how much more??? Might hit the 1/2" mark.... Full salt run no matter what!! $$$

As for the lakes, a quick storm or two will not do much. The ground water table is so low that any substancial liquid get sucked up by the soil. Haven't seen a puddle in months in this region. I'm hoping for a very long winter with lots of snow pack followed by a spring with many heavy flood like rains. There were boat docks yesterday with no water under them, NTM the boat on the slings suspended over rocks !!

00z MEX is popping a 61 here next Saturday, which would be almost 30 degrees above average. I don't know if I've ever seen that a week out.

Nice to see MEX MOS has the LAF warm bias integrated. Highest temp in the state for next Saturday outside of EVV and HNB.

Cold surge is still on target.....

Yesterday it was 216 hours out until the front comes through, now its 180 hours.. We just have to grind through until Sunday, one week of CRAP... maybe 6 days techincally, supposed to be low 30's here tomorrow.

Dec 21st - Jan 7th:    Cold

Jan 8th   -  Jan 13th: Warm

Jan 14th - ???????:  Cold 

I can't believe the GFS is that warm this far out, but it warrant's it.

And it's still to cool in many spots.

Obviously initially snow cover North of me will definitely help out a bit.  But this Cut-Off keeps being slowed down, it's likely still a bit to fast and heights keep getting pumped up and mid-level temps continue to come in warmer and the models are finally catching on to more realistic surface temps in a scenario like this.

My Snow is already almost all gone.  So it doesn't matter much now.  From a forecaster's perspective the models leading up to this will get better but in many area's will be over playing the left over snow cover.  Tough forecast's coming up.

00zgfs500mbHeightAnomalyNA108.gif?t=1357

Anyone the GGEM after 144?

00_054_G1_northamericazoomout_I_4PA-1.jp

The GGEM appears to have a bit of a longer lasting Torch than the GFS.  I do not like that energy swinging so far to the SW and closing off at 144 with the ridge building over the South and not depicted here but very warm air flowing in from the Deep South West Flow.

Cold surge is still on target.....

Yesterday it was 216 hours out until the front comes through, now its 180 hours.. We just have to grind through until Sunday, one week of CRAP... maybe 6 days techincally, supposed to be low 30's here tomorrow.

Dec 21st - Jan 7th: Cold

Jan 8th - Jan 13th: Warm

Jan 14th - ???????: Cold

Maybe just one week of CRAP for you....but some of us have been buried in it for months!

I know, right!? Its not even like the models are showing some massive lasting torch. It will get warm, and very likely melt all our snow (we have had snow on the ground since Dec 21st), but after a few days right back into winter we go.

We had a fresh 0.6" of fluffy snow tonight (0.03" water content), very interesting in that it stuck to everything including the pavement, did a very nice refresher job of the snowpack, and yet temps were 32-33F while it snowed and have since risen to 34F, yet the snow is still sitting there with a nice fresh look. Feels balmy outside, looks a winter wonderland. Small amounts of fresh snow do WONDERS for an old snowpack, especially around the edges.

Archived