Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

34 on my thermometer.  Bye bye snow.

Must be better WAA up where you are at!

I don't think areas outside of the NE IL snow hole are going to lose much today. The snow is so frozen and dense that it would probably take a 40° afternoon to melt it off. If this was low density snow, then I would have been gone by the time we hit 30° late this morning with sun.

SREF didn't even have you hitting freezing today!

t2m_0C_12.gif

Sometimes it's best to start off with a fresh snow cover again. Gets mangy looking like cyclone said yesterday.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be a rich guy if I had a dollar for every time the GFS 2m temps were underdone. That being said, there is snowpack to deal with and some uncertainty about how things evolve as far as the cutoff so there are reasons to not go all out yet.

I think the summertime GFS problems were fixed in August of this year. It had something to do with soil moisture. As far as the cool season temperatures-- I don't really know what it is. If you look at the GFS MOS and MEX MOS, they have higher max temperatures than the 2m temperature directly from the GFS (at the warmest hour of the day.) and maybe for the entire 24-hour period (not sure.)

LOT mentioned this earlier this week regarding the cold bias the GFS is showing.

OBJECTIVE GUIDANCE WAS ABOUT 5F TOO COLD FOR HIGHS TUES IN AREAS

WITH BARE GROUND AND MODEL INITIALIZATION OF THE SNOW COVER HAS BEEN

HORRID...WITH IT THINKING THERE IS NEAR 4" OF SNOW COVER OVER MUCH

OF CHICAGO AREA AND UPWARDS OF 9 INCHES IN FAR SE CWA. THE POOR

HANDLING OF SNOW COVER IS LIKELY CONTRIBUTING TO POOR TEMPERATURE

FORECASTS AND A COLD BIAS IN BOTH MODEL 2M TEMPS AND STATISTICALLY

DERIVED MOS NUMBERS. THE CHALLENGE THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS IS TRYING

TO DETERMINE HOW MUCH OF A COLD BIAS THE MODELS ARE EXHIBITING AND

THEREFORE TEMP FORECAST IS LOWER CONFIDENCE THAN AVERAGE.

Feels good to be back after 6 days off the weather forum..  quick glance at euro still shows the torch. figures after we just bought a boring touring snowmobile last sunday. At least we got this whole past week in riding on primo trails right out the garage door of my friends cabin near Horicon. Hopefully this torch saves some base but even if it does I have a gut feeling we'll be waiting until Feb before the sled leaves from that garage again unless we get a trailer. Even if we don't get out again this winter it was an awesome week vacation and the wife is hooked and wants her own sled now..

Feels good to be back after 6 days off the weather forum..  quick glance at euro still shows the torch. figures after we just bought a boring touring snowmobile last sunday. At least we got this whole past week in riding on primo trails right out the garage door of my friends cabin near Horicon. Hopefully this torch saves some base but even if it does I have a gut feeling we'll be waiting until Feb before the sled leaves from that garage again unless we get a trailer. Even if we don't get out again this winter it was an awesome week vacation and the wife is hooked and wants her own sled now..

Stebo?

Jon

I like how the Euro is all on board with the late period cold surge.

Hour 144 the GEM has the freezing line up to central Wisconsin, while the GFS has it up to the Hudson Bay!

I just don't see above freezing temps making it above Lake Superior.... the snowpack is over 2 feet there.

I was pretty confident that without the March torch we had no way of breaking 2012's high temp record... Starting to think we will.

This winter will finish +5 and than the western drought will torch us with easy to heat soil...

I mean seriously, whats it going to take to get that pacific back to normal?

Its one crap run, but the GFS shreds the cold pool with pacific piss as always.

Its ok man...breath.

Seem to have no issues pumping death ridges up this way but getting good chill is difficult. Honestly I think most of us would pass on a long duration dry, cold arctic airmass. The pre/post Christmas pattern seems to be producing anyways.

Its ok man...breath.

Seem to have no issues pumping death ridges up this way but getting good chill is difficult. Honestly I think most of us would pass on a long duration dry, cold arctic airmass. The pre/post Christmas pattern seems to be producing anyways.

As long as there is snow, who cares?

Lakes freeze and other activities are possible. 

Look, we all have our purposes for being weather fanatics... But the majority of cold weather fans have recreational interests,  probably 95%. I prefer cold to warm for obvious reason, censored reasons.

Yes, Jonger - breath! It was the 18z GFS after all! You know the 18z GFS can throw some off the wall solutions out there - it seems. If we get a high pressure to span into the high Arctic and/or over the pole, the cold air will only have one way to go - south! And it won't be able to escape off the East Coast if there is blocking, which is very common with a -AO.

Hopefully we have a good active period as we transition from run of the mill January cold to polar cold. I do think will have a cold period like early Feb. 2007 sometime this winter. Hopefully when it's really cold out we can all enjoy nice LES and snow from Clippers while the storm track is across the OV or wherever it might be pushed to.

Going to be a real bummer if we fall short of a record because of a scant inch that melts 30 minutes later.

Don't worry, Chi Storm knows his way around ORD. He'll have a broom in hand to take care of the snowboard.

It's looking like you could see an inch though, barely.

Archived