• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

Looks like STL will be -30 or so on the month by the 6th or 7th Before we get 3 or 4 days of +10, 19, 26, 39, 18, then back down to 3-5 departures.

And After a seemingly even warm/cold snap with snow cover things will end up warm because orca few days.

It's the opposite of back in the old days of three days in a row like:

12/-8

9/-16

14/-12

So those days would be -30below normal up to -35f in rare events.

Now it might go 12/0, 18/3, 22/6 and its -15 to -20f at the max.

But that is increasingly rare.

More importantly the Snow Cover is gonna go. Big changes to the regional ability to radiative force when millions of square kilometers of area is brown or green vs white .

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like STL will be -30 or so on the month by the 6th or 7th Before we get 3 or 4 days of +10, 19, 26, 39, 18, then back down to 3-5 departures.

And After a seemingly even warm/cold snap with snow cover things will end up warm because orca few days.

12/-8

9/-16

14/-12

More importantly the Snow Cover is gonna go. Big changes to the regional ability to radiative force when millions of square kilometers of area is brown or green vs white .

The old days were before you were born and they varied by less than 1-2 degrees max.

Jon

Friv, I'm going to start a banter thread in CC....

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/38652-climate-change-banter/?p=1978116

Ahhh yea. At 7pm I had 9" but I remember it Abruptly stopped by Midnight. 13.1" final total here. I used to write snow totals down on a calender. How times have changed.

Indeed. I actually went to bed around 9-10pm and slept all through the night. :lol: Now, I was only 13 at the time, but still...+SN/+PL/TSSN and sleep? Doesn't seem like the normal course of action for wx weenie. But I always point to Jan 1999 as where my like for snow turned into a lust. 

In an unusual turn of events (caused mostly the variable intervals of overcast and clear last night), DTW was one of the colder spots in SE MI last night, bottoming out at 7F. THE cold spot, of course, was ARB at -4F lol.

Has anyone else in SE MI noticed the snowcover, which is settled powder, has that bumpy look that you get from wet snow usually? The snowbanks on the side of the road are frozen, but yet that bumpy look exists in some spots where grass/dirt lies beneath the snow. Wonder if the warm ground temps had anything to do with things? Its the only thing I can think of. There has been some snow on the ground since Dec 21st (the good "insulating" kind since Dec 26th), and before that it was all-out torch, so the ground never had time to get too cold.

Cannot believe the blizzard of '99 was already 14 years ago!!!

Indeed. I actually went to bed around 9-10pm and slept all through the night. :lol: Now, I was only 13 at the time, but still...+SN/+PL/TSSN and sleep? Doesn't seem like the normal course of action for wx weenie. But I always point to Jan 1999 as where my like for snow turned into a lust. 

I was 18 at the time. I remember it well. Very heavy snow through the evening and overnight. It's the only time I can recall The Weather Network forecasting a blizzard for Toronto. The snow was just pouring out of the sky. I've only seen snow like that on three other occasions: December 10,1992, December 16,2007 and March 8,2008 (the latter two in Ottawa).

That is why It is very hard to feel sorry for your area not getting snow. Before you know it you will be over 40-50" on the year.

I sure hope so. We are at about 20% of our normal snowfall for the year, which explains my frustration. Although we have a snowpack, it is only about an inch or two...and the grass is showing quite well in areas exposed to sun and wind. We have yet to see EVERYTHING covered in a snowpack. So, I am hoping that this is our shot.

12/-8

9/-16

14/-12

Can you show me a few charts to back this up?

I sure hope so. We are at about 20% of our normal snowfall for the year, which explains my frustration. Although we have a snowpack, it is only about an inch or two...and the grass is showing quite well in areas exposed to sun and wind. We have yet to see EVERYTHING covered in a snowpack. So, I am hoping that this is our shot.

You should do well from this event. Basically everyplace from about Holland to as far in as say Grand Rapids on up the lake should do well. Per radar it is just starting to fire. Good luck! Probably a inch or two at most down this way. With LES you never know though so it could be more or less.

I sure do! I hope it happens. The biggest surprises around here seem to come from SW flow lake enhanced events. :)

SW flow tends to be better for Muskegon than here.  I miss out on the NW and SW fairly easily since I am at the widest part of the lake and everything goes around me.  Good luck Blackrock.  Hopefully I can get a couple of inches out of it.

You should do well from this event. Basically everyplace from about Holland to as far in as say Grand Rapids on up the lake should do well. Per radar it is just starting to fire. Good luck! Probably a inch or two at most down this way. With LES you never know though so it could be more or less.

SW flow tends to be better for Muskegon than here.  I miss out on the NW and SW fairly easily since I am at the widest part of the lake and everything goes around me.  Good luck Blackrock.  Hopefully I can get a couple of inches out of it.

Thanks, guys. I see on the radar that it is just getting started.

I was 18 at the time. I remember it well. Very heavy snow through the evening and overnight. It's the only time I can recall The Weather Network forecasting a blizzard for Toronto. The snow was just pouring out of the sky. I've only seen snow like that on three other occasions: December 10,1992, December 16,2007 and March 8,2008 (the latter two in Ottawa).

Really sucks that no matter how much I've tried I haven't been able to find any Toronto related footage of that storm floating around the internet. I know cell cams weren't very common (did they exist at all?) back then, but still you'd think someone would have taken out one of those 15 lbs retro camcorders for such a historic event. 

In an unusual turn of events (caused mostly the variable intervals of overcast and clear last night), DTW was one of the colder spots in SE MI last night, bottoming out at 7F. THE cold spot, of course, was ARB at -4F lol.

Has anyone else in SE MI noticed the snowcover, which is settled powder, has that bumpy look that you get from wet snow usually? The snowbanks on the side of the road are frozen, but yet that bumpy look exists in some spots where grass/dirt lies beneath the snow. Wonder if the warm ground temps had anything to do with things? Its the only thing I can think of. There has been some snow on the ground since Dec 21st (the good "insulating" kind since Dec 26th), and before that it was all-out torch, so the ground never had time to get too cold.

Cannot believe the blizzard of '99 was already 14 years ago!!!

I can remember that storm like it was yesterday. The lightning was sick and the rates were flat out insane. Nothing to date even comes close!!!

Archived